• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Place names that you're not sure how to pronounce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
The pronunciation of English place names is probably more difficult for non-locals as it is so idiosyncratic. For example, in West Mercia (West Midlands/Shropshire/Cheshire), Al is changed to Ol, as in Altrincham (pronounced Oltringam), Alsager (pronounced Olsayjer) and Alderley Edge (all of which have railway stations), and Alcester (pronounced Olster).

A good way south of the above; but I've always been tickled by two adjacent villages north of Bristol, Alveston and Olveston: locally pronounced "Olveston" and "Oolveston" respectively.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holly

Meols, on the West Kirby electric line, used to challenge the porters at the old Liverpool Central terminus when they would shout out the station stops (no PA, just shout).
It's "Mellz".
Hmm. My elderly relatives, who have always live in northern Wirral (Wallasey, Morton, Leasowe, Hoylake) tell me that Meols rhymes with else.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bury here in lancs is both Burry and Berry ;)

Is there a geographical distinction like with Shrewsbury, where one side of the river says it one way with the other side saying it the other? As an outsider, in both cases I could use either and say it whichever way comes into my head first!

BucksBones

Is there a geographical distinction like with Shrewsbury, where one side of the river says it one way with the other side saying it the other? As an outsider, in both cases I could use either and say it whichever way comes into my head first!

Not really. Bury in the Bury accent is sort of half way between Burry and Berry - the u is like a shortened "er" sound. If you're talking of burying something it's just the same. It rhymes with not only curry and hurry but also cherry and ferry!

Berkhamsted is interesting as it used to be pronounced Barkhamsted. In fact I have seen the spelling Barkhampstead on some old maps so perhaps it's always been contentious!

On a similar note it's probably a good job Amersham is no longer spelt "Agmondesham"!

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not really. Bury in the Bury accent is sort of half way between Burry and Berry - the u is like a shortened "er" sound. If you're talking of burying something it's just the same. It rhymes with not only curry and hurry but also cherry and ferry!

Berkhamsted is interesting as it used to be pronounced Barkhamsted. In fact I have seen the spelling Barkhampstead on some old maps so perhaps it's always been contentious!

On a similar note it's probably a good job Amersham is no longer spelt "Agmondesham"!

In that case, I'll continue to alternate between the two pronunciations!

Though the football team will always rhyme with "curry" and not "cherry".

Taunton

Established Member
Hmm. My elderly relatives, who have always live in northern Wirral (Wallasey, Morton, Leasowe, Hoylake) tell me that Meols rhymes with else.
I regret to have to tell you that for years I lived even closer ... :)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Two that surprised me on the Tyne & Wear Metro recently (I'm assuming the announcements have the correct pronunciation). Chichester, with the 'i' pronounced as you would name the letter, not like the place in Sussex. Also Pelaw, which assumed would be pronounced Pel-law, when in fact it is Pee-law.

urbophile

Established Member
Meols, on the West Kirby electric line, used to challenge the porters at the old Liverpool Central terminus when they would shout out the station stops (no PA, just shout).

It's "Mellz".

The automated announcement on the current trains always says 'The next station Smells.'

urbophile

Established Member

Burreh surely?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
One that used to annoy me was Ardingly - which the local call Arding - ley .......

So very Posh -for what is basically a stone terminal site , - oh - and a school .....

Francis

Ystradgynlais - Swansea Vale railway / Neath and Brecon

Y in Welsh is sometimes a short i as in bit, and sometimes the indistinct vowel sound schwa = uh roughly, as in currant or the first a in banana, or the o in memory or the first a in separate. Thought I'd better check it up:
  • Y - has two different pronunciations. In all but the last syllable of a word it's pronounced as an "uh". When it is in the last syllable of a word it is pronounced as an 'i' - as in English 'is'. For example, the Welsh for mountain is mynydd (mun-ith); the Welsh for mountains is mynyddoedd (mun-uth-oith). Because it no longer occurs in the last syllable, the sound of the second y changes from 'i' to 'u' (also, notice the emphasis moves along to the new penultimate syllable). In single syllable words, the Y is unpredictable!
Your dd in Dolwyddelan would indeed be a voiced "th" as in these, those. You have it in Caerdydd (Cardiff) too.

So Maerdy = Migh-di
Unus - heer for Ynyshir where u represents the schwa sound.
Unusubool for Ynysybwl
Govilon - same as in English I would think

I'm not a Welsh speaker though I can decipher a few common signs. Also North Welsh and South Welsh have somewhat different pronunciations and grammar. So maybe a genuine Welsh speaker can correct me.

Prudhoe

The correct pronunciation is Pruddah but often people incorrectly pronounce it as Prud-hoe.

The Celia Railway announcer used to sound like they were pronouncing it as Prood-hoe until recently it has been changed to the correct pronunciation.

Last edited:

AY1975

Established Member
I always used to think Deighton was "Dayton", but I recently heard it announced at Leeds as "Deeton". Beighton in Sheffield is "Bayton", though.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
An Irish one which always used to catch me out was Maynooth, pronounced Muh-nooth.

As an aside, reading back over this thread the arguments on how to pronounce bath are hilarious. Bath, barth, barf. Did we ever come to an agreement on that? :lol:

Dhassell

As an aside, reading back over this thread the arguments on how to pronounce bath are hilarious. Bath, barth, barf. Did we ever come to an agreement on that? :lol:

Heh, I always pronouce it differently, Barf Spa for the station, but if I am just saying the one word 'Bath' I always say Barth. Probably just me though :p:lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Heh, I always pronouce it differently, Barf Spa for the station, but if I am just saying the one word 'Bath' I always say Barth. Probably just me though :p:lol:

As a Scot I say bath to rhyme with math. That applies for Bath Spa, a bath, bathroom and Matlock Bath.

dorsetdesiro

Some Americans may struggle with British names and pronunciations but not so when I visited New England. It was lovely to hear the same names, like Gloucester & Worcester, in Massachusetts pronounced exactly how it would be here.

When I toured Boston, it was too expensive to stay in the central area and it can be terrible to drive in so I stayed in the outskirts by the ring road then take the train into city.

I left the rental car in the suburb of Winchester and took the commuter train into Boston North Station. I was bit alarmed to find there were no ticket machines and no ticket office so there was no way to get a ticket apart from an electronic one from an app I didn't want to use.

Luckily the guard was very friendly and let me on the train without a ticket, no sign of an inspector also no ticket barriers at North Station.

I purchased a ticket for the return trip back to Winchester, I got this from the counter. I did not realise about the pronunciation being the same, I thought the guy at the counter may have trouble understanding me if I say Winchester in the Hampshire way so I told him "Ween-CHESTER" then he repeated my question by saying Winchester correctly in the Hampshire way! I came away feeling like a plum!

Alsager pronounced all -sager by locals and north midlands but al-sager (as in Alan) by the Atos system

Status
Not open for further replies.