• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Obsolete or unusual stop position or boarding point markers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1609

Established Member
A few years ago, I remember seeing "444 Car Stop" boards at Wareham - that seems a very long tain to cater for! On a more serious note, Redhill's 'new' platform 0 has a minimum of 4/5 car stop boards so the three car GWR 165/6s go right up to it, meaning that 90% of the train is beyond the meagre canopy and passengers have a needlessly long walk back to the stairs to exit or interchange. All for the lack of a single 2/3car board at miniscule cost! I've seen many people miss catching trains there because of the needless distance between train and stairs. Southern taking care of their fleet only and ignoring the needs of other TOCs.
The situation at Redhill is done for simplicity a 165/6 coach is approx 3 metres longer than a class 377 or 700 so a 3 car 165 is around 3 1/2 377 cars and 2x 165 cars is about 4 5/8s of a 377. as trains reverse there there is a minimum sighting distance for the starting signal. It makes sense to have the stopping point in the same place for all units.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
A few years ago, I remember seeing "444 Car Stop" boards at Wareham - that seems a very long tain to cater for!
And I thought Derby had long platforms. There you have 170 Car Stop boards, and they're only halfway down the platform. *Ahem*

One oddity I've seen but don't understand is a Z Stop board at Banbury. Clearly that's not on the route of any sleeper service, so what that's for I could not say.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
My all time favourite is in Clapham Yard-the road nearest to platform 6 has at its "country" end, a series of markers displaying "TMST" with an upside down black triange. First found these on the way to school once and thought it was amazing the siding was obviously once a designated berth for Eurostars many moons ago.

Established Member
And I thought Derby had long platforms. There you have 170 Car Stop boards, and they're only halfway down the platform. *Ahem*
That's so the 170's stop before the Axle Counter in the middle of the platform. It's the same with '1 car stop' at the 'b' end where the Crewe services normally stop for the 153's.

LowLevel

Established Member
That's so the 170's stop before the Axle Counter in the middle of the platform. It's the same with '1 car stop' at the 'b' end where the Crewe services normally stop for the 153's.

Superb design that was, "partial traverse error" :lol:

Should have stuck with track circuits for the station area like they did at Nottingham, you know where you are with those and if you do go a bit wrong it doesn't bugger the system up.

StephenHunter

Established Member

One oddity I've seen but don't understand is a Z Stop board at Banbury. Clearly that's not on the route of any sleeper service, so what that's for I could not say.

Sleepers did use to serve Banbury.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
some of the platforms around the Cambridge area are gaining a right mess of stop boards, with special ones for Thameslink Class 700s, GA 755s (some of which have pan up/pan down instructions) and I believe now Class 720s, in addition to those for 4/8/12 car 20m carriage units (Class 317, 321, 379 and 387).

Plus on the West Anglia some stations have on single poles stacked 4/8/12 boards due to using different colours for each, so where the stop position is the same for all trains all three are apparently needed

_toommm_

Established Member
Leaving Ashburys, you have these unusual stop boards with ‘3 Car’ on the top. Does anyone know what these are used for and why they’re so unusually designed?

A7BA2182-EAE6-4D85-9FEF-9704D0BF3186.jpg

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Kidsgrove has a "VT4/5" marker on platform 2 (the down Manchester platform) despite no Voyager trains calling.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Leaving Ashburys, you have these unusual stop boards with ‘3 Car’ on the top. Does anyone know what these are used for and why they’re so unusually designed?

View attachment 89632
They're "rear clear" markers rather than stop car markers.

They're used for reversing moves. Tells you you're inside the signal so that's where you stop to change ends

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I believe the Gold / Blue / Purple Zone actually dates from InterCity days pre-privatisation rather than Great Western; I’ve definitely seen these signs on the WCML.
Yes, I can remember announcements at certain WCML stations saying which zone First Class was in, I think the signs were still at some of them a few years ago - possibly there are still some in situ?
I know for a fact my local stop at Milton Keynes Central has all of them in place still.

