• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Shortest possible loop in the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Following on from the "longest possible loop" thread:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109044

Using the same rules, what is the SHORTEST possible loop. I nominate Newcastle Central to Newcastle Central (Newcastle Central-King Edward VII Bridge-High Level Bridge-Newcastle Central).

Can you actually make the journey as a passenger by train though ?

Would suggest an alternative being Glasgow Central to Glasgow Central via Cathcart.

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Actually am not sure of my own suggestion and the one above as they aren't really starting and finishing at the same point. Not sure if the Glasgow Subway would count either as it isn't 'mainline'.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Radlett stone terminal - Radlett stone terminal?

I could arrange a wrong routing ;)

WestCountry

Kennington loop on the Northern line (Kennington - Kennington, where all the Charing Cross trains go through when they terminate there to go back northbound)
Does that count? It's not a 'loop' in the sense that you end up in the same place as you started and can keep going around without changing direction.

Clapham Junction - Herne Hill - Tulse Hill - Clapham Jn is fairly tight.

David Goddard

Established Member
Ely West Junction - Ely North Junction - Ely West Junction.

The Ely West Curve has always affectionately been known as just "the loop"

WestCountry

Did not know about the changing direction - as I saw the GLC - GLC loop above I assumed not (unless there is a part of GLC I'm forgetting!)
Not my thread, just trying to guess at the OP's intent.

The OP's example is an actual loop, as is the impressive Radlett one. I don't think any of the others are. Maybe just mention on posts which category it's in?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
When it was open - Pilot halt - Pilot Halt via the Dungeness loop on the RHDR. Also there are many European tram systems which use single cab stock & have turning loops often with a very sharp radius. I believe a loop is being proposed at Croydon on Tramlink.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
What about:
Meadowhall (S. Yorks) past the disused Rotherham Masboro' station then at Swinton going back via Rotherham Central?
Does that count as a loop?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Birmingham New St-Soho-Aston-New St is certainly a circle. Not the smallest though.
You can go the other way too: Wolverhampton-Bescot-Soho-Tipton-Wolverhampton, and various useful combinations of these two.
Then there's New St-St Andrews-Lifford-Bourneville-New St.

Lee_Again

What about Newcastle to Newcastle over the bridges. Pretty sure you go around in a loop if signalled correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.