• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Fewest livery changes in the lifetime of a fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's been mentioned on a few threads about how "normals" have referred to a decently refurbished train (or even just a repainted one) as "new"... which got me thinking, has there been an example of stock which stayed in the same livery from introduction to withdrawal? Or failing that, which only went through one change?

Off the top of my head, the 141s only had the one change at refurbishment*, and the 151s kept the same livery (apart from the unofficial ones which led to their scrapping) but are a bit of an anomaly. Some of the smaller Modernisation Plan DMUs may have only had one livery, but most probably had changes to yellow warning panels or whiskers.
Of current stock, the 458s only had the one change at refurbishment (other than branding changes from SWT to SWR) and their future is uncertain. 707s will be unchanged apart from branding, but are more likely to find new homes.

Exemptions for individual units which were withdrawn due to accidents, of course.

For avoidance of doubt, my use of "repainting" and variations thereof above should be taken to include revinyling.

*=notwithstanding the Barrow Corporation Blue that several were delivered in, before going into traffic in WYPTE Verona Green.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Surely some of the BR early diesel fleets that didn't last long?

Did any of the Glasgow 303's got from BR Blue to Orange and then be scrapped?

308's from BR Blue to WYPTE Red, then scrap?

Class 373's?

Class 89?

Some class 92's?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
308s most carried NSE between blue and WYPTE. There was even a spares donor parked up at Neville Hill still in toothpaste livery, and on occasions you'd get a unit in service with a mismatched door!

89001 carried IC executive, IC Swallow, and GNER in service.

303s carried Caledonian Blue (or whatever the "Blue Train" livery was called) before being standardised to blue and grey. Some even carried GMPTE orange.

Iskra

Established Member
Just throwing a few suggestions out there! Wasn't sure how strict you were being in terms of livery's counting as one or two when they are just a revised version of the previous one, ie IC Exec and Swallow.

Class 333's are another example.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just throwing a few suggestions out there! Wasn't sure how strict you were being in terms of livery's counting as one or two when they are just a revised version of the previous one, ie IC Exec and Swallow.

Class 333's are another example.
Not being overly strict, just opening the topic to discussion because paint wibble is so popular! :lol:;)

333s are a good suggestion, as the changes they've had have only been tweaks, at least until 333001 emerges from Holbeck...

On Moderation
Class 14 D9502, currently being rebuilt at the East Lancs, has not only only ever had one livery, but it has also never been repainted.

driver_m

Established Member
Some of Freightliners 90's running round in the same colours from day 1?

TheEdge

Established Member
Obviously now unbranded but the 360s still wear their original FGE base blue livery.

HLE

Established Member
WMT class 153’s. Regional railways, central trains and LM. A new livery every 10 years or so.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'll do a serious post now, We're any 47's scrapped in BR blue around the time BR or EWS decided to scrap everyting old?
A quick Google search shows that loads of class 47s went for scrap in BR blue livery at the likes of Vic Berry's yard in Leicester:
http://www.wnxx.com/images/scrap/index.php?level=picture&id=5135#

BR had a massive clear out in the mid to late eighties of both no heat and early train supply fitted 47s, many of which went to their graves still in BR blue: Though as a class the 47s hardly count, given that collectively they've worn at least fifty different liveries! :p

Though with Sulzer in mind, with the exception of 46035/97403 when in departmental service, all of classes 44 - 46 only carried two liveries: BR green and BR blue, though with detail differences such as the varying application of yellow warning panels and bodyside white stripes.

Similarly with the 'Roarer' classes 81 - 85, they almost all went through their whole working lives in two liveries: Electric blue and BR blue. The only exceptions being 82008 and 83012 in Intercity Executive, and 84009 in BR research livery while in departmental service as a mobile load bank.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The 4 SUB's survived from around 1946 - 1983 with only one change of livery from green to blue.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The 4 SUB's survived from around 1946 - 1983 with only one change of livery from green to blue.
Speaking of early EMUs I know the Bury 504s ended their days in GMPTE orange and brown, but I don't know how many other liveries they carried over the years. At a guess, some may have gone straight from all-over blue to GMPTE.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Speaking of early EMUs I know the Bury 504s ended their days in GMPTE orange and brown, but I don't know how many other liveries they carried over the years. At a guess, some may have gone straight from all-over blue to GMPTE.

I'm sure I saw a picture of one still in green in the yard relatively late on.

bramling

Veteran Member
It's been mentioned on a few threads about how "normals" have referred to a decently refurbished train (or even just a repainted one) as "new"... which got me thinking, has there been an example of stock which stayed in the same livery from introduction to withdrawal? Or failing that, which only went through one change?

Off the top of my head, the 141s only had the one change at refurbishment*, and the 151s kept the same livery (apart from the unofficial ones which led to their scrapping) but are a bit of an anomaly. Some of the smaller Modernisation Plan DMUs may have only had one livery, but most probably had changes to yellow warning panels or whiskers.
Of current stock, the 458s only had the one change at refurbishment (other than branding changes from SWT to SWR) and their future is uncertain. 707s will be unchanged apart from branding, but are more likely to find new homes.

Exemptions for individual units which were withdrawn due to accidents, of course.

*=notwithstanding the Barrow Corporation Blue that several were delivered in, before going into traffic in WYPTE Verona Green.

365s have essentially gone from NSE to TSGN only, albeit with some vinyl schemes along the way.

Spartacus

Established Member
I guess as a fleet the 59s must be in an unusual position of having carried many liveries in total, but each member of the fleet has carried only a small number.

I dare say the lion's share of the 66s have only ever carried one livery, even if GBRf seem to love repainting them!

Status
Not open for further replies.