• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest population served by single track line

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Rather a random trivia question but it occurred to me today that Inverness is possibly the largest population centre in the UK that is served by predominantly single-track railways.

Are there any larger places that share the honour (I'm excluding Aberdeen because while Usan-Montrose is single track, that's a very short section of a long railway).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
Rather a random trivia question but it occurred to me today that Inverness is possibly the largest population centre in the UK that is served by predominantly single-track railways.

Are there any larger places that share the honour [?]

Yes - Derry/Londonderry for one.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A few contenders:

Aberystwyth, in term-time at least?

Lytham?

Technically the Morecambe line is two independent single tracks, so perhaps that counts?

Yeovil has two stations each with 2 platforms, but both are just loops along lengthy single sections. That reasoning leads me to...

Weston-super-Mare, as the loop is single either side of the station.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked up the populations of any of the above places, they're just off the top of my head.

EDIT: Plymouth. Three routes in, two of which are single as they enter the city! ;)

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
Crowborough has a population of over 20,000
(larger than Aberystwyth)

Braintree In 2011 the census was 41,634

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
EDIT: Plymouth. Three routes in, two of which are single as they enter the city! ;)
That's cheating! Anyway, it still doesn't count as one of the routes is double.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The reason it came to mind is that with the HML being shut it's proving to be a bit a of nightmare scheduling additional services (e.g. the Tesco train and the Sleeper) over the line to Aberdeen.

Parallel

Established Member
Exmouth and Barnstaple are single track only and the former has a census of over 35,000. The latter, just over 20,000.

JamesRowden

Established Member
Tunbridge Wells (56000) has single track sections on its line in both directions, and has a greater population than Inverness.

Hastings (86000) would count if being the fastest routes to the majority of the country counts as being 'predominantly served by'.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A city, Worcester (Foregate St) which is served by 2 single lines, one from Tunnel Jcn and the other Shrub Hill. They cross over to the West of the station if required at Henwick.

najaB

Veteran Member
Tunbridge Wells (56000) has single track sections on its line in both directions, and has a greater population than Inverness.
How long are the sections?
Hastings (86000) would count if being the fastest routes to the majority of the country counts as being 'predominantly served by'.
I probably worded it badly - I was thinking of places that are only served by lines which are predominantly single line. The HML and Aberdeen-Inverness lines both have double-track sections but are mainly single track.

JamesRowden

Established Member
How long are the sections?

There are four single track tunnels on the Tonbridge-Hastings line which passes through Tunbridge Wells.

To the north Somerhill Tunnel is 890m long. To the South, Strawberry Hill Tunnel is 250m long, Wadhurst Tunnel 1.15km long and Mountfield Tunnel is 530m long.

Last edited:

JamesRowden

Established Member
That's marginal - I don't know if I'd class c. 3km out of 50km as 'predominantly' single-track.

I suppose it depends on what the definition of the word `line' is and whether 890m is long enough to be a line :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Or if we include the `predominantly' word, it would be a question of whether 1.78km (minus 1 over infinity) is long enough to be a line :D

backontrack

Established Member
Whitehaven?

Whitehaven is double-track throughout from Carlisle, even then it's only single as far as Sellafield (should be redoubled, really), although Maryport only has one platform (it's only ever had one despite always being on a double-track line, even today).

Whitby's only accessible by a single track line, from Grosmont. The second platform's been reopened for the NYMR, but that's still only on a spur.

najaB

Veteran Member
Whitby's only accessible by a single track line, from Grosmont. The second platform's been reopened for the NYMR, but that's still only on a spur.
Population is about 11k so smaller than Londonderry and Inverness.

richw

Veteran Member
Falmouth/Penryn Falmouth population approx. 27000. Penryn's 7000. Penryn's balloons massively in term time, with several thousand students at the uni.

swcovas

Merthyr Tydfil must be right up there. Ebbw Vale, Maesteg, Penarth all sizeable population too. Oh, and Aberdare for that matter. Rhymney is pretty small though.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
There are four single track tunnels on the Tonbridge-Hastings line which passes through Tunbridge Wells.

To the north Somerhill Tunnel is 890m long. To the South, Strawberry Hill Tunnel is 250m long, Wadhurst Tunnel 1.15km long and Mountfield Tunnel is 530m long.

I know this is completely OT - but does anyone think that a "Farnworth Tunnel" approach could ever be done on this line - i.e. rebore with new concrete segments etc and double track?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I know this is completely OT - but does anyone think that a "Farnworth Tunnel" approach could ever be done on this line - i.e. rebore with new concrete segments etc and double track?

Physically, there's nothing to stop it. However, at Farnworth, you have the smaller tunnel which could be used whilst the big tunnel was worked on.

I would have thought that if it was ever worthwhile (unlikely) they'd just build a new tunnel alongside.

Status
Not open for further replies.