• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Untold truths-Great Train Robbery

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.satchwell

Well, with your help, the book is now being printed and will be available form 1st October. Why has no one garnered all the terrific information available from railwaymen before?
It doesn't even seem to have been done in 1963? If you were one of the many who helped me with this book, then please keep your secrets until after it is published.
By the way, Ch.4 TV will be showing a documentary on the 12th August. They have chosen to suggest that the research was theirs! What a joke. You will be pleased to know that
their documentary, which is interesting, only exposes about 5% of what the book does. And I promise you this, there are several POWERFUL revelations. The book has been read in
confidence by 3 trusted writers, and they clearly found it enjoyable and revelatory. Of course several of you who gave me valuable help are named within its pages. Again a big thank you.

Published by The History Press, available from High Street bookshops and on Amazon and elsewhere for £9.99
.9780750992329.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
Wonderful! I’m looking forward to reading a comprehensive account from someone railway literate. There are so many questions; I’ve always felt there must have been a great deal of input from an operational railwayman during the planning of the robbery.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Congratulations to Graham Satchwell on spotting this opportunity and getting down to it. I hope it receives due recognition (assuming it's as good as he makes it out to be).

Wonderful! I’m looking forward to reading a comprehensive account from someone railway literate. There are so many questions; I’ve always felt there must have been a great deal of input from an operational railwayman during the planning of the robbery.

Indeed. Did they never nail anyone?

Taunton

Established Member
I see the cover photo has the line with OHLE. Was this installed at the time of the incident? It was commissioned in April 1965 I believe.

AntoniC

Well, with your help, the book is now being printed and will be available form 1st October. Why has no one garnered all the terrific information available from railwaymen before?
It doesn't even seem to have been done in 1963? If you were one of the many who helped me with this book, then please keep your secrets until after it is published.
By the way, Ch.4 TV will be showing a documentary on the 12th August. They have chosen to suggest that the research was theirs! What a joke. You will be pleased to know that
their documentary, which is interesting, only exposes about 5% of what the book does. And I promise you this, there are several POWERFUL revelations. The book has been read in
confidence by 3 trusted writers, and they clearly found it enjoyable and revelatory. Of course several of you who gave me valuable help are named within its pages. Again a big thank you.

Published by The History Press, available from High Street bookshops and on Amazon and elsewhere for £9.99
.View attachment 66674
I liked your other book so I will be ordering this one as well !.

AndrewE

Established Member
Reminder: TV programme coming up shortly... 2100 on channel 4 - and it clashes with a programme about the Genoa bridge collapse on BBC2!

Rail Ranger

Watched the TV programme with interest. Amazing that the guard of the Irish Mail involved in the earlier attempted robbery at Hemel Hempstead in 1963 was still around to be interviewed for the programme. Also fascinating about the gang member from the Great Train Robbery who got away with it.

g.satchwell

I see the cover photo has the line with OHLE. Was this installed at the time of the incident? It was commissioned in April 1965 I believe.
Hi Taunton, I'm tempted to say, No, you have the date wrong' Really I am. But in truth I don't know if you are right or not, I rather suspect you are! Simply because I take you to be much better informed OHLE than I could ever be. However,
the CONTENTS OF THE BOOK ARE ANOTHER MATTER

g.satchwell

Watched the TV programme with interest. Amazing that the guard of the Irish Mail involved in the earlier attempted robbery at Hemel Hempstead in 1963 was still around to be interviewed for the programme. Also fascinating about the gang member from the Great Train Robbery who got away with it.
Yes, it was Tom Wisbey that gave me the name of Danny Pembroke. He also gave me a lot more....

AndrewE

Established Member
Thanks Andrew, which did you choose?
Actually we watched the Genoa bridge programme, but only because there were no adverts to allow us to shorten the viewing time on that one. I'm about to watch the recorded Train Robbery programme (which also means that I have it saved so that I can re-view any bits that I want, besides skipping through the adverts!)
A friend was most impressed by the programme, I told him in that case he should read the book!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Many people looking forward to reading the book .....(ahem ........)

Graham - do you plan a book signing - say at the Ian Allan in Waterloo ?

g.satchwell

Actually we watched the Genoa bridge programme, but only because there were no adverts to allow us to shorten the viewing time on that one. I'm about to watch the recorded Train Robbery programme (which also means that I have it saved so that I can re-view any bits that I want, besides skipping through the adverts!)
A friend was most impressed by the programme, I told him in that case he should read the book!
Great advice!!!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I most certainly would do if you think we could raise enough interest. What do you think?

Well worth consideration I would think - was it not the location of one of the robber's flower stall ! ? - would only cost you a couple of hours of your time. Get some media interest perhaps.

Western Lord

Period newsreel footage of the robbery scene shows that all the masts were in place, not sure if all the wiring was up.

g.satchwell

Well worth consideration I would think - was it not the location of one of the robber's flower stall ! ? - would only cost you a couple of hours of your time. Get some media interest perhaps.
It was Buster Edwards who had a flower stall, though 'flowers' seem to have been a theme - Roger Cordrey had a flower shop in Brighton and Tom Wisbey a stall (later) in Covent Garden. If only the robbers had had such perfumed lives!

furnessvale

Established Member
It was Buster Edwards who had a flower stall, though 'flowers' seem to have been a theme - Roger Cordrey had a flower shop in Brighton and Tom Wisbey a stall (later) in Covent Garden. If only the robbers had had such perfumed lives!
I believe the flower stall at Ilford station was also a "reserved" occupation.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I believe the flower stall at Ilford station was also a "reserved" occupation.

Flower stalls outside U-Bahn stations in Berlin , invariably were covers for the sale of untaxed , smuggled cigarettes. Or other items. An eastern European business I am told.

Status
Not open for further replies.