• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Trivia) Things you’ve seen or heard since lockdown that you didn’t experience before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Today I had to change between West Hampstead Thameslink station and get a London Overground train from West Hampstead.
Whilst on the platform at the latter, I could hear trains on the nearly Jubilee Line station arriving / departing. In normal times, certainly for the most part of the day, the road traffic drowns out the sound.

Attachments

• D0BE5932-45D1-49F4-AB58-4198A2FC594C.jpeg
    D0BE5932-45D1-49F4-AB58-4198A2FC594C.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 92
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Not related to the thread, but why on earth have they put social distancing stickers beyond the yellow line!?

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
My goodness, I’ve been seeing that and not really thought how bizarre that is !!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Chinook helicopter(s) flying around in the Manchester area. (Tend to hear it well before you see it!)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Genuine traffic-free silence in Cambridge in the evening. Absolute bliss.

I went for a walk just now and as I rounded a corner a child about 5 meters away from me heading towards me turned round and hid behind a hedge. I was crossing over the road anyway but as I crossed I heard the child's mother tell her 'well done'! This virus/lockdown is going to do some serious societal damage if people carry on behaving like that!

Bantamzen

Established Member
Probably the things I've noticed the most:

Positives
- On my daily walks I can hear far more male pheasants around, and the ducks on the canal look totally fed up presumably because fewer people are around to chuck food at them
- We now have a local fish & chip delivery service
- I've discovered a whole new wooded walking area I'd never realised was so close to where I live

Negatives
- People are quickly becoming far more skittish around other people
- People arguing over flour in supermarkets

deltic

Established Member
People arguing over flour in supermarkets

I haven’t seen flour in our supermarket for 2 months.

But have seen more foxes in the daytime in central London Including in St James Park

The highlight has been the absence of planes overhead

sheff1

Established Member
People stepping out into the road without looking for moving vehicles, just because someone is walking the other way on the footpath.

People wearing a mask on their chin whilst sitting on benches inhaling toxic matter from cigarettes.

baz962

Established Member
Today I had to change between West Hampstead Thameslink station and get a London Overground train from West Hampstead.
Whilst on the platform at the latter, I could hear trains on the nearly Jubilee Line station arriving / departing. In normal times, certainly for the most part of the day, the road traffic drowns out the sound.
Can't believe you don't normally hear the jubilee. I usually notice it over the traffic , everytime I'm waiting.

Wildrover

Yesterday a walk in glorious weather and met a lobster fisherman, fishing from the Wardie Bay breakwater, Leith Edinburgh would have missed that if I had been working at the office as usual, the adjacent flat dwellers have a great view up the Firth.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Peak traffic being less than normal off-peak traffic - a very weird sensation. It is slowly climbing to pre-COVID-19 levels, but still a long way off. Below a great example:

I drove back from seeing Virgin Atlantic G-VXLG 747 land in Manchester for the very last time. I was doing 70 on the Sharston Link (last part of the M56 before it merges with the M60 near Chesdle/Didsbury) around 17:30. Anybody who knows south Manchester will know that even in school holidays it was nigh on impossible to get a clear run through there on weekdays between the afternoon school run and around 7pm!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
That awkward moment when you arrive at a shop and there's no queue but you hang around outside anyway waiting for permission to enter from someone who looks vaguely authoritative.

scotrail158713

Established Member
That awkward moment when you arrive at a shop and there's no queue but you hang around outside anyway waiting for permission to enter from someone who looks vaguely authoritative.
I had something similar the other day. I waited a couple of minutes before thinking “screw it, I’m going in” - I went in and there was nobody in there.

james60059

I've noticed my Friday afternoon shopping trip has been a pleasant experience since social distancing was introduced. Usually people barge past, push in front of shelves to get items or just generally act like a pain in the backside. But since SD was implemented, people are patient, and wait their turn to get what they need from the shelves. You even get a nod and Thank You now when before you didn't.

This sounds strange, but 'rediscovering' items we used to need before coronavirus/lockdown which are now obsolete. For example a rucksack which I used to use for going to work each day or a water bottle. Not had reason to use either for 10 weeks and likely won't need them any time soon!

scotrail158713

Established Member
This sounds strange, but 'rediscovering' items we used to need before coronavirus/lockdown which are now obsolete. For example a rucksack which I used to use for going to work each day or a water bottle. Not had reason to use either for 10 weeks and likely won't need them any time soon!
Agreed. My football refereeing kit has sat in the bottom of my wardrobe since my last game on March 8th - I can’t see me needing it for a while yet.
On the flip side of that - I’m using my bike most days now whereas pre-lockdown it was mainly used it at the weekend only.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
People chatting to each other in the queues at various shops.

The numerous help systems that have sprung up.

Talking to your neighbours over the hedge and helping each other.

No blasted motorbikes screaming down the bypass.

Hedgehog poo in the front lawn.

Few aeroplanes over flying us.

Easy shopping in the supermarket.

A Challenge

Established Member
People using the river for water sports such as kayaking and paddleboarding - have seen it but normally only organised groups and further upstream, this was just a couple of families out for the afternoon.

High Dyke

Established Member
Appalling karaoke singing from the neighbours that live behind my house.

The noisy sprog next door playing on his computer games at all hours. He wears headphones to prevent us hearing the game action, but it doesn't prevent him from shouting about as he plays the games. The sooner he returns to school the better!

People seemingly banging pots and pans on a Thursday evening. Normally that was to signify tea was ready or you were trying to scare wildlife from your garden.

scotrail158713

Established Member
People seemingly banging pots and pans on a Thursday evening. Normally that was to signify tea was ready or you were trying to scare wildlife from your garden.
The founder of it suggested last Thursday (week 10) should be the last one so you might be rid of that one now :)

RichT54

The noisy sprog next door playing on his computer games at all hours. He wears headphones to prevent us hearing the game action, but it doesn't prevent him from shouting about as he plays the games. The sooner he returns to school the better!

Yes, we get that as well, it goes on for hours. Also, the neighbours in the adjoining house have recently got one of those Alexa type speakers which announces each track in a robotic style before playing the song very loudly. The first time I heard it, it was so loud I thought that something in my own house had somehow switched itself on.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Appalling karaoke singing from the neighbours that live behind my house.

The noisy sprog next door playing on his computer games at all hours. He wears headphones to prevent us hearing the game action, but it doesn't prevent him from shouting about as he plays the games.

You think that’s bad, we’ve actually got one in the house!
Even if I bellow upstairs to him he still doesn’t hear because he’s got his noise cancelling (ha! They’re not cancelling noise for me...) headphones on and he’s shouting at his mates online.

“Oh. What’s this? It looks like a cable going to the router. I wonder what will happen if I accidentally pull it out on purpose..?”
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.