• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Similar sounding stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rower40

Kemble
(Little) Kimble.

And two that I confuse, but aren't really similar-sounding:
Shotts
Stepps
Because they're both made from doubling the fourth letter of a real (plural) word, they both lie on E-W lines in Scotland's Central Belt named after them, and they both start with S.

Last edited:

broadgage

Nunhead and Nuneaton don't really sound that similar to me, but have been confused more than once.
I was stranded at Kings Cross thameslink once, wishing to travel to Nunhead but unable to do so due to a breakdown.
The station supervisor booked me a taxi to Nuneaton ! Fortunately I soon realised that we were headed in the wrong direction.
Someone new to the UK could well have ended up in Nuneaton.

An Indian looking gent alighted from a train at Taunton and asked a cab driver to take him to "the heath" After considerable speculation about hotels or new housing developments that might be called "the heath" It became clear that the gent wanted Thornton Heath in London.

Established Member
Clapton and Clacton.

Dover and Dovercourt. Had a car driver in Harwich once ask where the ferry to France was. The sat nav had taken him well adrift.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Ifield and Ilford
Charing (Kent) and Charing Cross (both London and Glasgow)

Also, how about the various London Road stations, such as Brighton, Guildford, Bicester (whatever capitalist branding it has these days), Leicester (Midland Railway), and Manchester (the present day Piccadilly)?

snowball

Established Member
Is Leigh not pronounced to rhyme with Lye (West Mids) rather than Lee (South London)?
Leigh (Greater Manchester) is pronounced just like Lee.
Thurleigh (Beds) is pronounced Thur-lye.
I assume the many other place names containing Leigh are Lee, but I don't know.

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
Ford (Devon) Ford (Sussex)
Tower Hill (Padstow branch) Tower Hill (LUL)
Knighton and Kington (Powys)

Ediswan

Established Member
Woking and Wokingham.

For those who don't know the latter, the 'ham' bit is often pronounced as a very modest 'm'. More like Woking and Wokingm. Cue one disgruntled 1980s ticket office clerk who had to repeat the whole process of looking up and issuing a hand written ticket.

EM2

Established Member
I had a colleague try to direct a customer to a Nottingham train, and change there for Snaresbrook. When I politely corrected him, he realised he was sending the customer to Shirebrook!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
London Kings Cross and Kings Lynn is another one.

But as mentioned Cottingham, Nottingham and Mottingham is a confusing one!

Bookd

Gillingham (Dorset) and Gilllingham (Kent)
Ashford (Middlesex) and Ashford (Kent)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Attenborough and Attleborough, there used to be a Derby-Norwich all shacks that called at both of those.

thirdriding

Strangely a couple of the station announcers at Doncaster seem to pronounce 'Goole' and 'Hull' the same.

neilmc

I went to Mossley from Manchester Victoria recently, fortunately I realised I'd been sold a ticket to Moston before boarding the train.

steevp

I used to work as a conductor guard and came across all the following genuine confusions:
Newbury/Norbury
Strood/Stroud (he had a ticket to Strood, wanted Stroud, but had apparently been travelling every week with the wrong ticket)
Mottingham/Nottingham
Gillingham KEN/Gillingham DOR
Clapham SRY/Clapham YRK
Southbourne SSX/Southbourne nr Bournemouth (in fairness to the ticket clerk there is only a station at one of them)

backontrack

Established Member
Lostock, Lostock Hall, Lostock Gralam...

Also, I get Wilmcote and Willington mixed up occasionally.

Longport and Longton, Bramley and, erm, Bramley, and the famous mix-up between Liverpool Lime Street and London Liverpool Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.