• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations with no scheduled services passing through non-stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadMac

Few ideas for "all passenger trains stop" which I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Shotts, West Calder and Livingston South
Bellshill and Wishaw (might be some "route knowledge retention" ones?)
Airdrie-Bathgate
Springburn Branch
Corkerhill-Paisley Canal
Ayr-Stranraer line
Kilmarnock-Carlisle
Largs and Ardrossan Harbour branches
Cowdenbeath line

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Assuming the odd ECS doesn't count (i.e. we are just talking service trains) and we are going off the timetable rather than on-spec cancellations, all of Merseyrail except Capenhurst.

Burscough Junction, Rufford, Croston
Rainford, Orrell, Pemberton, Wigan Wallgate
I don't think anything in service bypasses Preston, does it?
Probably also some stations on Southport-Wigan but I'd have to look at the timetable to see which ones. I'd venture Burscough Bridge at least.

Basically, pick a country branch line...most of them are simple all stations shuttles.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Few ideas for "all passenger trains stop" which I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Airdrie-Bathgate
Springburn Branch
Corkerhill-Paisley Canal
Ayr-Stranraer line
Kilmarnock-Carlisle
Cowdenbeath line
There's an AM Peak service from Helensburgh to Springburn that runs non-stop from High Street to Springburn.
Airdrie to Bathgate: The Fort William part of the Highland Sleeper runs non-stop from Edinburgh to Glasgow via this route.
Your hunch about Bellshill and Wishaw was correct. Some AVANTI and TPX services avoid Motherwell using that route.

gnolife

Established Member
On the Inverclyde lines I think everything stops at Bishopton, Port Glasgow then Greenock Central, Greenock West, Fort Matilda and Gourock or all stations to Wemyss Bay

richard1976

All stations on the Looe Valley line (services that don't call at Coombe Junction reverse outside the station) and don't think there are any regular freight services

cle

Established Member
There are many hundreds of stations where everything stops. I don't think the OP wanted a list of each local line with a stopping service.

But rather, stations with a mix of traffic, services and so forth - where they are seen as an important, 'mandatory' stop, which might be interesting or contentious or have specific reasoning. Examples might be Oxford, Runcorn, Preston (yes, sleeper) or Leicester.

tsr

Established Member
Epsom, Worcester Park, Sutton, Cheam, Carshalton, everything below Epsom towards Dorking and Guildford except Boxhill...?

Not everything stops at all stations between Effingham Junction and Guildford (for example, 1K91).

• Carshalton, Sutton, Cheam, Epsom, Ashtead, Leatherhead, Dorking, Holmwood, Ockley, Warnham, Horsham
  • Carshalton Beeches, Wallington, Waddon, West Croydon

Some trains skip Waddon, Carshalton Beeches and also Ashtead.

Established Member
A bit of a funny one but I was wondering if Hampden Park near Eastbourne counts? I am quite sure that just about every train that passes through there stops at least once (whether before Eastbourne or after). I can't think of one that skips it both directions.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
A bit of a funny one but I was wondering if Hampden Park near Eastbourne counts? I am quite sure that just about every train that passes through there stops at least once (whether before Eastbourne or after). I can't think of one that skips it both directions.

The Brighton-Ashford's used to skip Hampden Park both ways (but did stop under special traffic arrangement during engineering works) but as the service has now been cut back to Eastbourne, I'm not sure now unless I look it up.

On the subject, I think every train stops at Polegate (in normal passenger service), Bexhill and Hastings along with Rye, Appledore and Ham Street

py_megapixel

Established Member
I seem to remember someone mentioning that a condition of access to the Stockport viaduct was that trains made a stop in the station. I believe that there are however a few trains which pass Stockport now.

vlad

I seem to remember someone mentioning that a condition of access to the Stockport viaduct was that trains made a stop in the station. I believe that there are however a few trains which pass Stockport now.

There used to be plenty, given that XC ran one train an hour non-stop between Manchester and Stoke. They all now stop at Stockport, however.

Northern still run a few trains through Stockport without stopping, for example the 1356 from Stoke to Manchester on Saturdays, which calls at all stations except Stockport (and Longport - but not much stops there anyway)....

56131 EllColl

I thought that the Fort William sleeper went that way sometimes. (I realise that other routes are available depending on engineering work cycles.)
Used to operate via Falkirk High in London bound direction only, but with EGIP electrification completed it now operates via Bathgate serving additionally Glasgow Qst LowLevel.

TheSel

Assuming the odd ECS doesn't count (i.e. we are just talking service trains) and we are going off the timetable rather than on-spec cancellations, all of Merseyrail except Capenhurst.

Probably also some stations on Southport-Wigan but I'd have to look at the timetable to see which ones. I'd venture Burscough Bridge at least.

Yes - twixt Southport and Wigan all non-ECS services call at Meols Cop, Burscough Bridge, Parbold, Appley Bridge and Gathurst.

But interestingly, for Merseyrail, several stations will be closed on Boxing Day, with scheduled services calling at "selected stops" - details at this link: https://www.merseyrail.org/christmas-timetables/boxing-day-trains.aspx

So for one day only (until next time!) there WILL be non-stop service trains through several stations, both sides of the Mersey.

(Edit - added Parbold, which I forgot when originally posing this)

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
All stations on the Looe Valley line (services that don't call at Coombe Junction reverse outside the station) and don't think there are any regular freight services
11 trains per day skip St Keyne, Causeland and Sandplace

route101

Established Member

Airdrie-Bathgate
Springburn Branch
Corkerhill-Paisley Canal
Ayr-Stranraer line
Kilmarnock-Carlisle
Cowdenbeath line

Dont some services skip Armadale and Blackridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.