• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK General Election 2024

brad465

Established Member
I believe there is a certain metaphor about organising brewery gatherings that Sunak has on day one of the campaign managed to literally demonstrate:

Rishi Sunak taking a brave approach to small talk at a brewery in Wales. He asked workers if they're looking forward to 'all the football'. One quickly pointed out that Wales haven't qualified for the Euros.

GOQtdFRW4AA0uIS

(Image of Sunak talking to people in a brewery in Wales)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
That level of arrogance won't sit well with some of his own party or voters. Never mind others who either have access to grind or simply want a fair chance for their own parties or candidates

What level of arrogance?

Gloster

Established Member
Some call it arrogance…others call it confidence. Inspiring confidence in your troops is one of the most basic talents required for leadership.

Howardh

Established Member
I believe there is a certain metaphor about organising brewery gatherings that Sunak has on day one of the campaign managed to literally demonstrate:

I've also read that at a biscuit factory he's been taking questions from one of the "workers" in a hi-viz jacket who...turns out to be a Tory councillor!

Faking it, Sunak style. Patsy questions from Tory councillors posing as workers in hi-vis jackets “Rishi Sunak Takes Staged Election Questions from Conservative Councillors Posing as Ordinary Voters.”

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Labour still need a swing of something like 12 percentage points just to get a majority of 1.
Have you been paying attention to the polls and just how completely screwed the Tories are?

Starmer's prouncing around like he's already won.
And Sunak's government has been communicating over the last two years like it's been in opposition.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Fermanagh and South Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew will not be standing again in the general election.

One already not standing, surprisingly not Tory but Sinn Fein.

Reform UK leader Richard Tice is standing as the party’s candidate in Boston and Skegness.

Makes sense, a high percentage voted Leave in 2016 meaning Tice is hoping to woo over some right wing voters who are now politically homeless and won't vote Tory.
NEW: Rishi Sunak says flights to Rwanda are guaranteed if he wins the general election

Sunak appears to be getting desperate.

sprunt

Established Member
Watching Sunak having to tour the country talking to the plebs is going to be amazing.

jfollows

Established Member
Watching Sunak having to tour the country talking to the plebs is going to be amazing.
Asking the Welsh audience if they’re looking forward to the football (apparently Wales isn’t in the Euros, whatever they might be …. I’d be a good Sunak-substitute I guess ……)

nw1

Established Member
Didn't many 'red constituencies have significant swings to Tories previously in the north of England? That suggests they could swing back again to their historic roots, a Labour MP.

Yes, and all down to a certain Mr A. B. de Pfeffel Johnson, not a participant in the upcoming election.

I do know that a lot of those Tory gains were with very small majorities - a good few under 1000. So the Tories' majority is perhaps not as robust as it looks.

A few examples: Bury North, Tory maj 105. Bury South, Tory maj 439 (MP subsequently defected to Labour). High Peak, Tory maj 590.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
After 9 years as the Member of Parliament for Bexhill and Battle, I have made the decision not to stand as a candidate at the next election. This means I will also leave my job as Rail Minister on 4 July.

I have loved being an MP and I leave with a heavy heart. The constituency is a beautiful place, with wonderful people in every town and village. I’ve been lucky enough to work across the community, and political divide, with some fantastic people. I’ve also been fortunate to have had the best constituency staff, and Association, an MP could ask for.

Transport has been my passion throughout my time in Parliament. I am grateful to have served for seven years on the Transport Select Committee, with almost three as Chair. I’ve loved my time as Rail Minister and am grateful to the Prime Minister for trusting me with this important portfolio. He will always have my full support. In each of these roles, I’ve seen the best of our amazing transport industry and community; from private and public sector, Ministerial colleagues, and the civil service.

I wish my successor well in their role as Member of Parliament. To both the next MP for Bexhill and Battle and to a future Rail Minister: if these roles bring even half the amount of happiness as they have brought me, then it will make you very proud.

Thank you to all of the amazing people I have met on my journey. I will miss everything but, as I sit in the political departure lounge, I am looking forward to a new journey (whatever that might be).

