• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using a PRIV for an indirect Journey to Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
If you travel from home and your eventual destination is work are you allowed to buy a PRIV for all or part of the journey?

For example - if you travel from home to a dentist's appointment and then on from the dentist's appointment to work are you allowed to buy a PRIV for any, all or none of the journies made ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaggy

AFAIK, Priv is for leisure use only. This is unless one has bought a Priv season ticket.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I always did used to wonder what counts as "leisure" when it comes to Priv travel.

What if, for example, I am staying away for a long weekend but go straight to work on the Tuesday morning, rather than going home on Monday night and then to work the next day? Also, how about if after work I'm going to see a friend before going home later that evening?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
AFAIK, Priv is for leisure use only. This is unless one has bought a Priv season ticket.
I fear that you may have missed the point that the OP is making; sounds like he is asking what actually qualifies as "leisure use."

Thewanderer

Established Member
How would the Guard know if you were travelling for work or leisure? I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
How would the Guard know if you were travelling for work or leisure?

It is not the guard you have to worry about as most of us do not work the same train day in day out so are unlikely to work out your regular commuting pattern.

It is the fact that there will be a regular pattern of purchasing priv tickets at the booking offices concerned. Depending on the staff concerned this may be reported to management and an investigation started.

This can and does happen - I know colleagues whose spouses have been reported for misuse of privilege travel - not a nice position to be in. :oops:

LowLevel

Established Member
I also know of one who was met by a company manager at the gate line one morning and it didn't go well for her.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member

It is the fact that there will be a regular pattern of purchasing priv tickets at the booking offices concerned. Depending on the staff concerned this may be reported to management and an investigation started.

:

Unless a persons PT number was entered with each ticket purchased how could they calculate who they would be watching ?

Technically then the leisure journey (dentists ? Leisure ?) should be a return to the starting point and the journey to work then be undertaken as it usually would (in this instance by car).

RJ

Established Member
Unless a persons PT number was entered with each ticket purchased how could they calculate who they would be watching ?

The ticket office clerk or ticket inspection staff could easily remember their face or the name on the Priv and report them if they suspect regular abuse of their facilities.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
This topic leads to a bizarre scenario where the Staff member making the Journey is best off asking the Guard for a ride rather than actually buying a Ticket to make the Journey! :roll:

RJ

Established Member
This topic leads to a bizarre scenario where the Staff member making the Journey is best off asking the Guard for a ride rather than actually buying a Ticket to make the Journey! :roll:

Or buy a Priv rate season ticket...!

motherwell334

This can and does happen - I know colleagues whose spouses have been reported for misuse of privilege travel - not a nice position to be in. :oops:[/QUOTE]

This question cropped up when Our TOC introduced the Staff Smartcard for all family members, not a good idea as wee all now as when they swipe it at the barriers all data gets put on a database so they can easily see whos travelling at when and if There's a pattern emerging ie, spouse travelling through mainline station everyday at same time say 0800 and coming back through at 1730 they will put 2 and 2 together and start proceedings, first by blocking that smartcard and doing a revenue check at the barriers and wait for the person to come through the next day or two.

Not only that the staff member can be disciplined for allowing the free travel being misused

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
This question cropped up when Our TOC introduced the Staff Smartcard for all family members, not a good idea as wee all now as when they swipe it at the barriers all data gets put on a database so they can easily see whos travelling at when and if There's a pattern emerging ie, spouse travelling through mainline station everyday at same time say 0800 and coming back through at 1730 they will put 2 and 2 together and start proceedings, first by blocking that smartcard and doing a revenue check at the barriers and wait for the person to come through the next day or two.

Not only that the staff member can be disciplined for allowing the free travel being misused

How could they stop the card purely on the information quoted ? Let's say spouse of staff takes children to nursery/school or whatever at 9 a.m. then picks them up at 3 p.m. each weekday. Stopping the card on the basis of a travel pattern alone is assuming guilt on the part of the staff's spouse without any hard evidence.

causton

Established Member
How could they stop the card purely on the information quoted ? Let's say spouse of staff takes children to nursery/school or whatever at 9 a.m. then picks them up at 3 p.m. each weekday. Stopping the card on the basis of a travel pattern alone is assuming guilt on the part of the staff's spouse without any hard evidence.

In the same way a card transaction declining means a customer definitely has no money in their account and is skint.

I'm sure that if they could explain the pattern and why (e.g. they went to somewhere for leisure every day around the same time like the gym, or to pick kids up and they could explain it) they would be allowed to continue travelling. I bet that lots of the people that follow patterns that rigidly would be abusers of the system though...!

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
In the same way a card transaction declining means a customer definitely has no money in their account and is skint.

...!

If you have no money in an account the you have no money. It is more like the bank not liking how you are spending your money so it won't let you spend it.

There are many creatures of habit out there with childcare issues, health issues or who just do the same thing day in day out. Shouldn't the burden of proof lie with the TOC ? A travelling pattern alone is not proof of misuse.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A travelling pattern alone is not proof of misuse.

They are not using it as proof, only grounds for further investigation.

If you can supply credible explanation then I doubt there will be further actions taken. Do you have any credible explanation?

I doubt it is ever possible to get in trouble for one journey, or the odd journeys here and there, as it is virtually impossible to detect.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
If you have no money in an account the you have no money. It is more like the bank not liking how you are spending your money so it won't let you spend it.

Which they sometimes do! Granted that is an attempt to reduce fraud and misuse, but still.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
They are not using it as proof, only grounds for further investigation.

If you can supply credible explanation then I doubt there will be further actions taken. Do you have any credible explanation?

I doubt it is ever possible to get in trouble for one journey, or the odd journeys here and there, as it is virtually impossible to detect.

There are also a few grey areas. A regular daily visit to the gym, visits to heatlh centres for a regular course of treatment or dropping off or picking up kids from school may be legitimate but what about someone who is doing voluntary work at a charity shop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.