• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia(?): Stations next to a supermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

colchesterken

What we need is a full indexed list, so that spotters know where they can get a pie and a tin of something to drink between trains!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Nigel and Spencer?

There is an Asda and a Sainsbury's in close proximity to Y Fflint station.

CheekyBandit

St Neots – Tesco 2 Mins walk from the ‘Back’ entrance to the Station (Loves Farm)

Tend to use the Spar on Cambridge Street - further away but close to the X5 bus stop.

Doncaster – Sainsburys 2 Mins walk across the road using the Pedestrian Crossing and then left where you’ll reach the shopping centre entrance on your right.

I thought the crossing has gone - have to use the shopping centre extension and find it. I think it was 2003 I was last able to used it though I don't go there often.

Darnall - has a Fultons and a Lidl nearby - the bus I use often passes the bottom of the station approach and the Fultons

Last edited:

greaterwest

Established Member
Here are some that i can think of.
Blackwater - Aldi
Blackwater - Lidl
All of these are either right next to the station or a very short walk from the station.

I am sure there are lots that i have missed off the list or forgotten about as well.

Tesco and M&S are across the road in the other direction (from the Guildford bound platform) at Blackwater too.

CheekyBandit

Worksop - Aldi. Google maps gives 8 minutes walk via a long winded route. Shorter walk is turning right out of station (any P1 exit), down steps from car park, turning right and walking to end of the road where store is opposite.

sk688

Hatch End has a morrisons and a Tesco express literally next to them , the Morrisons is over a bridge and the Tesco Express is less than 100m from the station

Also , Harrow on the Hill has a Tesco express outside the station and a Morrisons next to it
Pinner has a massive sainsbury's next to the station entrance

Just out of intrerest , what is Booths ? Never seen any of them round here

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
I thought the crossing has gone - have to use the shopping centre extension and find it. I think it was 2003 I was last able to used it though I don't go there often.

No, there used to be a subway outside the station at Donny that led you pretty much straight to the Sainsburys, that has gone. The pedestrian crossing is still there, not as convenient as the old subway, but less fuss than negotiating the upper floor of the shopping centre. When you come out of the front of the station, the crossing is at about 1 o'clock, by the road entrance to the station.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Hatch End has a morrisons and a Tesco express literally next to them , the Morrisons is over a bridge and the Tesco Express is less than 100m from the station

Also , Harrow on the Hill has a Tesco express outside the station and a Morrisons next to it
Pinner has a massive sainsbury's next to the station entrance

Just out of intrerest , what is Booths ? Never seen any of them round here

Booths is a Lancashire based supermarket with stores across the North West and a few in Yorkshire.

Basically it's a high end supermarket that makes Waitrose look like Aldi. Their stores are a cut above.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Within 5 mins Morecambe Morrison's and Scarborough Tesco.Also Filey Tesco

Just about every major station on the Wolds Coast line has a sizeable Tesco either adjoining the station or within a 5 minute walk. This applies to Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington, Driffield, Beverley and Hull!

SGB1953

I can't see Tunbridge Wells which has a Morrisons outside on thee list, all the more surprising as Tunbridge Wells West and Tonbridge have been mentioned -or have I inadvertently missed a page? Also Flitwick has a Tesco with an entrance to the car park by the station entrance, I don't remember seeing that mentioned in the thread either although I wasn't looking as I have only just thought of it.

Sadly the Tunbridge Wells Morrisons closed in April 2016, I think it was Sunday 3rd at 16:00.

When I last walked past it was being refitted, though not apparently as a supermarket.

There is a Sainsbury's local across the road from the Mount Pleasant exit.

dgl

Established Member
There's an Aldi near Weymouth station and on it's way to Dorchester it passes next to Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco with the line separating Morrisons and Sainsbury's.

Sent from my Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

LimeStSte

Neston shares a car park with Aldi and also has a Sainsburys supermarket a couple of minutes away and a Tesco Express 5 mins away.

parkender102

Tend to use the Spar on Cambridge Street - further away but close to the X5 bus stop.

Darnall - has a Fultons and a Lidl nearby - the bus I use often passes the bottom of the station approach and the Fultons

Didn't realize there was a SPAR in St Neots - will check next time I'm there. The Doncaster Sainsburys is definitely easier to access by the new looking Pedestrian Crossing virtually opposite the station - no need to enter the shopping centre on the Station side. Last time I was there was 3 weeks ago.

james60059

Atherstone: Aldi and Co-op.
Nuneaton: Asda.
Hinckley: Tesco.
Tamworth: Morrisons.
Water Orton: Tesco Express.

When Kenilworth opens, a Waitrose is nearby

Last edited:

bastien

Bath Spa - Sainsbury's just opposite.
Dorchester West - The Range (okay not a supermarket but you could get some broken biscuits).
Frome - some kind of Pound Shop (ditto).
Birchgrove - Lidl just to the South.

Last edited:

BurtonM

There's a Sainsbury's Local pretty much at the top of the approach road to Wolverhampton, if that counts for much.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With regard to regional supermarkets, one of the oddest is Tuffin's which has branches dotted in various places along either side of the Welsh border. The labyrinthine Knighton branch is about 10mins walk from the station, in the town. Not sure if any are closer- perhaps Chirk or Ruabon.

FenMan

Established Member
Tesco and M&S are across the road in the other direction (from the Guildford bound platform) at Blackwater too.

Surely Blackwater wins in the variety of supermarkets on offer?
Value: Aldi, Lidl
Mid-range: Tesco
Upmarket: M&S Food Hall

And, for the adventurous, the Waitrose is a 10 minute walk.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Britains newest station - Edinburgh Gateway, morrisons right across the A8 or under it where the tram goes.

Clansman

Established Member
Perth - Morrisons across the road from the entrance to the back end of the station (platforms 4-7).

Status
Not open for further replies.