Very, very interesting. I'm sure many members of this Forum will be glad to see this. Also damning for Sunak to lose another Cabinet Minister.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Apparently doing the announcement outside No 10 allows him to be partisan, while inside No 10 he is more constrained in what he can say.

Can't see that making much difference. In a speech like this, no matter what he actually says, what pretty much everyone is going to hear and take note of is "Blah blah blah. Election on July 4th. Blah blah blah."

Silver Cobra

Interesting to see that my hometown is moving from the Mid Bedfordshire constituency to the newly-reformed Hitchin constituency for this general election. While the list of candidates hasn't been officially confirmed yet (not due until 7th June), indications are that the recently-elected MP for Mid Bedfordshire, Alistair Strathern, will be the Labour candidate for Hitchin rather than aiming to retain his current seat. As such, Mid Bedfordshire will be getting a new MP, no matter who is elected.

While I've voted for the Tories in the past, I just cannot bring myself to vote for them this time. If Alistair Strathern does stand as a candidate for Hitchin, I'll likely vote for him.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Didn't many 'red constituencies have significant swings to Tories previously in the north of England? That suggests they could swing back again to their historic roots, a Labour MP.
Yes, and all down to a certain Mr A. B. de Pfeffel Johnson, not a participant in the upcoming election.
At least as much down to a certain Mr J Corbyn, not a participant in anywhere relevant to the north of England.

Gloster

Established Member
Interesting to see that my hometown is moving from the Mid Bedfordshire constituency to the newly-reformed Hitchin constituency for this general election. While the list of candidates hasn't been officially confirmed yet (not due until 7th June), indications are that the recently-elected MP for Mid Bedfordshire, Alistair Strathern, will be the Labour candidate for Hitchin rather than aiming to retain his current seat. As such, Mid Bedfordshire will be getting a new MP, no matter who is elected.

While I've voted for the Tories in the past, I just cannot bring myself to vote for them this time. If Alistair Strathern does stand as a candidate for Hitchin, I'll likely vote for him.

I believe (well, I have read in Wikipedia) that his home is in Shefford, which is being moved from the Mid-Bedfordshire constituency to the Hitchin one.

Enthusiast

Established Member
I don't know why any of them feel the need to do that. There are plenty of media opportunities for them to spout their drivel without getting in the way of folk going about their business. I can't imagine anybody being swayed by them making a speech in the local biscuit factory. Quite honestly, if anybody does not know by now which way they are going to vote they shouldn't really be on the electoral roll,

SteveM70

Established Member
I don't know why any of them feel the need to do that. There are plenty of media opportunities for them to spout their drivel without getting in the way of folk going about their business. I can't imagine anybody being swayed by them making a speech in the local biscuit factory. Quite honestly, if anybody does not know by now which way they are going to vote they shouldn't really be on the electoral roll,

Indeed, but he had three options:

1 - don't go to the biscuit factory

2 - go to the biscuit factory and take questions from the workforce

3 - go to the biscuit factory, get two Tory councillors from outside the area into the audience dressed as workers, and let them ask the first and third questions

One of those options is a whole load worse than either of the other two.

Are they so deluded they think stuff like this won't be discovered, or so stupid / arrogant that they dont care if it is?

Purple Train

Established Member

I do know that a lot of those Tory gains were with very small majorities - a good few under 1000. So the Tories' majority is perhaps not as robust as it looks.

A few examples: Bury North, Tory maj 105. Bury South, Tory maj 439 (MP subsequently defected to Labour). High Peak, Tory maj 590.
High Peak's interesting, though. With the exception of 2017, it's been a bellwether for the last 45 years, so not really part of the "Red Wall". That being said, certain areas of the Red Wall had comparatively slim majorities in 2017 and a large swing in 2019. Much as I'm hoping Labour will be able to overturn those (Bassetlaw, Bishop Auckland, and Bolsover, for instance), their campaign doesn't exactly strike me as one that is likely to win them back convincingly.

I know I'm pessimistic, but I don't want to count my chickens just yet - the swing required even for a wafer-thin overall majority needs to be at 1997 levels.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
This is exactly my sentiment. I live in the USA so can’t vote anyway, but I could not bring myself to vote Conservative if I was back in the UK - they just do not deserve it.

