• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Similar sounding stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bodiddly

Barnhill/Barrhill
Fort William/Fitzwilliam
Uphall/Upholland
My favourite which is West Kilbride and East Kilbride which are about 45 rail miles apart!

Howardh

Established Member
Barnhill/Barrhill
Fort William/Fitzwilliam
Uphall/Upholland
My favourite which is West Kilbride and East Kilbride which are about 45 rail miles apart!

That should be another thread, stations which sound like they are close but are anything but!

EM2

Established Member
Just remembered one we had a few weeks ago, when a colleague asked how a customer got to Hawick (but pronounced it 'Har-wick'). Having broken the news to him that there hadn't been a station there for nearly fifty years, it turned out that the customer was actually asking for Harwich

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Mount Florida
Mount Vernon
(Mount ainAsh:))

And the stations starting with Inver...

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Malton and Bolton.

Speaking of liverpool lime street, i once had someone board my train at Reading asking for liverpool street on my manchester bound service. So naturally i told them to change at stafford. It was only on approach to oxford when the TM showed me the tickets which stated London Terminals!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Dent, Denton and Dinting...

Denton wont really be an issue, theres only one single train a week!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Horwich/Harwich?

Just remembered one we had a few weeks ago, when a colleague asked how a customer got to Hawick (but pronounced it 'Har-wick'). Having broken the news to him that there hadn't been a station there for nearly fifty years, it turned out that the customer was actually asking for Harwich

You can add Harlech to these two as well.

I think that I've said before about the bus driver who thought he was taking our group to Harwich when we wanted to go to Harlech ... it's just as well that we checked first!

FartinLewis

Victoria (London) / Victoria (Manchester)
Piccadilly (LUL) / Piccadilly (Manchester)
Hythe / Hythe (Kent)
Eastbourne / Westbourne (Park!)
Leigh / Leigh-on-Sea
Rochester / Colchester

Howardh

Established Member
Pax must get Salford Central and Salford Crescent mixed up? I'm surprised they allowed two staions so close - but not close enough - to have similar names.

Not sure what the alternatives could be - Windsor Crescent?

Andyjs247

The two Sudbury stations are confusing:
Sudbury Hill Harrow
Sudbury and Harrow Road

Lye
Leigh (the one near Tonbridge, Kent)

Lee
Leigh (Lancashire)
Leigh on Sea (Essex)

Islip
Any of the Ruislip stations

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Pax must get Salford Central and Salford Crescent mixed up? I'm surprised they allowed two staions so close - but not close enough - to have similar names.

Not sure what the alternatives could be - Windsor Crescent?

Crescent really ought to be "Salford University"...

pemma

Veteran Member
Crescent really ought to be "Salford University"...

Shouldn't it be "University of Salford. Manchester" :roll:

I watched "Life is Goodish" on Dave the other night where Dave Gorman was taking the **** out of advertising for "University of Loughborough. London" at one of the Tube stations.

And, if light rail is permitted...
Kelvinbridge
Kelvinhall

Both those stations are fairly close to Kelvindale, as well.

Ayr, Airdrie, Airbles.

Pollokshields East, Pollokshields West, Pollokshaws East and Pollokshaws West are the worst though. I've been in Glasgow for 10 years and I still can't tell them apart.

Newton (On Ayr), Newton (Lanark) which is also known as Newton (S'cylde), Newton (Ayecliffe), Newton (Abbott), Newton (for Hyde), Newton (St Cyres), Newton (Le Willows).

pemma

Veteran Member
Marsden
Marden

Strangely when a station was built in Lancashire they called it Nelson Inn, Marsden to avoid confusion with Marsden in Yorkshire. Then the town finished up adopting the name 'Nelson' as smaller settlements finished up merging in to a larger town.

Pinza-C55

In about 1978 I went to Sunderland station and asked for a day return to Bempton near Filey. The booking clerk looked surprised and , thinking I meant Benton on the Tyneside Loop, said "It's closed". Pointing to Bempton on the map I said "no it isn't can I have my CDR please ?".

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Strangely when a station was built in Lancashire they called it Nelson Inn, Marsden to avoid confusion with Marsden in Yorkshire. Then the town finished up adopting the name 'Nelson' as smaller settlements finished up merging in to a larger town.

Is that why tickets to Marsden still say "Marsden, Yorks" on? This had always puzzled me as the only other Marsden I was aware of was (IIRC) in County Durham and closed before nationalisation!

Kneedown

Established Member
Always fun at Norwich explaing to London Liverpool St passengers that they really don't want to be boarding the Liverpool Lime St service.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The seven Actons:
  • Acton Central (NLL)
  • Acton Main Line (GWR/HC)
  • Acton Town (LU District + Piccadilly)
  • East Acton (LU Central)
  • North Acton (LU Central)
  • South Acton (NLL)
  • West Acton (LU Central)

The five Ealings:
  • Ealing Broadway (GWR/HC/LU Central + District)
  • Ealing Common (LU District + Piccadilly)
  • North Ealing (LU Piccadilly)
  • South Ealing (LU Piccadilly)
  • West Ealing (GWR/HC)

Tonbridge / Royal Tunbridge Wells
Royal Leamington Spa / Lymington Town / Lymington Pier

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
The seven Actons:
  • Acton Central (NLL)
  • Acton Main Line (GWR/HC)
  • Acton Town (LU District + Piccadilly)
  • East Acton (LU Central)
  • North Acton (LU Central)
  • South Acton (NLL)
  • West Acton (LU Central)

There's also Acton Bridge on the Liverpool-Crewe line.

I've also just remembered Waterloo station is in Merseyside, the London terminus station commonly called Waterloo is actually London Waterloo.

Michael.Y

Established Member
I've also just remembered Waterloo station is in Merseyside, the London terminus station commonly called Waterloo is actually London Waterloo.

Always remember, and feel slightly sorry for, the lady who boarded an ATW train to Manchester at Hereford instead of the FGW service for London. All because she heard that the train was going to "Piccadilly".

Status
Not open for further replies.