• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Stations no longer served by InterCity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Northampton "gained" a load of VT services in 2004 both north and south, but since the new timetables it's back down to one in the early morning and one very late at night.

It only had 1tpd to / from Manchester and 2/3tpd (in the early morning / late evening) to / from Birmingham.

Orange Box

That's a gain from not having any at all. :D

But it was the expense of being able to get anywhere north without going via Birmingham as all the Rugby stops were removed from anything going down the Trent, so it really wasn't an improvement at all.

imagination

Because I feel like being a pedant, Newquay. The summer service stopped 15 days ago, thus it no longer has intercity services.

ess

A common misconception. There are towns with Anglican Cathedrals (Blackburn, Guildford, Chelmsford, Bury St Edmunds, Rochester) just as there are cities without Anglican Cathedrals (Bath, Nottingham, Cambridge, Leeds, Southampton)

City status is no longer linked to having a Cathedral, and hasn't been for over 120 years.

Hmmm... what's this then?
http://www.dioceseofleeds.org.uk/cathedral/

rail-britain

Established Member
Stranraer, Ayr

Mid 80's the up Royal Scot used to start from Ayr so to add to the list I will suggest, Ayr (as noted by Driver 9000 in post #3), Prestwick, Troon, Irvine, Kilwinning, Johnstone and Paisley Gilmour Street.

Coatbridge Central, Cumbernauld,
I think the 'Clansman' (Inverness - Euston daytime service under B R) called at Springburn in the mid-1980s

The Highland Chieftain used to stop at Larbet back in the day, and Dunblane too (though I can't remember for certain on this one)

Queen Street- unless you count the Inverness and Aberdeen services? They were never "InterCity" brand though. It had a brief period of being served by HSTs that caused joyous operational problems by overhanging into the tunnel

Troon. Didn't the southbound Royal Scot stop there in the 80's that started at Ayr?
Also I remember Carstairs was a hive of activity before they electrified into Edinburgh. Trains would divide into portions coming from the south, and combine from Glasgow and Edinburgh
First to go were the local stops on the Inverness - Kings Cross HST and the Inverness - Euston were matched with the same stopping pattern, the following year the Glasgow / Edinburgh - Inverness were also matched

The Clansman (via Mossend) was short lived but it was not routed via Springburn
However, there was a Saturday only service via Glasgow QS which required a reversal top and tail Class 47, which was then detached at Springburn (as this was easier than Eastfield)

Glasgow QS was served daily by HSTs for many years, from at least 1984 to 1989, perhaps you didn't observe them at the right time?
InterCity continued to serve Glasgow QS every day (morning southbound HST and evening northbound HST) until 1989 when the Class 91 locos started to serve Glasgow Central
One Saturday only southbound Cross Country HST continued to serve Glasgow QS the following year, the year after it was also routed via Glasgow Central

This was then followed by the end of the Stranraer - Euston, which was replaced by a revised Glasgow - Carlisle service (as the Sprinters were late on introduction)
It was a bit of an oversight, as there was no direct Carlisle - Stranraer service, so passengers had to travel via Glasgow Central
It wasn't until the following year that the Newcastle - Stranraer service was introduced

The up Royal Scot was extended to Ayr, running ECS to Ayr
For a short period the down Royal Scot was also extended as a Saturday Only service to Ayr, running ECS back to Glasgow but due to poor loadings it was often cancelled for any reason

There were then the Sunday InterCity Glasgow Central services routed via Kilmarnock rather than the traditional Carstairs route
That saw the end of these stations being served between Kilmarnock and Carlisle

Although a large number of InterCity services served Carstairs, this really ended when joining/splitting was no longer required after electrification between Carstairs and Edinburgh
The Edinburgh services no longer had to be routed via Carstairs and some Glasgow services continued to serve Carstairs, but from memory this ended in 1995 by which time just one such service called in each direction

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Because I feel like being a pedant, Newquay. The summer service stopped 15 days ago, thus it no longer has intercity services.

Newquay still gets summer trains to Manchester and the North East, as well as a few Paddington HSTs IIRC.

phil8715

Has Blackburn ever been served by InterCity services other than diversions over the S&C?

Didn't the Rose Grove-Paignton stop there on summer Saturdays?

That along with the S&C drags Blackburn never had an Inter City Service.

Although wasn't didn't the York-Blackpool have loco hauled trains between the phasing out of the DMU's and 155/158 units?