JamesT

Established Member
This is exactly my sentiment. I live in theUSA so can’t vote anyway, but I could not bring myself to vote Conservative if I was back in the UK - they just do not deserve it.
Assuming you're still a British Citizen, you can. The 15 year limit was removed earlier this year - https://www.electoralcommission.org...d-more-brits-overseas-can-now-register-vote-0
People that have previously lived in or been registered to vote in the UK now have the right to vote in UK parliament elections. They can register online at gov.uk/registertovote and will need to confirm their personal information every three years. Under electoral law, those on an electoral register are also permitted to donate to political parties and campaigners.

BrianW

Established Member
Indeed, but he had three options:

1 - don't go to the biscuit factory

2 - go to the biscuit factory and take questions from the workforce

3 - go to the biscuit factory, get two Tory councillors from outside the area into the audience dressed as workers, and let them ask the first and third questions

One of those options is a whole load worse than either of the other two.

Are they so deluded they think stuff like this won't be discovered, or so stupid / arrogant that they dont care if it is?
It takes the biscuit.
Here are some of my thoughts on why he called a July election:-
  • Many students will have finished and gone back home, but he registered vote in a different city - this might catch these students out and it will hurt the labour vote
  • I don't think any flights to Ruanda will be happening soon, and the longer the flights don't happen the more the client media will start asking questions. If Labour get in power in July they can blame the failure and money wasted on the scheme on Labour.
  • The cost of living will only get worse the more we head into winter (e.g energy bills etc)
  • The Brexit checks, people might start to notice a lack of fresh produce in the supermarkets as they are being held up for checks in Kent.
  • The introduction of EES in October, I can vision scenes of chaos in October half term as the system is introduced. Again get out now and blame Labour.
  • Better feel good factor in the summer, people might forget the doom and gloom of the past 14 years if they head out voting on a hot sunny day.
  • It would be harder to get Tory canvassers out in the deep of winter considering they tend to be older members of society.

I wish I could feel very positive, but I know the gap will close :(
I believe this hits the mark. Callaghan and Brown left it too late. Macmillan spoke of 'Events, dear boy'.
No flights to take off for Rwanda before the election.
No more MPs able to 'cross the floor'.
Current MPs able to 'stand down' with 'dignity'- i.e little to no adverse press coverage
Fewer opportunities for adverse economic statistics, projections etc
Grenfell Inquiry now 'announced' to report September- after General Election
Less to explain re Covid 'mis-steps'
Less impact of climate change, inadequate investment in water, sewers etc
Blood and Post Office compensation schemes 'announced' and not implemented
Labour to 'pick up the tab'
Rest day in the men's football Euros- England/ Scotland still in/out?
British players still in Wimbledon?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Was it me, or was much of the mainstream TV coverage last night, essentially political correspondents interviewing each other, interspersed (padded out) with extensive pre-recorded clipshow-style footage?

Energy

Established Member
The blank expressions on their faces say it all
Indeed, quite incredible to have everyone in the image looking so miserable.

Very, very interesting. I'm sure many members of this Forum will be glad to see this. Also damning for Sunak to lose another Cabinet Minister.
Huw Merriman has a genuine interest in the railways, it's a shame he will go. Though given the current state of the party, its reassuring that he isn't happy standing with it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Like any party leader before an election he has to talk about what they'll do when they win. It's all about projecting an image of a confident, competent party that's ready to get to work from day one.
That is absolutely the opposite to what he will do, if for no other reason than remembering the 1992 election when Neil Kinnock got too triumphantly cocky in Sheffield prior to the event, which Starmer is old enough to remember. He'll continue to be ever so respectful to the electorate and only say if. The LibDems' poor showing in the last election was no doubt in part due to their leader (Jo Swinson, in case anyone's understandably forgotten) spouting grandiose rubbish about all the seats they'd gain.

SteveM70

Established Member
Question Time this evening, and again a Tory bias on the panel (one MP each Tory / Lib Dem / Labour, plus Tim Montgomerie who's a Tory).

Mark Spencer (minister at DEFRA) has drawn the short straw