• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two of the busiest lines shut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
Tens of thousands of train passengers are facing disruption to their journeys after engineering work on the West Coast Mainline continued to overrun.

Network Rail apologised for the delay to the work at Rugby, which means the line being shut between Birmingham or Coventry stations, and Northampton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7167073.stm

Liverpool Street railway station has not reopened as planned after engineering work overran.

Commuters are being urged not to use the station and tickets are being accepted on buses and the underground.

One Railway, which runs many services to the station from the eastern region, are starting and stopping at Stratford, Tottenham Hale, Seven Sisters or Hackney Downs.

The closure will affect hundreds of thousands of people, many of whom are returning to work after the Christmas and New Year break.

About 123 million people use the station every year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7167413.stm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BBC News said:
I booked my tickets well in advance to get a train back to work in London on the 2nd of Jan. This has meant having to take a day as holiday but I felt this would be necessary at the time in order to avoid the usual nightmare of having to travel back from Carlisle on the 1st of Jan. However it looks like it was a waste of a days holiday. It is all well and good that Virgin advise people to travel via alternate destinations however I have no option as I cannot afford a new ticket and apparently the other train operators will not accept the value advance ticket which I purchased, meaning I'm being punished for having bought my ticket well in advance.
Michael Wood, Carlisle, Cumbria

A planned break to London with the kids (to see a show etc) is now disrupted. On deciding to use the train I pre-booked my tickets three months ago (but was not guaranteed a seat). The journey was meant to be 1hr 40 mins but becomes a 45 min train journey, an 1 hr 30 mins bus journey followed by a 1 hr 30 mins train journey (although this is subject to delays). On applying for a refund I am told it takes up to 21 days (it only took five minutes to take the payment) and is subject to a £10 admin fee. I am now taking the car and the kids ask why?
Adrian, Lichfield, UK

This seems strange - why would Virgin be advising people to use alternative routes if their tickets aren't valid? In these circumstances, isn't it normal for the other TOCs to accept all tickets? These events are only going to put people off the railway as a whole, not just because of the problems, but also because there is nothing in place to guarentee people a decent service or a refund when things go wrong. Sadly, this is one of the fundamental problems of a privatised railway - no incentives for the TOCs to work together when things go pear shaped.

You have to feel sorry for Virgin. This kind of thing makes them look terrible, when it really isn't their fault.

Fuzzy Logic

Max: Simple answer, it isn't a planned closure. Notwork Fail's possessions were due to finish overnight last night and hence Virgin were expecting to be able to run a normal service today. It's really up to them to come to an agreement with other TOCs regarding validity over alternative routes for AP tickets. All other ticket holders will be fine (albeit suffering a longer journey)

me123

Established Member
I saw on Chiltern's website that they were accepting Virgin tiakets from Birmingham to London. There is an incentive for them. If they can show a better service then Virgin, they can steal customers from the competition.

Jord

I saw on Chiltern's website that they were accepting Virgin tiakets from Birmingham to London. There is an incentive for them. If they can show a better service then Virgin, they can steal customers from the competition.

But going on Chiltern is longer, not a good thing for commuters

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Max: Simple answer, it isn't a planned closure. Notwork Fail's possessions were due to finish overnight last night and hence Virgin were expecting to be able to run a normal service today. It's really up to them to come to an agreement with other TOCs regarding validity over alternative routes for AP tickets. All other ticket holders will be fine (albeit suffering a longer journey)

Yes, that is a simple answer, but it in no way answers what I am saying! Virgin, in fact all the TOCs, should have back-up plans in case this kind of thing happens. It's all very well moaning about Network Rail, but we all know how unreliable subcontractors can be, and Virgin in particular should know that things don't always go to plan. These plans should already be drawn out in case something goes wrong, then there wouldn't be these huge problems!

Fuzzy Logic

Ah, i see where you're coming from Max! If only back up plans like that were part of the original franchise agreement. There isn't much incentive for the companies otherwise. For example, in this situation, to the general member of the public Virgin can explain that NR are entirely to blame, and as such lose little credit. If they were to come up with contingency plans for every set of engineering works (eg. organising shuttle buses / actually conversing with other TOCs) requires effort that they obviously deem not to be worthile. Doesn't mean it's right though of course...

