• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Video File Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaboy1

What do folk here recommend regarding Video File Conversion software?? I shoot in *.mts and need to convert to *.avi or similar. The AVS4YOU stuff I have has a water-mark until I pay for it but the darn thing wont give me the correct aspect ratio, therefore everything appears squashed up & silly!

Any one care to advise on the most suitable sotware available?:roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teaboy1

Hi there,
Thanks for the info, tried it...........and its pants. The HD original was rendered down from 90 MB to 63.5 MB while the audio ran at 100% speed the video ran at some 33% speed and so all the synch was lost! Plus the HD wide screen original shrank to a 1/8 size letter box so its a non-runner Im afraid.....!.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Right........had a fish about and this appears to be a better alternative........at a cost!!
https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph...56-8317-306157&orderid=1261419956-8317-306157

Its a version of ULTRA MP4 VIDEO Converter and the fee is 19.36 with support ??? for another 2.87. The aspect ratio is adjustable for my needs at 1080HD and the quality is however with some rapid acceleration of the subject every now-and-then!!

So unless anyone has a better idea, I shall be treating myself to this from "aone-soft.com";);)

Billr

Teaboy1 am I remembering correctly, I thought you had Vegas?
That will easily convert from 1080i (mts/mt2) to avi and if you set it up will keep the AR at 16:9.

In the file menu select 'properties'
A window will open
In the 'Video' tab select the 'Template' dropdown and set it to 'HD 1080-50i (1920x1080, 25.000 fps)'
At the bottom tick the box next to 'Start all new projects with these settings'.

OK that's the project set up, now drag on your video, do what ever editing you want. When you've finished....

Select 'Render as' from the file menu.
A window opens.
with the dropdown 'Save as type' select 'Video for windows (avi)'
With the dropdown 'Template' select 'PAL DV widescreen'
enter a filename for it and click OK

Make a cuppa and wait for the finished article. Simples.

The avi will be rendered at 25 fps, 720x576

Teaboy1

Hi Billr, yes I do have the Vagas but it produces rendered files of astronomical proportions. Typically a 90MB *.mts file becomes an 8GB *.avi file and so its impractical in that respect.
However I shall try your settings and see what it does. The normal laptop for everyday use is a slow centrino jobbie but my video pc is a dual core machine and does the job far quicker. Its best to put source files in the root of C rather than USB devices, that back plane bus might be "quick" but it soon bogs down when the data has to shunted back&forth!
Ta.;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes we have lift-off..........of sorts!! The camera generates *.mts data at approx >1MB per second, so a 2 minute video can easily exceed 125MB.
I exited down the raw footage as best as I can with Vagas to approx 6 minutes and rendered as advised, this generated an avi file of 1.34GB in size. It then may be viewed with WMP in normal or full-screen size with nearly all the HD quality there.
What I have yet to master is the edit bit and splice my scenes together. The Vagas assumes I am skilled at this..........but Im not.

Happened upon a 66 Railfrieght with 1/2 lime green SHANKS paint job..........whats all that about....??

Shall attempt to upload something else to YT, but expect 1.33 GB to take an hour!!:-x

Billr

I didn't realise you wanted this for youtube.

I have some settings for MP4 for vegas 9 that may help (I attached some a while back but they were for vegas 8, perhaps you'd like to give them a try? They are however for HQ rather than HD as that's all I put up and I think they show quite well on youtube!

If you want them I have attached them and instructions (readme.txt - really easy to do) to this post.

For some basic tutorial for Vegas Movie Studio have a look at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sYEIZQ2LU I'm sure there are many others if you search.

Attachments

• Vegas9_MP4_for_Youtube_settings.zip
    779 bytes · Views: 2
Last edited:

Teaboy1

Still is matey........saw it Weds 23rd......returning from Cottam to Immingham/TyneDock. I have a horse problem where I set up video......they are nosy beggars and think I have food for them. Its best to stand about 20ft away from camera and let them wander up to me, then when train comes, run back to camera and film. May try a few Polo mints to bribe them away cos they do make a noise when filming and can start bitching amongst one-another...(theres about 8 of 'em)

The basic thing I have yet to grasp about Vagas is that finished size of rendered file......6 minutes of video giving 360MB of raw footage rendered then giving 3.34GB of an *.avi file......I mean it wont even fit on a DVD or BluRay will it??
I know its HD but this size is bonkers surely??

Billr

Something is not right there Teaboy1.
A 360Mb mts file I would expect to produce an avi of around 400mb.

The mts file will be HD, the avi SD, I do hope your not trying to produce a HD avi.
If you are then that's your problem!
The mts file is compressed, avi is not.

Thats where mp4 comes in handy, a relatively good image even with its very high compression ratio.

wenling85

What do folk here recommend regarding Video File Conversion software?? I shoot in *.mts and need to convert to *.avi or similar. The AVS4YOU stuff I have has a water-mark until I pay for it but the darn thing wont give me the correct aspect ratio, therefore everything appears squashed up & silly!

I googled m2ts conversion and found iskysoft video converter. I have used it for a while and it's working well so far. It also lets us set the aspect ratio, bit rate, frame rate, etc.

bengley

Established Member
You can use vegas to make MPEG-2 videos. It's what I use and they're just fine. (Also can be upped to youtube)

Teaboy1

Thanks all.......just got back from Douglas Platform..........saw all this white stuff on IoM, North Wales, Cumbria and TV but did not realise how much it covered the country while away!! We are pumping as much gas ashore as possible folks....dont waste it!!

Shall get some videoing done while Im off and let you know what happens. Ta very much!!

Teaboy1

Up date of the way things are at present.........YT now appear to accept *.mts files without any distortion to aspect ratio occurring AND without any corruption. The Vagas has to go, it simply produces ridiculously large files that are no use. That being the case, can anyone recommend a video editing suite that will allow edits of *.mts files AND give me *.mts files back rather than *.avi
Those *.avi files are not HD when rendered but are of biblical proportions when so rendered. Dont know if its the Dolby sound track that cause the increase.....but I wish to get away from Vagas altogether. Just wish to cut/splice my *.mts files without too much faffing about!

Teaboy1

After some research on the subject I now conclude that Sony Vagas is only really suitable for use with Sony camcorders.........probably the name actually gives a strong pointer! Anyway that software will be on the bay shortly.
So my next venture is likely to be Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11, therefore can anyone offer any experience with the above? It appears to get favorable reviews when Google'd but would welcome any current user experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.