• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unwelcome Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I think we should organise a meet at Berney Arms, so Rail-UK could have the claim to fame of possibly the largest numbers of people using the station on the day! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As for unwelcome stations, I'd add Byfleet and New Haw, one from my TOC!

Ok it's not in the middle of nowhere, but the shelter is pretty damning and the subway, stairs and the station itself is very grotty! Have a look at a picture of its TVM on NRE!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I think we should organise a meet at Berney Arms, so Rail-UK could have the claim to fame of possibly the largest numbers of people using the station on the day!
!

Meet at Berney Arms then once on the train all buy a single to Shippea Hill or Lakenheath.

Rich_D3167

The station isn't the nicest of stations, admittedly, but there's plenty of amenities nearby, at least, with it being very near the town centre, so if you got stuck there, it's not the end of the world. The same applies to Gainsborough Central. Kriton Lindsey, however, is a bit out of the way (on the edge of the village at the bottom of a hill), but nothing too serious.

Gathursty

Established Member
After using the Cumbrian Coast Line today in snowy conditions, I'll nominate Drigg and Green Road as quite unwelcome stations. Brrrrr!!!

pitdiver

I think we should organise a meet at Berney Arms, so Rail-UK could have the claim to fame of possibly the largest numbers of people using the station on the day! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As for unwelcome stations, I'd add Byfleet and New Haw, one from my TOC!

Ok it's not in the middle of nowhere, but the shelter is pretty damning and the subway, stairs and the station itself is very grotty! Have a look at a picture of its TVM on NRE!

I am all for meeting at BA just let us know and we will be there. SWMBO says she will come as well as she thinks it is such a "pretty" station
Names Below Please

1 Pitdiver
2 Mrs Pitdiver

VTPreston_Tez

I am all for meeting at BA just let us know and we will be there. SWMBO says she will come as well as she thinks it is such a "pretty" station
Names Below Please

1 Pitdiver
2 Mrs Pitdiver

There's a forum you can go to to organize a BA meeting.

swcovas

I was wondering what is least welcoming station members would like to be stranded at. Mine is Berney Arms.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it but Sugar Loaf on the Central wales line would be a pretty bleak place to be stranded on a winter's night after the last train has gone. Surrounded by mountains and a 3 mile walk to civilization at Llanwrtyd, although once there you will find some good pubs.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The trouble is if the Hampton Court get turned around at Surbiton you could have a wait on your hands. Sometimes they do get the new line trains to call additionally.

But let say I found it quicker to get the bus back to Surbiton.

Oh it has a *bus* service as well? Not so desolate...

trc666

Hampton Wick gets my vote - 13 year olds smoking weed, kicking footballs around the station and spitting at trains as they pass, aiming for the cab windows where possible, and this is just during the day!

wintonian

Established Member
Well I was going to suggest Norton Bridge but as I have been beaten to it I'll say Beaulieu Road or prehaps here during the winter months (or one of the other stations on the line):

Snowdon_Mountain_Railway_summit_station_sign.jpg

Altnabreac looks just about the worst to be honest! Stranded with only a massive forest and possible scotch oats fed highland yeti for company!

I love this bit on wikipedia in regards to the station:

"One of Britain's most isolated stations, it is a request stop used almost solely by walkers and those who enjoy visiting obscure locations".

Erm.........who are these people? I would certainly not wish to meet one! :)

londonmidland

Established Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier but I definitely wouldn't like to stay at Ardwick Station. Even though you've got the busy lines out of Manchester Piccadilly, it only gets 5tpd.

Fare-Cop

You have obviously never attended the Mildenhall Air Show or seen the number of US service personnel who use it to get to base, admittedly there's a lot fewer of them these days.

That huge old pub right next to the station used to be absolutely rammed on days when events were on at Mildenhall though I haven't been there for over 20 years now

pitdiver

As the OP of this thread I think it has run it's course. In my opinion for what it's worth I still think Berney Arms is a strong contender in England along with Altnabreac in Scotland. As for Wales perhaps Sugar Loaf is the strongest candidate

So shall we say there are a number of stations in Great Britain that one or more of us think are pretty unwelcoming . We all have a "favourite". So can all agree to perhaps disagree on this subjoect

PR1Berske

Established Member
Stonebridge Park and Maryland

Stonebridge Park is delightful isn't it? I stayed in a nearby hotel (another lovely place) earlier this year. I went to a gig in Brixton (I know how to pick my spots) and the almost last Tube home from there was an education :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.