• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway Stations that are next to each other but have no direct services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was about to say Redbridge and Totton, BUT BUT BUT...
I believe late night trains to Poole/Weymouth do call at these stations. But In the daytime I've never heard of a Brockenhurst-bound train at Redbridge.

Another one is Victoria to Wandsworth Road. (There is a line to there but the SE services don't stop.

Vauxhall and Queenstown Road Battersea is TRICKY...
This would be relevant if you're talking about the Wimbledon-bound services, only time those services stop at QRB is if they're diverted via the District line via Southfields.

Tooting and Balham! I almost forgot about this actually!

Selhurst to Norwood Junction, not 100% sure about this, I'm sure there's some line but I suppose it goes through the depot so probably doesn't count.

Tulse Hill and Streatham hill has a VERY limited service. Only heard announcements for it only once in the last two years.

South Croydon - Sanderstead is also a limited one, most services pass through South Croydon.

Finally, Battersea Park - Imperial wharf (wait are the 1-a-day trains Kensington bound?)
Vauxhall - Wandsworth Road.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
Redbridge to Totton are also served by a couple of peak extras/early morning/late evening trains that don',t do the full Salisbury 6.

Parallel

Established Member
Even when the HST to Bristol via Trowbridge ran I'm pretty sure it didn't call at Pewsey.

Ah yes, I got Pewsey confused for Bedwyn! The HSTs used to go Bedwyn - Trowbridge and didn't call at Pewsey.

Thanks for the info. I didnt realise that. It would be good to see the second platform at Yeoford reopened or a crossover provided after Yeoford station. Although i see the Yeoford is a request stop so i am not sure how busy it is and if direct services would be useful?

If Dartmoor Railway extend their services to Yeoford, I'd imagine you would get people changing trains there for stations to Exeter and beyond, and also Barnstaple. A similar set up to Clarbeston Road in Wales. If GWR ever run an all year round service I'm unsure, though it would make a good changing point for those going towards Barnstaple, who would instead have to travel down to Credition, possibly with a Barnstaple bound train passing on the other line between Crediton and Yeoford. I still can't see usage being huge for the latter though.

A couple of classic ones are Lockerbie - Carstairs, and Chesterfield or Dronfield - Dore & Totley.

Also Castleford - Sherburn in Elmet in Yorkshire.

Regarding the Birmingham New Street - Small Heath, Small Heath is technically on the Great Western Railway metals, with Birmingham NS being part of both Midland Railway and London & North Western Railway metals.

There is a direct link from Lockerbie to Carstairs
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y70765/2016/09/19/advanced

mlambeuk

Poppleton to Selby
Poppleton to Ulleskelf
Poppleton to Doncaster
Going via the York avoiding line

the sniper

Established Member
Most of the West Mids ones have been posted, seemingly apart from:

Langley Green - Smethwick Rolfe Street
Coleshill Parkway - Wilnecote

Barnt Green - Bromsgrove (not at the moment anyway, will this change when the Cross-city electrification is extended?)

This isn't one even now. There are two Down trains in the morning and two Up trains in the evening calling at both.

Status
Not open for further replies.