• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Common railway related fallacies

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Not controversial at all! As a starting point, it cannot be that difficult to simply block the reserving of seats in the quiet coach by any individual or group where there is a child ticket in the transaction.
Don't forget child fares go up to age 15, plenty of more mature sensible children will cause no disruption to the quiet coach.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Don't forget child fares go up to age 15, plenty of more mature sensible children will cause no disruption to the quiet coach.
Plenty of children of that age playing on tablets/phones and making a noise, too.

Aaron1

it is the departure time of a train in the platform and the doors has started closing and locking, but a passengar is running for the train, they expect the train to wait for them and once the train has started moving off the platform if the passengar running to board it desperately knocks on the window then the train will stop and reverse back to pick them up.

A Challenge

Established Member
Might it be a good idea to not automatically issue reservations in the quiet coach unless the train is otherwise full or quiet is requested (or seat selectors)?

MCSHF007

That's the problem. Most early-teens (especially those travelling with parents) are well-behaved. Toddlers and babies should not be allowed in a Quiet Coach.

futureA

Trains are usually late or delayed.
Japanese or German management would be able to get the trains to run on time within a few months.
Hs2 is being built so people can get from London to Birmingham 20 mins faster.
Leaves on the line is nothing but a poor excuse.
Train drivers get paid £5000 an hour to push a lever. - also anybody can drive a train.
The railway could be automated tomorrow which would lead to a massive reduction in fares.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That's the problem. Most early-teens (especially those travelling with parents) are well-behaved. Toddlers and babies should not be allowed in a Quiet Coach.

Where should they go then? There is no dedicated space at all.

Why do a tiny number of people who want to travel in solemn hushed silence get an entire coach for their whims, taking precedence over kids who need space but aren't given anything at all?

If you want to travel in silence, perhaps invest in a pair of ear defenders or something.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Where should they go then? There is no dedicated space at all.

Why do a few people who want to travel in solemn hushed silence take precedence over kids who need space?
Didn't one or two TOCs experiment with 'family coaches'?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Didn't one or two TOCs experiment with 'family coaches'?

Not really suitable for babies/toddlers who need crawl/play space. It's just a regular coach with some stickers on the windows.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Kleinkindbereich found on German ICEs. Actual proper space for babies, toddlers and unfolded pushchairs.

175mph

On Moderation
it is the departure time of a train in the platform and the doors has started closing and locking, but a passengar is running for the train, they expect the train to wait for them and once the train has started moving off the platform if the passengar running to board it desperately knocks on the window then the train will stop and reverse back to pick them up.
I can't seem to find it, but I seem to recall reading a post on these forums where exactly that happened somewhere on the Irish rail network.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I can't seem to find it, but I seem to recall reading a post on these forums where exactly that happened somewhere on the Irish rail network.
Not quite that, but there is a story about my great-grandfather, whose first posting as an army officer was in Crosshaven, Co Cork c1905. His diary records that on one occasion, he got into a long conversation and realised that, as he must have missed his train, he might as well stay chatting a little longer. Some time later, a boy arrived panting from the station to ask when the gentleman was coming as they couldn't hold up the train much longer.

37201xoIM

Japanese or German management would be able to get the trains to run on time within a few months.
That Germany still has an efficient and punctual railway system!

cjmillsnun

Established Member
South Western Railway is not the name of the First Group operation from Waterloo and instead, it is any of ‘South West Rail’, ‘South West Trains’ ‘South Western Trains’, ‘South West Railway’, ‘South Western’ ‘Southern West Rail’ etc etc.
Even Geoff Marshall has fallen foul of that one!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
A ticket to "London terminals" entitles you to use the London Underground for free to get to the station of your choice.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A ticket to "London terminals" entitles you to use the London Underground for free to get to the station of your choice.
And since there has to be an exception to every rule:

A ticket to "London terminals" cannot entitle you to use the London Underground for free ;)

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Although both St Pancras and Blackfriars are part of the "London terminals" group, and there are plenty of trains that serve both, a ticket to "London terminals" is only, in fact, valid to one of the two.
(Except if it is valid on HS1)

But then again, there are people who don't realise a "London Terminals" ticket allows you to change stations at Waterloo/ Waterloo East to get to London Bridge or Charing Cross. I've known people get the Underground from Waterloo to both of those destinations, paying extra for a longer journey.

Even more, I've known people complain that Southwark Cathedral seemed an awfully long walk from the Tube station - which it is if you take the Tube to Southwark instead of London Bridge!

py_megapixel

Established Member
There seems to be a massive fallacy, even on here, that the "quiet" coach is a "silent" coach.
Better description might be "calm coach". There is no need for it to entirely silent, some conversation is fine, but equally you don't want people constantly wandering up and down, which may be quiet but is not calming.

Sunset route

Established Member
Everybody calls it on the BML “Ouse valley Viaduct” when all our actual diagrams show it officially as “Ouse Viaduct”

That all trap points are catch points are one of the same thing, when the rule of the thumb is that trap points are worked (controlled) and face on coming traffic and catch points are unworked and trail to traffic usually on gradients. There are always exceptions to the rule though.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Everybody calls it on the BML “Ouse valley Viaduct” when all our actual diagrams show it officially as “Ouse Viaduct”
To be fair, National Heritage refer to the Grade II listed structure as the 'Ouse Valley Railway Viaduct', which is also its statutory address, so who are we to argue? The Ordnance Survey refer to it as the 'Ouse Valley Viaduct' so that's hardly a fallacy. And sometimes, of course, it's alternatively referred to as the 'Balcombe Viaduct'.

I was at the North Tyneside Railway's 30th anniversary Gala back in July. The have one of the former Harton Colliery electric locomotives there. Which is round 100+ years old [the Harton system being electrified before the First World War!]. I jokingly remarked to another couple that the sooner "they" go electric the better and get rid of these dirty smelly steam engines the better! I went to remark how part of their system along the coast from Westoe Colliery to Whitburn Colliery had been operated under the light railway act and offered a passenger service. The line had survived until the sixties before the Coal Board closed it and the Colliery, then lifting the line. The woman replied that that Beeching had a lot to answer for...... My reply then being: What's Beeching got to do with the National Coal Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.