• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] What is the smallest station to have a carriage shed/motive power depot or g

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
What is the smallest station in terms of passenger numbers or number of passenger train services per hour/day, to have a carriage shed/motive power depot or goods yard?

Effingham Junction has a train shed, which I believe is used to store network rail trains for track cleaning. It only has 8 passenger trains an hour passing through off peak - 4 to London and 4 to Guildford. This increases in the peak. The station never looks really busy off peak. Clearly the number of passengers has no relation to what needs to be stored there but I always go past thinking how lucky we are, from a nostalgia point of view, that this old brick building is still standing and in regular use.

There must be some stations in Scotland which have less trains but due to distance of the line require train sheds.

Are there any goods depots next to smaller stations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
I may be wrong but hows about Buxton? I was shocked years ago to go there and see the number of 37's parked up. Not any more like.

341o2

Established Member
are closed lines allowed?, if so how about Bude which had its own shed, yet only a handful of trains

Ash Bridge

Established Member
How about Machynlleth on the Cambrian Line? Or Dinting (station open, shed now closed) on the former Woodhead route, St Ives Cornwall, station open, shed now closed.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Garsdale had its own loco shed built by the NER for services on the Hawes branch. It was burn't down, possibly in the 1930's. It also of course had a turntable stockaded to protect it from the from the howling gales and a whacking great big water tower. In terms of loco facilities the Midland Railway proposed something far grander but the plans came to nothing. The water tower was also used as a civic centre for the surrounding isolated settlements.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Longsight. The station is so small it doesn't exist, though the depot does of course!

Joking aside, nearby Ardwick is busy in terms of passing trains but has only a handful of calls during the peaks. TPE's depot is next door though.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I may be wrong but hows about Buxton? I was shocked years ago to go there and see the number of 37's parked up. Not any more like.

All the locos are now maintained at Peak Forest to save on light engine movements. In addition Buxton was home to several DMU's which worked the branch. It was not unusual to see a parcels DMU in the station area at times too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are there any goods depots next to smaller stations?

Years a go most stations had freight facilities of some sort. Even Dent had a loading dock complete with crane.

fowler9

Established Member
All the locos are now maintained at Peak Forest to save on light engine movements. In addition Buxton was home to several DMU's which worked the branch. It was not unusual to see a parcels DMU in the station area at times too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Years a go most stations had freight facilities of some sort. Even Dent had a loading dock complete with crane.

Cheers mate. First time I went there, to the station at least, was just after sectorisation. I was like a pig in poop. The road between the platforms had about 3 37's in it. The depot had a load more all new to me. Loved it. It is a bit quiter now.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Cheers mate. First time I went there, to the station at least, was just after sectorisation. I was like a pig in poop. The road between the platforms had about 3 37's in it. The depot had a load more all new to me. Loved it. It is a bit quiter now.

I know it's not quite the same, but I think Sprinters still stable overnight at Buxton, either in the centre road or platform 1. The depot is still there with rails intact, but deserted:(

SeanG

Established Member
I think Ardwick with its handfull of trains per week, yet all of the 185s (and 350/4s?) allocated to the depot, is a winner

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Surely Stourbridge Junction has the smallest shed in the world ;)

The Towncar shed is small, but Chiltern have a rather larger depot at the other end of the station. There might be a shed there one day, at the moment it's just a fuelling point and stabling facility but I presume that counts on some level.

There must be loads of big places in inner cities which aren't tied to huge or busy stations. Just in Birmingham there is Tyseley depot which dwarfs the station's half hourly service across the Snow Hill lines and Soho electric depot which is equidistant from Soho and Handsworth metro stops. Nearby Bescot is a shadow of what it once was but that was never near a big station, Bescot Stadium and Tame Bridge are at either end of the yard and they are fairly quiet places in the grand scheme of things. Ditto Saltley, once the stuff of legend and it was served by Duddeston which had more staff trains stopping there unofficially than it ever got in the passenger timetable. I'm sure people in other major cities can list equivalent places where they are.

the sniper

Established Member
Ditto Saltley, once the stuff of legend and it was served by Duddeston which had more staff trains stopping there unofficially than it ever got in the passenger timetable. I'm sure people in other major cities can list equivalent places where they are.

Duddeston is still regularly used by DB staff from Saltley (usually going to/from Bescot) and Freightliner guys from Landor Street (usually heading home, back to home depots or passing to somewhere to bring one back).

apk55

Lots of rural branches would have had an engine shed on them, particularily where the line was was worked mainly by a self contained shuttle. As well as for overnighting they would be a place where the engine could be serviced during the day (fire raked out and re-coaled)

12CSVT

Established Member
Muir Of Ord had a temporary depot after the Ness Bridge was destroyed by floods in 1989, cutting off the Far North line just outside Inverness.

Status
Not open for further replies.