• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA - Things you saw travelling on BR that you don't see today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Day Old Chicks in cardboard boxes, Milk Churns, Cattle Docks and cattle waggons, horse boxes on rear of "express" trains left at racecourse stations, Gas or Oil lamps, Running in Boards, Lamps Sheds, the smell of Paraffin or Jeyes Fluid, 2 or 5 ton hand worked cranes in sidings, loading gauges on the exit road or head shunt, Goods sheds and parcel offices. Oh my age is showing!

tsr

Established Member
As I type, I've just watched a relief HST blast through a station in Cornwall, and my local station still sometimes has a bloke in a fibreglass booth (as do several stations on my routes!).

Things from BR though... Definitely compartment stock. And staff (mainly) bellowing unintelligible stuff down the side of a slam door train at somewhere like London Victoria, to get people to hurry up. Opening doors before the train had stopped. Coastal trains from seemingly more places in suburbia.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Lots of overnight passenger services
Station pilots / parcels bays
Passengers managing to jump on board as the train was already moving
Summer-Saturdays-only services to every seaside town in the country
Steam heat
The only ticket you could buy from a machine was a platform ticket
Only one place to buy a cup of coffee on the station - but most people drank tea.
Empty coal wagons running back down Dunston Staithes under gravity (an 03 used to push them up)
Loco-hauled trains the length and breadth of the country.

Hornet

Clouds of steam leaking from the steam heating pipe connectors. Telegraph poles and wires linking mechanical signal boxes, (especially up the Midland Main Line). Views out of the front of a DMU. Open braziers on platforms for postal staff during winter. Being able to turn up and go on the 16:10 Euston to Glasgow on a Friday night and find a seat. Police dogs chasing Football fans over the foot bridge at Leeds Station whilst a Wast Ham fan was given a good taste of Truncheon meat for his lip. Not having the security stasi at Stations, screaming at you for daring to take a photo, (even at the height of the IRA campaign). Westerns, Warships and Hymeks.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Unified buffet branches all over the Network , much maligned , but local staff often sold extra things not on the menu. (like Shepherds pie , home made)

Masses of on train dining cars , open to all.

Newspaper trains , and bundles carried on suburban EMU stock.

The pre Xmas mail and parcels rush - with masses of special workings. Even EMU sets commandeered in the London area.

Marshalling yards with shunting taking place in most city areas , and odd greenfield sites like Severn Tunnel Junction.

A world class management training scheme , covering all functions

Area Managers

Station Managers (proper ones - with idenifiable gold braid caps - on the platforms in the peaks - not hidden away around 150 miles away in a bland office block)

Wookiee

1. Relief Trains - often these would run on inter-city routes. They would inevitably be formed of rakes of Mark I coaches with compartments and any 1st class vehicles in the rake more often than not declassified. Classic traction (such as a "roarer" on the WCML) would often be found on these services making them a magnet for enthusiasts.

I can remember going from Bournemouth to Reading on a Poole-Manchester relief train, back in the days of the Area D rover. Hauled by a Crompton!

BestWestern

Established Member
Those massive, red, push-button TVMs with a huge array of destinations and ticket options, each with a little (green or blue ISTR?) button to select it :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Carriages lit with light bulbs.
Flappety flap solari boards
Sliding ventilators
Cadburys hot chocolate machines in buffets (lovely :))
Buffet cars on the Brighton main line
Piles of ticket clippings on the floor by the platform barrier

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
As previously mentioned.

Utter filth.

Also

DMUs running with knackered exhausts.
Passengers relying on timetables when boarding a service.
Planters made of old tractor tyres in major stations.
Fences and barriers made from welded track remnants.
Direct dial telephone numbers to your local station (where staff would take over the phone ticket sales, hand deliver tickets and pick up the cheque at the same time!)
Casey Jones burgers that would take the roof of your mouth off.

But mostly.

Utter filth.

westv

Established Member
The flipperty flip sound as the departure board set out the next services to leave.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
MGR wagons

Loco stabling points and MPD's - so many have closed

Class 08s seemingly everywhere

Railway workshops - again so many have closed

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
As previously mentioned.

Utter filth.

Also

DMUs running with knackered exhausts.
Passengers relying on timetables when boarding a service.
Planters made of old tractor tyres in major stations.
Fences and barriers made from welded track remnants.
Direct dial telephone numbers to your local station (where staff would take over the phone ticket sales, hand deliver tickets and pick up the cheque at the same time!)
Casey Jones burgers that would take the roof of your mouth off.

But mostly.

Utter filth.

Standards of cleaning greatly improved from the advent of business management and especially on NSE with the advent of "Operation Sparkle" which put in proper cleaning regimes for trains and stations. Daily light clean and heavy periodic cleans. Agreed standards could vary incredibly - especially when stations had been de-staffed in the regions , but at least BR did (belatedly) get a grip on much of it. Not scoring points , but LT went through a very bad phase with stations and trains filthy , subsequently handsomely countered.

AY1975

Established Member
Think the OP means slam door stock? If with non-corridor compartments, they went in the early 80s?

There were still non-corridor compartment EPB and Class 302 EMUs around until the late '80s or early '90s, but I think someone got murdered in one so they painted a red stripe above the windows of compartment cars and latterly used them only in peak hours wherever possible.

AY1975

Established Member
Curtains or blinds in both First and Standard Class. I think the Voyagers and Pendolinos (and obviously the Sleepers) are currently the only trains to have them in SC. Southern Region main line EMUs (CIGs, CEPs, etc) had them in SC until they were refurbished in the '80s.

Tio Terry

I loved the really freshly cooked breakfasts from the restaurant car, not this airline style rubbish we get today. Also the real steak and kidney pie we used to get. I travelled a lot between Norwich and London, the S&K pies used to be prepared in the dining rooms kitchens in Norwich and delivered to the trains, great big trays of them, were really excellent - and in those days I could claim them on expenses!

Status
Not open for further replies.