• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triva - Station with the most number of "first stations" served by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
Ashburys only has three in normal service (Ardwick, Gorton and Belle Vue), but that rises to seven with four other possibles (Manchester Victoria, Moston, Ashton-under-Lyne and Denton).

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ashford is interesting as literally all the high speed stations have avoiding lines. So St Pancras counts as well as Lille Europe and Gare du Nord? :D

The lines without platforms at Calais Frethun and Ebbsfleet International are not avoiders as they go through the station (or very close to it) therefore they are the genuine first stations on the High Speed Lines from Ashford. You therefore cannot count Lille, St Pancras or Gare du Nord.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
The lines without platforms at Calais Frethun and Ebbsfleet International are not avoiders as they go through the station therefore they are the genuine first stations on the High Speed Lines from Ashford. You therefore cannot count Lille, St Pancras or Gare du Nord.
What station is passed through, though, really? An over bridge of sorts? It’s tricky but I’ll go by your judgement.

Is Fawksham Junction before or after Ebbsfleet?

johnnychips

Established Member
A few people haven’t read the original post. As I understand it, the ‘first station’ is one from the one you are talking about which has a scheduled but not necessarily stopping service passing through it. So from Doncaster, for example, Gainsborough Lea Road counts as a timetabled service passes through it (indeed stops there). However, Gainsborough Central wouldn’t: you could drive a train there directly from Doncaster certainly without passing another station but there aren’t any passenger trains. That’s why Denton and Ashburys don’t count from Manchester Vic.

notlob.divad

Established Member
I took it to mean how many "first stations" there are on separate physical routes, not how many first stops there are on the services from a station.

For example, Lime Street would then have one first station, Edge Hill, as everything passes it whether it stops or not (in the same way as Vauxhall for London Waterloo as in the original post)
That was my understanding,which wpuld make Liverpool Lime Street as 2. Edge Hill and Liverpool Central.

Dr Strider

brum new st

Five Ways
Smethwick Rolfe St
Hamstead
Duddleston
Water Orton
Adderley Park
Small heath (Trains dont do that now but they have in the past!)
Kings Norton via Kings Heath

or are the last 2 cheating?

I reckon Birmingham New Street has another two "first stations":

Perry Barr (via Soho South and Perry Barr South junctions)
Bournville (via Camp Hill and Lifford Curve)

The Perry Barr route has at least one passenger service per day (possibly only in one direction).
New Street to New Street (via Lifford and Bournville) is a fairly common ECS working I think.

I reckon that gives New Street a total of ten "first stations".

Dr Strider

If we’re allowed Underground and DLR as well as main line then Stratford must come high. Off the top of my head

Leyton,
Maryland
West Ham
Stratford High Street
Stratford International
Bow Church
Mile End
Hackney Wick
Lea Bridge
Liverpool St

yorksrob

Veteran Member
What station is passed through, though, really? An over bridge of sorts? It’s tricky but I’ll go by your judgement.

Is Fawksham Junction before or after Ebbsfleet?

Before - so Ashford can legitimately claim eight next stops, including Farningham Road !

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Before - so Ashford can legitimately claim eight next stops, including Farningham Road !

Isn't Fawkham Junction to Southfleet Junction officially disused these days? It's even been used to store withdrawn 373s prior to their bering removed for scrap last year.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I reckon Birmingham New Street has another two "first stations":

Perry Barr (via Soho South and Perry Barr South junctions)
Bournville (via Camp Hill and Lifford Curve)

The Perry Barr route has at least one passenger service per day (possibly only in one direction).
New Street to New Street (via Lifford and Bournville) is a fairly common ECS working I think.

I reckon that gives New Street a total of ten "first stations".

Dr Strider

There is one late night XC service which is booked to via Perry Barr (21:45 Reading - New Street), plus WMT have put on kickball specials to Witton in the past (not sure if they still do, or the routing as the 323 used to go round in a circle so might have only used that curve ECS)

Jonny

Established Member
The no platforms argument has been disallowed for Ashford - why does it not apply for others?

In some cases, moves 'through' a station area to another station cannot make calls at the first station, (e.g. Salford Crescent for trains between Manchester Victoria and either Eccles or Deansgate due to the platforms being decomissioned).

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The no platforms argument has been disallowed for Ashford - why does it not apply for others?

I've got somewhat lost by the intricacies of this sub-argument, and it's up to Mag_seven as the OP to adjudicate, but it seems to me that the issue hinges on whether the fast lines pass through a station. In other words, even if there are no platforms on fast lines, do they run inside the station boundary . In the case of Ashford, it was proposed that we allow Stratford International as a first destination because fast lines miss out platforms at Ebbsfleet. However, a look at Google maps shows that those fast lines run beneath the ticket office to straddle either side of the platforms. Hence the fast lines do pass through Ebbsfleet station (in the sense that they run inside the station boundaries). Therefore you can't allow anything beyond Ebbsfleet as a first station for Ashford. Again from Google maps, a similar argument applies to Calais Fréthun, so no stations beyond there allowed.

Accordingly, I'd say DanNCL was correct about Ashford International:

Ashford International has 7: Pluckley, Charing, Westenhanger, Wye, Ham Street, Ebbsfleet International and Calais Frethun.

