• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Narrowest platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Dorking Platforms 2 & 3 have a particularly narrow section at the country end. You can also only fit 11 coaches on any given platform, which is quite a rare number on the Southern network.

Crystal Palace Platform 2 is quite narrow and uneven at the Gipsy Hill end. The curves also make it incredibly hard to dispatch a 10 coach train on the very rare occasion that one arrives with a guard (it happens...).

Wandsworth Common Platform 3 is fairly narrow when you get near the staircase, but it's rare for a train to stop there. Which is part of the issue with that...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
The part of the London end of Loughborough's platforms where they go under the road bridge is *very* narrow. This (and as a consequence the remaining length of the platforms beyond the road bridge) was taken out of use a number of years ago for safety reasons (and recently the platforms were extended at the other end).

Strathclyder

Established Member
Another station in Glasgow just came to mind...

Crosshill's island platform isn't exactly what you'd call wide, particularly beside the ticket office:
DSCN1080.jpg

2596451_8998b327.jpg

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2596451

2596457_444cc938.jpg

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2596457

backontrack

Established Member
Perhaps the former City Widened Lines? Disconnected from Thameslink and OOU since 2009; but when in use the northbound platforms at Barbican (and Moorgate?) must've been a contender - if memory serves me well, they extended right into the running tunnels!

Kings Cross Thameslink also had a narrow platform..

Attachments

• 609717_a018cbf2.jpg
    609717_a018cbf2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

fandroid

Established Member
The mods shunted this one into 'Trivia' from 'Infrastructure', after I had started it. However, although it's tempting to see it as just a listing exercise, there is a serious side to it too. Some of those platforms mentioned are really quite risky, or make passengers feel unsafe (a real customer service issue).

If railways had been invented in the late 20th century then the idea of unprotected drops onto tracks where trains pass at high speeds would have been treated with absolute horror. Although the road system is full of places where traffic passes close to unprotected pedestrians, there are actually very few where the sort of drop you see at platform edges is left without some sort of barrier. I am absolutely not asking for a bout of 'elf 'n safety to be unleashed on the railways, but it would be good if the worst examples were eliminated.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Another station in Glasgow just came to mind...

Crosshill's island platform isn't exactly what you'd call wide, particularly beside the ticket office:
DSCN1080.jpg

2596451_8998b327.jpg

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2596451

2596457_444cc938.jpg

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2596457

Sorry but I find there is acres of room there.

Try Brentford for a very narrow bit of platform halfway down, where you can't stay behind the yellow line, and in third rail land.

640px-Brentford_station_look_west_beyond_road_bridge.JPG

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brentford_station_look_west_beyond_road_bridge.JPG

Howardh

Established Member
That Brentford one, what is the height from the end of the platform to the roof? Thinking a very tall man might have to stoop a bit!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The mods shunted this one into 'Trivia' from 'Infrastructure', after I had started it. However, although it's tempting to see it as just a listing exercise, there is a serious side to it too. Some of those platforms mentioned are really quite risky, or make passengers feel unsafe (a real customer service issue).

If railways had been invented in the late 20th century then the idea of unprotected drops onto tracks where trains pass at high speeds would have been treated with absolute horror. Although the road system is full of places where traffic passes close to unprotected pedestrians, there are actually very few where the sort of drop you see at platform edges is left without some sort of barrier. I am absolutely not asking for a bout of 'elf 'n safety to be unleashed on the railways, but it would be good if the worst examples were eliminated.

Most of these narrow platforms are a legacy issue. If you were part of a team designing a new station today, I imagine anything like some of the images we've seen on this thread would be a big no-no. Even that Glasgow one probably wouldn't meet group standards for a new build or reopening in 2015, let alone Brentford.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Cathays station in Cardiff is very narrow if I may say so myself. Can get very crowded in the morning when all the university students alight!

Holly

One can only say - thank goodness the Victorians had a lot more wisdom than we do as a nation today!

snowball

Established Member
One can only say - thank goodness the Victorians had a lot more wisdom than we do as a nation today!

Thank goodness we've left behind an era when human life was cheap and a lot of people died horrible, unnecessary deaths at an early age.

Philip C

Thank goodness we've left behind an era when human life was cheap and a lot of people died horrible, unnecessary deaths at an early age.

Yes, but don't expect the same not to be said of us in future centuries.

Re New Street, platform 4c is particularly narrow as a result of being a bay platform created by removing a chunk out of 5b.

Most of the Cross City line stations seem to have quite narrow platforms

66Yorks

For new platform constructions, (taken from GI/RT7016)

New single face platforms
7.2.1 The usable width of a new single face platform shall be nowhere less than:
a) 3000 mm where the permissible or enhanced permissible speed on the line
adjacent to the platform exceeds 100 mph (160 km/h).
b) 2500 mm at other platforms.

New double face platforms
7.3.1 The usable width of a new double face platform shall be nowhere less than:
a) 6000 mm where the permissible or enhanced permissible speed on both
lines adjacent to the platform exceeds 100 mph (160 km/h).
b) 5500 mm where the permissible or enhanced permissible speed on one line
adjacent to the platform exceeds 100 mph (160 km/h) and the other does not
exceed 100 mph (160 km/h).
c) 4000 mm at other platforms.

I'm guessing that some of these current platforms may have derogation against them in terms of space etc or the fact they have been constructed like since the dawn of the railways.

b0b

Established Member
Kings Cross Thameslink also had a narrow platform..

That was going to be my nomination too, I remember it being a bit scary with both the narrow width and lots of passengers squeezing around...

1600px-King%27s_Cross_Thameslink_station_geograph-3722652-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Abpj17

From the first page, I don't recall the Moorgate platforms being particularly narrow - they never really got crowded either.

Kings X TL always felt narrow for the sheer number of passengers it was dealing with.

One the other day made me stop and look - I've not managed to find a picture tho :( Essentially the platform for the fast lines at Radlett and Elstree (where admittedly a train would rarely stop) the yellow line went under the stairs so there was no platform that was behind the yellow line for a modest distance. GTR have also been putting barriers around the bottom of stairs - which narrow the platforms as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.