• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Which station has the curviest platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Which station has the platform with the shortest radius curve?

Guessing that an underground or light-rail station might be the tightest, which national rail surface station has this honour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Hartlepool and Newcastle both have very tight corners (iirc 150s can't call at Hartlepool because of how large the gap would be between the doors and the platform)

LowLevel

Established Member
Liverpool Lime Street platform 6 was always very spaghetti like curving both ways but has had the end lopped off so is a bit better. Platform 9 is also pretty tight - neither is that remarkable overall I guess but for a terminal it's fairly unusual.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The Far North/Kyle platforms at Inverness are on fairly tight curves.

Tunnel Bore

The highest numbered platforms at Clapham Junction (16/17?) must be in with a shout.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
How about Lewes' London platforms ?

If we're including the Underground, that one on the Northern line at Embankment (on what used to be a loop) must be a strong contender.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If we're including the Underground, that one on the Northern line at Embankment (on what used to be a loop) must be a strong contender

There must be loads on the Underground but the Central Line platforms at Bank immediately spring to mind.

Established Member
I boarded at Earlestown platform 4 on Saturday in the snow-I wasn't aware it was quite that curved!

NSE

Established Member
On the tube its definitely Bank. Though I recall on Central Line station towards the west side of London (Might be Notting Hill now I think about it) where you see it curve one way then the other.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Hartlepool and Newcastle both have very tight corners (iirc 150s can't call at Hartlepool because of how large the gap would be between the doors and the platform)

Urban myth..... 150s are permitted to stop at Hartlepool, however they aren't cleared between East Bolton and Sunderland which prevents their use on Durham Coast (950s are permitted between those points but are restricted to 40 mph)

Hornet

Of all of the 2,500+ GB Stations I've visited, only one has made me go "(choose expletive here) hell! That's tight!"

Earlestown PH2 (CHOICE) 09.08.08.jpg

The Western side platform is not as tight.

Earlestown PH3 (CHOICE) 09.08.08.jpg

Attachments

• Earlestown PH3 (CHOICE) 09.08.08.jpg
    Earlestown PH3 (CHOICE) 09.08.08.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 21

DanNCL

Established Member
Urban myth..... 150s are permitted to stop at Hartlepool, however they aren't cleared between East Bolton and Sunderland which prevents their use on Durham Coast (950s are permitted between those points but are restricted to 40 mph)
I didn't realize it was the bit shared with the Metro that's the problem (I'd read that it was Hartlepool and believed what I read); though I'd be surprised if it was clearance issues, based on the fact that the 950 goes down there (and on the metro only line to South Hylton, see this photograph (not mine) https://www.flickr.com/photos/northeast_rail_photos/26985753831/in/photostream/ )

Dougal2345

Dorchester South must be in with a chance !
My guess is that Poole is worse...

Someone could compare all these nominations on Google Maps and select a winner :D

I just did Poole, Dorchester South, West St Leonards and Carnforth (see below), and I think Carnforth probably wins....

Curves.jpg

Last edited:

Tio Terry

With Clapham Junction platform 17 it's not just the horizontal clearance, there's a considerable verticle step as well which creates a rather large gap - also, it's a very busy platform when a WLL or Southern MK train arrives with a very limited width platform. I think it's very dangerous during peak times.

Status
Not open for further replies.