• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: shortest possible journey that can be made on each TOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groningen

Established Member
Those not known with a chain; it is 20.1168 meters. My guess of Culrain to Invershin and v.v. is about 600 meters at the most.

In Germany i go for Norddeich to Norddeich Mole and v.v. with about 300 to 350 meters.

In the Netherlands the shortest distance is 900 meters between Zoetermeer and Zoetermeer Oost.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
For SWT it has to be Ryde Pier Head to Esplanade, at 32 chains.

jobbers

I would have thought Folkestone West to Central would take some beating?

Requeststop

I reckon I can best all comers with this one.

St Budeaux Victoria Road to St Budeaux Ferry Road.
Distance (as the crow flies), the width of a small road.
By train; to/from Plymouth, or occasionally a connection at Devonport. This would not qualify, except that on Mondays to Fridays there is a direct train, departing Victoria Road at 1803 and arriving Ferry Road at 1825. The fare is £13.00!!!

That has to be the most expensive / mile journey it is possible to make on the UK rail network on one train.

I don't deny that is the price quoted on the site, but, and please pardon me if I am wrong, Doesn't GWR do a Cornwall Off Peak Rover ticket what would cover the journey. My memory is that it would cover all Cornish lines up to Plymouth and include the Gunnislake branch and would be cheaper than the £13.00 quoted.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I don't deny that is the price quoted on the site, but, and please pardon me if I am wrong, Doesn't GWR do a Cornwall Off Peak Rover ticket what would cover the journey. My memory is that it would cover all Cornish lines up to Plymouth and include the Gunnislake branch and would be cheaper than the £13.00 quoted.

The "Ride Cornwall" rover is £13. So NRE is probably getting confused (bless it) and is probably offering that in place of other tickets

tsr

Established Member
I reckon I can best all comers with this one.

St Budeaux Victoria Road to St Budeaux Ferry Road.
Distance (as the crow flies), the width of a small road.
By train; to/from Plymouth, or occasionally a connection at Devonport. This would not qualify, except that on Mondays to Fridays there is a direct train, departing Victoria Road at 1803 and arriving Ferry Road at 1825. The fare is £13.00!!!

That has to be the most expensive / mile journey it is possible to make on the UK rail network on one train.

There will be some similar ones on the loop services around suburban London which are pretty daft. However, neither your example nor these are the shortest possible journey purely when mileage taken by any given passenger service, or time, for that matter, is taken into account.

You don't need to go via the M23. There looks to be a route possible heading west through Horley to get to the A23, then head south to Gatwick. Still a very indirect route, and likely very slow.

Of course not, and in fact Horley has no junction on the M23 anyway - but the moment the M23 has a problem, it spills over onto the A23, which will in turn impact most feasible routes from Horley to Gatwick.

Even if the trains are pretty heavily disrupted, Horley-Gatwick is still usually quicker on the railway - or on foot, in fact! Quite a few people do it as a commute by train.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
ATW - Llanrwst - Llanrwst North?

It cant be much more than a few hundred metres.

Thebaz

TFL: Leicester Square - Covent Garden is surely the shortest of all. 300 yards or 13 chains.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Not a train line I know, but when Mosley Street tram stop was open in Manchester, I missed a tram at Piccadilly Gardens. After a brisk walk to Mosley Street I picked up the same tram.

boxy321

LM - Moor Street to Snow Hill!

Can't believe nobody has said it. 32ch depending on where you get on or off.

iantherev

The "Ride Cornwall" rover is £13. So NRE is probably getting confused (bless it) and is probably offering that in place of other tickets

Devon Ranger is only £10 and would do the job - indeed at that time the Evening Ranger would be cheaper still.

BR Fares show (unsurprisingly) no fares available so you'd need a Ranger/Rover.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member

And equal to 4 rods / poles / perches; this used to be printed in tables on the back of school exercise books.
Ah, another chance to post one of my favorite images illustrating the illogical Imperial units of length:

(Image shows the relationship between units of length. It would take way too long to explain, trust me it's a mess.)

sw1ller

Established Member
I would suggest Wrexham central to Wrexham general, that's only about 30 chains. Oxford Rd to Piccadilly is 65 chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I would suggest Wrexham central to Wrexham general, that's only about 30 chains. Oxford Rd to Piccadilly is 65 chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already pointed out that ATWs shortest pair are Ty Glas and Birchgrove - the closest pair of stations in the country (I think it's these two - definitely on the Coryton branch)

Status
Not open for further replies.