• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Fewest livery changes in the lifetime of a fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Would most of the Riddles era BR steam locos have only had one livery until scrapping?

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
4079 Pendennis Castle has been in the same Brunswick Green with orange and black lining since it was built in 1923. Presently being restored to working order again at Didcot, in a few years it will have been operating for 100 years in the same colours.

Beat that!

Looking at Flickr 153311 & 153326 have only carried Regional Railways & EMT liveries, I'm sure there's some more 153s & 156s that are in the same boat

Bornin1980s

Class 14 D9502, currently being rebuilt at the East Lancs, has not only only ever had one livery, but it has also never been repainted.
The 14s and 17s might count, as none even managed a decade in BR service! However, examples of both classes carried other liveries in industrial use.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The Class 334s have only seen one livery change in nearly 20 years: SPT Carmine/Cream (1999-2014) -> ScotRail 'Saltire' (2010-present). While not nearly as impressive as some of the other examples above, I thought was worth a mention regardless.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Class 55 only went through one change, from two-tone green to blue, didn't they? I'm not sure if the addition of yellow warning panels and white window surrounds would really count as a major change.

Spartacus

Established Member
Class 55 only went through one change, from two-tone green to blue, didn't they? I'm not sure if the addition of yellow warning panels and white window surrounds would really count as a major change.

You'd be forgiven for forgetting Gordon Highlander in Porterbrook Purple, most try! :lol:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
You'd be forgiven for forgetting Gordon Highlander in Porterbrook Purple, most try! :lol:
Wha...? I don't remember seeing this before, and having just googled for a photo...

Y'know, I don't think it looks all that bad, really. At least they kept the style. Shame about the lights, though.

EDIT - I wonder if they would ever have made it into large logo blue had they survived a little longer.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It depends which way you look at it, really. It also looks like the RM logo is larger on the newer version?
Yes, it is.
Looking at Flickr 153311 & 153326 have only carried Regional Railways & EMT liveries, I'm sure there's some more 153s & 156s that are in the same boat
I don't think there are any 156s that have carried less than three liveries, given that only the Scotrail and Regional Railways North East units retained their original Provincial livery at the time of privatisation (Plus the orange/black SPT units), and have all been repainted at least twice since then.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's definitely a good shout - Only one change of livery in almost forty years!

Thanks. Come to think of it, some of the Southern EMU's would have been in all over green throughout their lives. PAN's/PUL's/NOL's etc. Depends how far back one wants to go !

Ash Bridge

Established Member
English Electric Classs 40 D306 (40106) wore green livery for its entire BR in service years, the only alterations being the addition of full yellow ends and obviously the application of TOPS renumbering during the 1970s.

ScottDarg

Last edited:

keith1879

Common misconception (or more likely just misremembering) seems to be that EMUs wore a single BR Blue livery. Most (possibly all AC sets) went through all blue and Blue and Grey. So the 303s wore Caledonian Blue, Rail Blue, Blue and Grey and then Strathclyde Orange (plus a few in GMPTE livery). 308s and 504s (both mentioned above) went through three liveries before BR sectorisation, Green, Blue and Blue and Grey.

Here's one for you ....the Lancaster Morecambe and Heysham AC sets introduced in the early 1950s. If you don't count their previous incarnation as DC units (when they were essentially different trains) they only ever carried BR Green (I think).

Taunton

Established Member
You'd be forgiven for forgetting Gordon Highlander in Porterbrook Purple, most try!
Ian Walmsley's idea I believe.

Weren't the Class 01s at Holyhead withdrawn in BR black?
Good point; they were maybe the longest lasting diesels in any single scheme. Possibly never repainted.

Wivenswold

Established Member
304002/9/17/32/33 all of which made it to 1996 in Blue/grey via Green and all over blue. Withdrawn when 36 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.