• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TrawsCambria / TrawsCymru

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If they really think that, how about moving to the next stage of full integration with the railway timetable and fare system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fair enough but I think you've misinterpreted it a bit. It compliments the rail network by providing those long distance services where rail ordinarily would (after the Beeching cuts). They're not designed to feed into the rail network per se - not their primary aim - but they obviously have a number of locations where they do as a secondary aim so through ticketing should be on the agenda.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
In that case, through ticketing in the Valleys should really be a thing. Really, you should have through ticketing to Pontypool town centre, Blackwood, Gelligaer, Gorseinon, Porthcawl, Tredegar, Llantrisant, and Abertillery.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A Welsh national, zonal Verbundtarif for bus and rail, leaving ORCATS for "international" journeys only, would be an interesting experiment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Quite true - remember what the explicit purpose of TC is a network of "medium- to long-distance, strategically important bus services that connect key towns in Wales and which complement the rail network."
Indeed, but the Welsh Government seems happy to ignore that when it is convient to them; the Cardiff Airport Express isn't long distance and doesn't connect towns. Yet it is labeled as part of TrawsCymru, presumably because the buses the Welsh Government had available happened to have TrawsCymru written on the seat covers. Whether or not the Cardiff Airport Express is a good idea, it doesn't really seem like a good fit for TrawsCymru if you ask me.

WelshBuses93

What are the loadings like on the T9s now as when I visited Cardiff last June, the service didn't seem too busy with less than 10 passengers on both trips I made on the service?

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Have First introduced any new buses on the T1 recently? On Saturday I saw SL63GBY running park and ride services in Carmarthen in un-branded TrawsCymru livery. Is this an extra bus which will be joining the fleet or is it a former TrawsCymru vehicle that has been replaced?

http://democracy.monmouthshire.gov.uk/documents/s3733/Transport Update.pdf

Mentions a suggested service between Abergavenny and Chepstow/Newport via Monmouth.
Why is Newport on the end there? Abergavenny-Monmouth sounds like it might be sensible (even better if it is an extension of the proposed Brecon-Abergavenny TrawsCymru service), and I suppose as a Welsh Government funded service it would have to go somewhere in Wales (Chepstow), rather than across the border to Gloucester. But Abergavenny to Newport via Monmouth and Chepstow just looks really silly, particularly when there is a main line rail link between Abergavenny and Newport.

WelshBuses93

SL63GBY has only been recently painted from Fforestfach Park & Ride livery.

I thought it looked a little long. Though running from Brecon to Chepstow would sound better or you could extend the service to Swansea on the X63/ 63 corridor.

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Or converting to busway! ;) would be interesting. :)

Just the little problem of replacing the bridges, tunnels, closing the Tintern Station facility, dealing with endless protests about loss of footpaths/cycleways etc all for a bus service that just about manages to retain an hourly service!

adey2011

A Lloyds Coaches driver told me they have been contracted to run the T3 on Thursday 14/7/16.

Lloyds Coaches are operating the following T3 services -

Ex Wrexham - 0635, 0905, 1105, 1325, 1525, 2025.
Ex Barmouth - 0605, 0825, 1050, 1250, 1705, 2300.

317 forever

Established Member
A Lloyds Coaches driver told me they have been contracted to run the T3 on Thursday 14/7/16.

I wonder whether Lloyds will use current TrawsCymru stock retrieved from GHA or source their own stock? I'm sure the TC stock is owned by the Welsh Assembly and would move with the change of operator.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I wonder whether Lloyds will use current TrawsCymru stock retrieved from GHA or source their own stock? I'm sure the TC stock is owned by the Welsh Assembly and would move with the change of operator.
The Tempos on the T4 and T9 owned by the assembly* I believe, as are the ones with Richards Bros (some in T5 livery and some not), but I don't know if any of the other TrawsCymru vehicles are.

I think the T1 at least uses vehicles which were already First's before TrawsCymru came along, and Richards Bros use 3 Pulsars and an MCV Evolution on the T5 which were used on the service before it became TrawsCymru (at least one of those was leased from Arriva at some point I think).

* or possibly the relevant county councils, but either way I'm pretty sure the funding to buy them came from WAG

adey2011

Lloyds Coaches are operating the following T3 services -

Ex Wrexham - 0635, 0905, 1105, 1325, 1525, 2025.
Ex Barmouth - 0605, 0825, 1050, 1250, 1705, 2300.

From yesterday (18/07/16) Lloyds Coaches starting operating the full T3 timetable with only a slight change to the first bus away from Wrexham in the mornings. Please see Traws Cymru service 3 and Cygnor Gwynedd timetables.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
From yesterday (18/07/16) Lloyds Coaches starting operating the full T3 timetable with only a slight change to the first bus away from Wrexham in the mornings. Please see Traws Cymru service 3 and Cygnor Gwynedd timetables.
Have they aquired the T3-branded buses from GHA? And were these GHA-owned or WAG-owned?

adey2011

Lloyds are using YY16 YJT an ADL Enviro in dealer white livery on service T3, Lloyds have also registered Arran Road, Dolgellau as an operating centre for 10 vehicles. Does anyone know where they keep the 3 vehicles kept overnight in the Wrexham area?

pemma

Veteran Member
Have they aquired the T3-branded buses from GHA? And were these GHA-owned or WAG-owned?

The T3 vehicles are WAG owned.

Scania YR14 HLU was branded for the T3 but was not WAG owned, it was leased to GHA and was reposed by the leasing company (along with 3 other buses) prior to GHA going in to administration due to GHA failing to pay the leasing company on time.

The last GHA service to operate was the 23:00 T3 from Barmouth on 13th July operated using Cheshire Connect Solo YJ59 GHA! Reportedly the driver ignored information that all services were suspended and buses were to return to the depots because he didn't want to let the passengers down.

adey2011

Lloyds have also acquired YYT16 YJW and YY16 YJX to go with YY16 YJT delivered last week with one more to arrive.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Scania YR14 HLU was branded for the T3 but was not WAG owned, it was leased to GHA and was reposed by the leasing company (along with 3 other buses) prior to GHA going in to administration due to GHA failing to pay the leasing company on time.
Thanks. What about the double-deckers?

pemma

Veteran Member
The 3 Scania's and the Enviro200 are owned by the Welsh Government.

If the T3 timetable is still the same those buses can't cover all services so the operator needs to provide additional buses even if there's none of the WAG vehicles available due to servicing or repairs. GHA were good as advertising certain bus routes as premium routes with leather seats, wi-fi etc. and then using bog standard buses on some services on those routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.