• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel Card & Boundary Zone 6 ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
Hi guys.

On a combination of a Off-peak Zone 1-6 travelcard, and the return portion of a SOR Boundary zone 6 - Gatwick Airport, what would be the earliest that I could leave Gatwick?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Presumably you'd have to enter zone 6 after 0930.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonic2009

Established Member
edit forgot a boundary ticket was being used :)

I'd say possibly 1F11, this train passes Earlswood at 0925 and passes Purley at 0934. So it must enter the boundary around 0929/0930?.

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Interesting question. Since Boundary Zone tickets are in effect an excess fare, being only valid with a Travelcard, I wonder if the Travelcard restriction (B1, at or after 0930) would mean the combination is only valid at the same times?

John @ home

Established Member
Boundary Zone tickets are in effect an excess fare
I agree that we encounter fewer anomalies when we regard Gatwick Airport - Boundary Zone 6 as not a ticket but an excess fare voucher which converts an in-boundary 6-zone Travelcard into a Gatwick Airport - London Zones 1-6 ticket.
I wonder if the Travelcard restriction (B1, at or after 0930) would mean the combination is only valid at the same times?
But the relevant Gatwick Airport - London Zones 1-6 Travelcard has restriction C0, (arrive London or Kensington O at or after 0950).

34D

Established Member
I agree that we encounter fewer anomalies when we regard Gatwick Airport - Boundary Zone 6 as not a ticket but an excess fare voucher which converts an in-boundary 6-zone Travelcard into a Gatwick Airport - London Zones 1-6 ticket.

But presumably our man had the choice of SOR or SVR/CDR and chose the more expensive ticket for the extra validity it offers....

Though a side-question could be whether a travelcard extension can be an open ticket when the travelcard itself is an off-peak one?

John @ home

Established Member
But presumably our man had the choice of SOR or SVR/CDR and chose the more expensive ticket for the extra validity it offers.
Indeed. It seems to me that Dan used a One Day Travelcard and outward portion of a SOR Boundary Zone 6 - Gatwick Airport on one day, and that this thread is about the use of the return portion on another day.
Though a side-question could be whether a travelcard extension can be an open ticket when the travelcard itself is an off-peak one?
I don't see why not. The combination would carry no time restrictions outside Zones 1-6 only.

34D

Established Member
I don't see why not. The combination would carry no time restrictions outside Zones 1-6 only.

Makes sense. So as long as they don't attempt <last station outside the zones> to <zone 6 outer boundary> before 09:30 they are valid?

Then again, it could be more favourable to the passenger if the combination (z1-6 off peak, and extension ticket) adopt the t&c of a gatwick outboundary travelcard.... as already stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.