• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Which station has the curviest platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emyr

Wivenhoe looks about the same radius as the tightest part of Deansgate, where I've stepped over some quite cavernous gaps.

matchmaker

Established Member
Just to turn things around a bit, what stations have the curviest platforms but in a horizontal plane?

I'd nominate any station on the Glasgow subway as all (except Partick) are built on a hump, going back to the days of cable haulage.

Ken H

On Moderation
Just to turn things around a bit, what stations have the curviest platforms but in a horizontal plane?

I'd nominate any station on the Glasgow subway as all (except Partick) are built on a hump, going back to the days of cable haulage.
dont some LT platforms have the start of the down incline as they were built with saw tooth or hump profiles to help deceleration/deceleration and subsequent platform tunnel extensions have encroached onto the gradients. Think the central line is like this because of platform extensions in the 1930's to accommodate 8 car trains.

Welly

Platform 5 at Lincoln (Dogbox) Central is pretty curvy, there are check rails and the Pacers squeal like **** on the curve at the west end. That sound will be gone by 2020 (maybe!)

Skipness

Grosmont on the Esk Valley? Pacers have been known to get stuck on that tight curve!
I will second the vote for Grosmont platform 1.
The sound of loaded Pacers trying to negotiate the curve this summer in the high temperatures was a good imitation of a bacon slicer.

nowananorack

Can I suggest platform 1 at Porthmadog on the Ffestiniog line?
Trains turn through 90 degrees.
Also Tanygrisiau(FR) and Beddgelert(WHR) curve a lot.
Beddgelert also has quite a gradient 1 in 40 such that the top of a train at the bottom point is lower than the wheels at the top point

Status
Not open for further replies.