• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most sparse platform at a major station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate, platforms 2 & 3. Nothing - not even a shelter as the old one's been demolished and work has stopped on its replacement.

Recessio

Brighton platform 8. Seperated from the other platforms by a paved (presumably service access) road, and is still made of wood when the others are all concrete, serving the lonely East Coastway line.

Admittedly does have a few knackered NSE benches, but staring across the road into platform 7 is not a spectacular view.

Platform 1 in Aberdeen. Essentially just an ostrisised bay at the top of the station used for stabling moves.

No signage, no number, no tactles, nothing but crooked concrete muck. Expected, for a platform not used by passenger services in decades.

Does 'Platform 1' actually exist at Aberdeen? The lowest numbered platform is 3. If you include platform 1 in this debate then what about platforms 8 and 9?

I presume this situation arose to avoid having to change the signalling when the station was reorganised. It's raised another question for me though. Where was platform 2 (which I presume existed at some point). As far as I can see there is, and was, only one platform face before platform 3.

LancasterRed

Preston Platform 7 is barely even used! It has nothing of note apart from a bike shop.

The new platform at Leeds could be in with a shout and I can recall one at Sheffield being quite similar, but that was years ago.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Preston Platform 7 is barely even used! It has nothing of note apart from a bike shop.

The platform 7 line is designated as a goods line and is not available for normal passenger service (in spite of even having a '7' platform sign hung on it)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Platform 2 at Largs
Platform 4 at Ayr
Platform 4 at Kilmarnock
Platforms 9 & 10 at Stirling
Platform 3 at Perth

YorksLad12

Established Member
The new platform at Leeds could be in with a shout and I can recall one at Sheffield being quite similar, but that was years ago.
That's a temporary replacement for platform 1 while it is being rebuilt with the new platform 0. The end of the old platform 1 (1A) was a bit of a hike from civilisation, as are the ends of 4, 5 & 6 :lol:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Platform 3 at Shrewsbury. You have to pass through the barriers twice to get to the toilets or food outlet.
Platform 12 at Crewe.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Castleford anyone?

At the moment yes, but work on the upgrade is coming along nicely.

"The £2.8 million upgrade will see new high-quality passenger waiting facilities, a ticket vending machine, a disabled toilet and sheltered cycle parking, as well as improved links to the town centre and nearby bus station."

Skie

Liverpool Central. Cat B station, 3 platforms, ~16million passengers a year

0 platform facilities. There’s about 10 seats if those count :)

Llandudno

Established Member
Liverpool Central. Cat B station, 3 platforms, ~16million passengers a year

0 platform facilities. There’s about 10 seats if those count :)
Maybe, but there is every conceivable type of fast food takeaway within a 100 yards of the station. The nearby pubs aren’t too shabby either!

Amlag

Bristol TM plats 4,6,8,10 & 12 ie the west half/ ends of divided platforms.

They are very basic for passengers waiting for trains, with minimal seating, no waiting rooms, no handy refreshments, and despite being mostly roofed they are very exposed to wind, rain and even snow !

scrapy

Established Member
Maybe, but there is every conceivable type of fast food takeaway within a 100 yards of the station. The nearby pubs aren’t too shabby either!
Yes Liverpool Central seems a strange choice. Whilst seating limited, the platforms are fully enclosed so no need for waiting rooms, they have PIS, help points, are generally well staffed. Add to that the average wait for a train (except Ellesmere Port/Sundays) is about 7.5 minutes even if you'd just turned up, but many passengers will wait less as they would have looked times up so I'm not sure what else you'd need especially for such a short time.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Various platforms at Leeds have been mentioned a couple of times, but for me the narrow platform 9-11 island is the one that sticks out as being a bit spartan. A shelter about halfway between the two footbridges is all you get for facilities... said shelter used to contain a vending machine which was usually broken, but now has just a departure screen IIRC.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Various platforms at Leeds have been mentioned a couple of times, but for me the narrow platform 9-11 island is the one that sticks out as being a bit spartan. A shelter about halfway between the two footbridges is all you get for facilities... said shelter used to contain a vending machine which was usually broken, but now has just a departure screen IIRC.
Now you mention it... what about platform 16, which no longer has its enclosed shelter? It is in the main section so under the roof, but water still comes in when it rains heavily.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Now you mention it... what about platform 16, which no longer has its enclosed shelter? It is in the main section so under the roof, but water still comes in when it rains heavily.
Feels a bit like an afterthought in terms of facilities (despite being the main platform for westbound inter-city journeys) but apart from the odd idiot who doesn't know how escalators work and decides to congregate at the bottom, it isn't all that bad.

Morayshire

Does 'Platform 1' actually exist at Aberdeen? The lowest numbered platform is 3. If you include platform 1 in this debate then what about platforms 8 and 9?

I presume this situation arose to avoid having to change the signalling when the station was reorganised. It's raised another question for me though. Where was platform 2 (which I presume existed at some point). As far as I can see there is, and was, only one platform face before platform 3.
Re Aberdeen.

Platform 1 does exist and along with platform 2 is normally used for stabling 170s or 158s. Platform 1 is a short bay however and is easily hidden if platform 2 is full with units.

Platforms 8 & 9. 8 has been resurfaced along with 7. A small part of 9 is used as access to the adjacent depot. Neither 8 or 9 have tracks adjacent like 6 or 7. Where the tracks were is now the headshunt for the carriage washing plant.

johntea

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate, platforms 2 & 3. Nothing - not even a shelter as the old one's been demolished and work has stopped on its replacement.

This has been in the press today, apparently a Grand Central project but they’ve gone AWOL so Northern have now promised to rig up a temporary shelter with it being their station and coming up to winter!

DorkingMain

Leeds has always felt like a collection of different stations stuck together, rather than one cohesive one

Deepgreen

Established Member
Platform 0 at Redhill has a small 'bus shelter' and a very short canopy which protects against only some of the rain. Most of the reversing (GW) trains have two of their three cars beyond the canopy anway because no-one can find £20 for a 3 car stop board!

DB

Leeds has always felt like a collection of different stations stuck together, rather than one cohesive one

Yes, it's not well laid out, and in winter is normally freezing and windy despite much of it being under a roof.

The most remote-feeling platform of all is the single east-facing bay (7, I think).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
9/10 at Stratford. A few seats and shelters, but used by a LOT of people.

Efini92

Established Member
At most major stations, each platform has a range of facilites, usually some kind of coffee shop; toilets; a waiting room and possibly more. But some stations have very sparse platforms with not many facilities.

Which platform is the most sparse at a major station? I'm going to define "major station" in this case as anything which is DfT category A or B or similar sized stations in Scotland (though feel free to discuss larger stations in category C if you feel it's relevant). Bonus points if it's short or curved enough that there are trains serving that station that can't use that platform, if it takes a long time to walk to, or if anything else makes it incovenient!

I'll start with Stockport platform 0. There is a tiny waiting room (though it is properly indoors and is heated), there is step-free access from the entrance to platform level, the platform is covered by a canopy and there are dot matrix indicators and automated announcements.
I think 0 is actually out of use at the minute.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I think 0 is actually out of use at the minute.
Indeed it might be, though I don't think it's closed for the installation of new facilities unfortunately. (I believe it was in use in June, when this thread was created... not sure why it's suddenly had lots of activity again; the forums work in mysterious ways :))

Status
Not open for further replies.