Here is a few photos where some of the signs can be seen.

Purple Zone Sign - Platform 6

Gold Zone Sign - Platform 6

Blue Zone Sign - Platform 5

Orange Zone Signs Platforms 3 & 6

Why is there an orange zone, blue zone and purple zone, does anyone know?

At a guess, Gold Zone is definitely first class, right?

Last edited:

Steddenm

Gold was first class, orange is where the buffet was, purple was standard class and blue is where smoking used to be. Well AFAIK.

EDIT: See correction below

Last edited:

dciuk

Axminster, maybe even Honiton with HST stop boards.
I think Pinhoe and possibly Wimple/Feniton also have these. Probably date back to before the Axminster loop when diverted Paddington services called at these stations in lieu of the curtailed Waterloo service, although Axminster and Honiton have probably seen HST's call more recently. Presumably no more since the Paddington services are now run by class 800/802, unless Cross Country Trains decide to use this diversion

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They've been extended now so into longer applies, but Deighton had 3-car class 158 boards located a few metres beyond the foot of the platform end ramps, from when the "Grand Tour" service called there.

O L Leigh

Established Member

Yes I am aware of their purpose. I was just joining in the comedy about apparently ridiculously long platforms.

The Glasgow to Poole sleeper ceased around 1992

These boards are not from that period (assuming that there would have been boards for loco-hauled services at that point in time).

1D53

Established Member
York retains a number of GNER and Northern Spirit stop boards.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Please enlighten me on what this “Grand Tour” service is.
During the Serco/Abellio Northern franchise, for a while the Wakefield to Huddersfield, and the Huddersfield to Selby via Leeds and Bradford services were joined at Huddersfield in order to save a unit. This service was advertised in full at either end (but with false destinations at Leeds and Huddersfield) so was nicknamed the "Grand Tour" by both staff and enthusiasts.

The advantage of more efficient diagramming was rather negated by the use of 3-car 158s on some of the services (it interworked with other Calder Valley services) which was hugely overcapacity for the HUD-WKF section. This also meant that some of the busier Calder Valley services were run with a single 2-car Pacer.

Steddenm

Interesting, Thanks for that info as I now know what they all mean. :)

I have a correction to make...

GoldFirst Class (London End)
BlueFirst Class and Buffet
PurpleStandard Class
OrangeStandard Class with Smoking (Country End)

Some WCML stations still have the coloured zones in situ.

Other operators, including GWR, now have numbered zones (1-10) which tell passengers where each coach is.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I know for a fact my local stop at Milton Keynes Central has all of them in place still.

Here is a few photos where some of the signs can be seen.

Purple Zone Sign - Platform 6

Gold Zone Sign - Platform 6

Blue Zone Sign - Platform 5

Orange Zone Signs Platforms 3 & 6

Why is there an orange zone, blue zone and purple zone, does anyone know?

At a guess, Gold Zone is definitely first class, right?
Interesting, for some reason I only recall 3 zones but that's just my memory.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That seems like they retrofitted to platform 6 (which was added in the 2000s, or was it early 2010s?) even though they were no longer used by then!

The Zones were orange, purple, blue and gold, in no particular order. They were just used for coach positions. Though gold was usually at the south end so did represent 1st.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That seems like they retrofitted to platform 6 (which was added in the 2000s, or was it early 2010s?) even though they were no longer used by then!

The Zones were orange, purple, blue and gold, in no particular order. They were just used for coach positions. Though gold was usually at the south end so did represent 1st.
I definitely remember announcements for 'First Class in the 'Gold Zone'".

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Presumably, the actual signs must either have been manufactured, or pilfered from somewhere else?

bearhugger

There are still 373 stop markers at some locations on the East Coast Main Line. There are also still 91+Mark 4 stop boards at the stations north of York which are no longer served by 91s.
I will have to keep an eye out for the 91 boards next time I'm at Darlington or Thirsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.