Metroland

Established Member
Yes, that is a simple answer, but it in no way answers what I am saying! Virgin, in fact all the TOCs, should have back-up plans in case this kind of thing happens. It's all very well moaning about Network Rail, but we all know how unreliable subcontractors can be, and Virgin in particular should know that things don't always go to plan. These plans should already be drawn out in case something goes wrong, then there wouldn't be these huge problems!

I think they do have contingency plans, of sorts. Fact is no contingency plan is going to be 100% satisfactory. They were saying there was a coach running very 5 minutes from Birmingham to Northampton, but that only amounts to one Pendolino per hour on a line that normally sees 2 plus many commuter trains as well as freight. Then there's the stuff coming from the Trent valley on top of that. So they probably have 80-100 coaches doing shuttles, perhaps there is no more spare?

In some cases you can use alternative train routes, and I suspect much of the freight will be going via Banbury. But clearly with passengers having to use alternative TOCs and coaches adding 2 hours to a journey that is a lot less that that in the first place is not ideal.

We don't know what has happened at Rugby, but I suspect things can just go wrong, like they do with any large engineering job. Though I grant you perhaps there is a case for getting some of the lines back in order, even if it's under handsignalling arrangements. It's just impossible to say from our armchair position.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It seems that East Midlands Trains are accepting Value Advance, so passengers from Manchester could get to London (ableit with very extended journey times!).

Obviously it's never going to be an ideal situation, but I have a feeling people would rather be on a train of some sort than a coach.

richa2002

Established Member
Why aren't trains running from Manchester to St. Pancras at least?! It's madness to be honest. The railway deserves the bad publicity.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like Rugby will be shut for another day and not re-open until Friday or maybe even Monday

Why aren't trains running from Manchester to St. Pancras at least?! It's madness to be honest. The railway deserves the bad publicity.

With what stock?

AlexS

Established Member
Don't believe Pendolinos are passed to be dragged from Manchester to St Pancras :)

A bit much to ask that the passengers on the Midland Mainline have their services screwed up by diverting their trains to Manchester also!

Gizmogle

Established Member
But going on Chiltern is longer, not a good thing for commuters
Certainly quicker than buses.

This is affecting me too, as I would be taking the WCML home tomorrow.

Although to be fair, people could just take the buses rather than trying to find other routes. I'm imagining buses will be quite full though...

They could take Chiltern or Midland Mainline quite easily anyway. Or even if all else fails, take the ECML and change at York or somewhere.

class 313

Established Member
Don't believe Pendolinos are passed to be dragged from Manchester to St Pancras :)

A bit much to ask that the passengers on the Midland Mainline have their services screwed up by diverting their trains to Manchester also!

Two Drags an hour if that wouldn't really screw up the MML. The problem is for FCC. North of Bedford there are slots. South of Bedford, not the same story.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well Voyagers ran into Paddington when they were new before Paddington was removed from the CrossCountry network

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Voyagers must be passed for the Hope Valley and Midland Mainline since 222s are - I'm guessing route knowledge would be the main problem though.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
But VWC don't have enough Voyagers, surely?

If they put spare Pendolinos on the Birmingham to Scotland services
(presumably less are needed at the moment) which would have freed up a few Voyagers

Established Member
Well, I'm now going M1/M6 back to brum, already delayed my return until today hoping it would reopen...

Some diversions should be in effect, I dread to think what overcrowding has occured on Chiltern as a result of this shambles. Whats so hard about 2tph Euston-Bletchley-Bedford-Wigston curve-Nuneaton for Lpl/Man/Glasgow? Not as though the ronnies are overused and sure route conductors could be found if anyone actually wanted to make an effort.

Metroland

Established Member
Finding spare crews with route knowledge for a start, positioning stock, creating a timetable at short notice, pathing problems. Now if only the Great Central was still open...

T

Tom

Enclosed are the CrossCountry Voyager diagrams for SX...

XC4xx are 220s, XC5xx are 221s. Should give a rough idea how many Voyagers are free on the XC side...

Attachments

• voyager.pdf
    53.6 KB · Views: 11

djw1981

Established Member
But they are already stepping pendo's up. My journey BNS-GLC last Thursday was a pendo when it should (according to VWC's timetable) have been a Voyager.

djw1981

Established Member
What Stock is operating to Northamptoon from EUS, because surely Pendo's have to go to Longsight every X days?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What Stock is operating to Northamptoon from EUS, because surely Pendo's have to go to Longsight every X days?

Pendolinos. There is a depot at Wembley.

Status
Not open for further replies.