(I would disallow Yorksrob's suggestion of Farningham Road because - as far as I'm aware - no regular scheduled passenger trains run on the old connection to HS1)

scrapy

Established Member
Manchester Victoria:

Deansgate
Eccles
Salford Central
Salford Crescent (via Chat Moss lines / Ordsall Lane)
Moston
Ashton under Lyne
Denton
Ashburys
If you're allowing Ashburys by use of a freight only line then you should also allow Gorton as it is possible to go round the back of the platforms at Ashburys without passing through the station.

scrapy

Established Member
Man Vic has 7
Moston, (down fast,) Ashton u Lyme, down slow) Manchester Piccadilly via Ashbury's (technically ECS only) deansgate via the chord, Salford Central,- (down Salford,) Salford crescent via ordsall lane, Eccles via chat moss.

All possible first stops.
It is not possible to get to Man Picc without going all the way from Ashburys to Guide Bridge and shunting. At which point you will have passed through 4 other stations twice plus Ardwick once.

scrapy

Established Member
In some cases, moves 'through' a station area to another station cannot make calls at the first station, (e.g. Salford Crescent for trains between Manchester Victoria and either Eccles or Deansgate due to the platforms being decomissioned).
I don't believe there have ever been any platforms at Salford Central towards Eccles or Deansgate. The lines have been moved over when Ordsall Chord was built towards Deansgate and now run through where the disused platforms were when it was originally 4 tracked towards Windsor Bridge (where Salford Crescent is now).

bionic

Going back to previous posts (too many to quote)... can anyone top London Bridge's ten?

Waterloo East
Cannon Street
Blackfriars
Deptford
New Cross
Lewisham
Ladywell
Hither Green
New Cross Gate
South Bermomdsey

(It's already been discussed that the up and down fast lines avoid platforms at New Cross and St Johns).

bionic

As an aside, I doubt it can match London Bridge but it's occurred to me that Victoria has more possibles than first meets the eye:

Brixton
Denmark Hill
Elephant & Castle (via Canterbury Road)
Wandsworth Road (via Stewart's Lane)
Clapham High Street (via Chatham lines and Voltaire Road Junction)
Battersea Park
Clapham Junction.....

Its possible there's more but my knowledge of possible routes and lines around Clapham Junction is poor. Could a train get through the middle at Clapham Jn without passing a platform? If so it opens up more "first stations". Is Imperial Wharf doable? Am I even right in thinking Clapham Junction is accessible as first stop from Vic via Stewart's Lane and the Battersea reversible? I never signed over that side so apologies for ignorance.

driver_m

Established Member
Going back to previous posts (too many to quote)... can anyone top London Bridge's ten?

Waterloo East
Cannon Street
Blackfriars
Deptford
New Cross
Lewisham
Ladywell
Hither Green
New Cross Gate
South Bermomdsey

(It's already been discussed that the up and down fast lines avoid platforms at New Cross and St Johns).

As has already been said earlier. New St has 10 as well and doesn't need to do any fast slow line trickery.

MK Tom

Established Member
A couple local to me:

Watford Junction, 4 - Watford High Street, Bushey, Watford North and Kings Langley
Rugby, 4 - Long Buckby, Wolverton, Coventry and Nuneaton
Coventry, 4 - Rugby, Kenilworth (finally), Canley and Coventry Arena

Princes Risborough has Saunderton, Monks Risborough and Haddenham & Thame Parkway along with Chinnor on the newly opened preserved connection (or Wainhill/Bledlow if you count those).

Leicester is a funny one as I'm not quite sure you pass 'through' Syston heading towards Loughborough.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
It is not possible to get to Man Picc without going all the way from Ashburys to Guide Bridge and shunting. At which point you will have passed through 4 other stations twice plus Ardwick once.

It is.

You can get to the back platform from ashburys, change ends and take the departure/arrivals road to ardwick, bang road into to up platform and then into the throat.

Kite159

Veteran Member
As an aside, I doubt it can match London Bridge but it's occurred to me that Victoria has more possibles than first meets the eye:

Brixton
Denmark Hill
Elephant & Castle (via Canterbury Road)
Wandsworth Road (via Stewart's Lane)
Clapham High Street (via Chatham lines and Voltaire Road Junction)
Battersea Park
Clapham Junction.....

Its possible there's more but my knowledge of possible routes and lines around Clapham Junction is poor. Could a train get through the middle at Clapham Jn without passing a platform? If so it opens up more "first stations". Is Imperial Wharf doable? Am I even right in thinking Clapham Junction is accessible as first stop from Vic via Stewart's Lane and the Battersea reversible? I never signed over that side so apologies for ignorance.

I would discount Clapham Junction as the trains pass Battersea Park, which IIRC has a platform face on the Clapham bound fast line.

And IIRC you can reach Imperial Wharf from Victoria, although there are no booked services that way

Although leaving via the empty carriage line does not involve passing that face. While formerly very much an ECS Line it is now used on a more regular basis, esp in the down direction.

Last edited:

bionic

Can't you get there via Stewart's Lane without bypassing Battersea Park platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.