• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations on our railway network which are closed but the platforms still exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What stations on our network are closed but the platforms still exist? I can think of the old Thameslink station at Kings Cross St Pancras and Bishopstone Beach Halt between Newhaven Harbour and Bishopstone on the Seaford branch for some examples. Note i am only talking about closed stations on railway lines that are still open and have trains running. Can anyone think of any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Norton Bridge platform is still there, just! In relation there's also Wedg(e?)wood and Barlaston (though their status as "closed" is up for debate).

Ditton on the North side of the Mersey still had platforms (and even nameboards) last time I went through.

Iskra

Established Member
From the Sheffield area;

The old Chapeltown station- just North of the current station.
Brightside station
Rotherham Masborough station
Attercliffe Road station
Wadsley Bridge station
Oughty Bridge (Oughtibridge)

Last two currently on the branch to the Stocksbridge steel works, freight only, former Woodhead line.

DanNCL

Established Member
Not National Rail but the platforms for the original Jesmond station still exist, now on the Manors empty stock line on the Tyne & Wear Metro but nothing has called there since British Rail operated the line.

I think Bedlington and Ashington on the now freight only Blyth & Tyne route still have platforms too.

Buggleskelly

Towards the eastern end of the District Line (LU), the track runs parallel with the Essex Thameside (c2c) mainline. Some of these stations (Hornchurch, Dagenham East, Becontree etc) still have the old LTSR platforms intact from when those trains used to call there. According to Wikipedia, these platforms closed in 1962 leaving the stations as a whole to be still served by the District Line.

Southsider

Eglinton Street in Glasgow though less remains every time works are carried out.
Partickhill on the north side.

transmanche

Established Member
I can think of the old Thameslink station at Kings Cross St Pancras [...]
King's Cross Thameslink is an interesting one: although Thameslink trains no longer call there, the station buildings are still in use as a Pentonville Road entrance to the LU station. Plus the station platforms can be used as an emergency evacuation point for Thameslink trains - hence why the platforms remain.

On the parallel Circle/H&C/Metropolitan lines, you can still see the original w/b platform, which closed about 1941.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Knowle Asylum Halt.
Crawley, old location.

This is a question with many hundreds of answers.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not National Rail but the platforms for the original Jesmond station still exist, now on the Manors empty stock line on the Tyne & Wear Metro but nothing has called there since British Rail operated the line.

I think Bedlington and Ashington on the now freight only Blyth & Tyne route still have platforms too.
Bedlington definitely, it was discussed in a couple of threads just a week or two ago.

LowLevel

Established Member
Marchington between Tutbury and Hatton and Uttoxeter.

Honington between Grantham and Ancaster.

A section of Radway Green between Crewe and Alsager still exists under the road bridge.

Smethwick West on the Jewellery line.

Buxworth between Chinley and New Mills.

Selsdon (at the junction of the still open South Croydon to Sanderstead Line and the closed Sanderstead to Elmers End Line).

ANDREW_D_WEBB

The original Osterley station, just east of the current Piccadilly Line, station still has its original platforms.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Tiverton Junction on the Bristol to Exeter Line. Closed mid 1980s all buildings now removed but platforms still in situ although may now be missing edge coping.

And 250 miles to the North, Park Station which was situated between Miles Platting and Clayton Bridge stations on the L&Y route from Manchester to Huddersfield, platforms overgrown but still in place and visible when onboard passing trains.

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member
Culloden
Tomatin
Mulben
Errol
Perth Princes Street
Duddingston
Morningside Road
Craiglockhart
Rutherglen (main line)
Wishaw South
Thornhill
Holywood
IBM
...are the ones I can think of in Scotland, in addition to Eglinton Street and Partickhill mentioned above. There may be a few more besides.

alxndr

Established Member
There must be hundreds.

Wantage Road, Shrivenham and Corsham all have some platform remaining, Wantage being the best example.

FenMan

Established Member
Wolferton, for Sandringham.

wolferton-station.jpg

MadMac

Culloden
Tomatin
Mulben
Errol
Perth Princes Street
Duddingston
Morningside Road
Craiglockhart
Rutherglen (main line)
Wishaw South
Thornhill
Holywood
IBM
...are the ones I can think of in Scotland, in addition to Eglinton Street and Partickhill mentioned above. There may be a few more besides.

Does anything still exist of the platform(s) at Beattock? What about Cumberland Street?

Also, my duties caused me to walk the Sunnyside Goods line many years ago, and I vaguely recall a platform more or less opposite Coatbridge Central.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Beattock, yes! Cumberland Street, pass. I walked the Sunnyside Basin line in 2013 (as part of the Motherwell North Signalling Renewals scheme) and don’t recall passing any extant platforms then.

Status
Not open for further replies.