As they are Class 1 trains?

bILLOO

But it was the expense of being able to get anywhere north without going via Birmingham as all the Rugby stops were removed from anything going down the Trent, so it really wasn't an improvement at all.

Ah, really? I didn't know that. Seems like this is still the case today. :(

50010 Monarch

Newquay still gets summer trains to Manchester and the North East, as well as a few Paddington HSTs IIRC.

Quite correct, but what the poster means is that as the 2011 summer timetable has now ceased Newquay is without Inter-City services (only until the start of the 2012 summer timetable though....)

Schnellzug

Established Member
And then do we consider they resume their Intercity status when Central Trains was broken up?

I think as a rule of thumb, if it's run by CrossCountry, then it's intercity. Turbostars do qualify as intercity, if they run inter-city services; they were and I think still are used on Liv St-Gt Yarmouth, aren't they, and as mentioned, were originally used on kX-Hull and St P-Nottingham/Derby, which is surely intercity, even if they were semifasts.

infobleep

Veteran Member
What about express services before Inter City trains? For example some fast trains use to stop at Ferry Hill once a upon a time I believe. This was pre inter city days though.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I think as a rule of thumb, if it's run by CrossCountry, then it's intercity. Turbostars do qualify as intercity, if they run inter-city services; they were and I think still are used on Liv St-Gt Yarmouth, aren't they, and as mentioned, were originally used on kX-Hull and St P-Nottingham/Derby, which is surely intercity, even if they were semifasts.

I was just pointing out the odd situation of Birmingham-Cardiff changing by some peoples description purely as the operator went fron XC to CT and back to XC!

Eagle

Established Member
I was just pointing out the odd situation of Birmingham-Cardiff changing by some peoples description purely as the operator went fron XC to CT and back to XC!

That's not quite what happened. Birmingham–Cardiff via Chepstow was Regional Railways, later shared between Central and Wales & West (and latterly Central only), and Birmingham–Cardiff via Bristol was InterCity run by Virgin XC (originally Birmingham–Swansea but got cut back to one return trip to Cardiff around 2003). Now both routes have coincidentally come under the auspices of Arriva XC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For reference, this is the InterCity network right before privatization.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
That's not quite what happened. Birmingham–Cardiff via Chepstow was Regional Railways, later shared between Central and Wales & West (and latterly Central only), and Birmingham–Cardiff via Bristol was InterCity run by Virgin XC (originally Birmingham–Swansea but got cut back to one return trip to Cardiff around 2003). Now both routes have coincidentally come under the auspices of Arriva XC.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For reference, this is the InterCity network right before privatization.

I wouldn't profess to know! I was just commenting on this!

Would you say that, when Central Trains took over the Birmingham-Cardiff services from VXC, they remained Intercity services? even when a 150 was running them?

I agree to an extent that it depends on your definition of intercity services, but to my mind, if it is run by a company that was part of Regional Railways, it's not an intercity service.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I understand that this was a Diversion, but Winter of around 2003-2004, the VT Timetable showed an extra stop at Blackburn on a Saturday heading south. Wondering if anyone knows anything about this..?

Yep, I can remember seeing Glasgow Central and Plymouth on the departure boards there. AFAIK trains also served Darwen on certain days too!

Whistler40145

Established Member
AFAIK those trains routed via Manchester Piccadilly & Bolton would have stopped @ Darwen, but would have done so to eliminate a run round @ Preston.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
AFAIK those trains routed via Manchester Piccadilly & Bolton would have stopped @ Darwen, but would have done so to eliminate a run round @ Preston.

There'd have been no need for the run round at Preston, they could just use the connection between Farrington Jn and Lostock Hall Jn...

phil8715

I remember, I think the Southbound Royal Scot going via Farrington Curve Junction. Didn't they do the loco change on the main line?

Sent from my X10mini using Tapatalk

Smethwickian

If you're counting single oddities like summer Saturday-only loco-hauled trains, then didn't Walsall, until the mid-1980s, have such a service to/from Great Yarmouth?

50010 Monarch

If you're counting single oddities like summer Saturday-only loco-hauled trains, then didn't Walsall, until the mid-1980s, have such a service to/from Great Yarmouth?

Indeed there was such a working.

The amount of summer saturday loco hauled workings all over the network in the 70's/early 80's was unbelievable when you look back.

I always thought Stranraer to Blackpool was a real 'oddball' service.

scotsman

Established Member
Kinghorn, Burntisland, Aberdour, North Queensferry and Dalmeny used to get a call on a morning XC HST to Penzance a long, long time ago

Status
Not open for further replies.