• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin First Class: Wolverhampton - Coventry

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroSpace

Am I right in thinking that the £5.60 FDS from WVH to COV will let me travel first class on any Virgin Pendolino, even the breakfast and dinner services?

Am I likely to be given a meal if I only have first class until Coventry?

Seems very good value :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that the £5.60 FDS from WVH to COV will let me travel first class on any Virgin Pendolino, even the breakfast and dinner services?

Am I likely to be given a meal if I only have first class until Coventry?

Seems very good value :)
You will have no chance of a meal as the food is generally not served at seat until about Rugby, sometimes later.

The drinks trolley only starts at New St and meal orders start being taken after departure from New St.

AeroSpace

Ok thank you, that makes a lot more sense!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How about Liverpool Lime Street - Stafford? I can see £11.50 First Advances for the 1848 which in the timetable is a dinner service.

First class

Established Member
Ok thank you, that makes a lot more sense!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How about Liverpool Lime Street - Stafford? I can see £11.50 First Advances for the 1848 which in the timetable is a dinner service.

Well I am usually served my meal between Runcorn and Crewe, so you should at least be served a meal, but as for having the time to enjoy it...

I would also imagine that particular train ex Liverpool may well be quite busy which can only add on to the delay of being served and having your order in front of you.

rail-britain

Established Member
Between Wolverhampton and Coventry, as above I doubt you will be served breakfast or dinner, but you may be lucky enough to be offered a drink

Between Liverpool and Stafford you should be served shortly after departure, the next serving would normally be immediately after Stafford

Zoidberg

Established Member
Well I am usually served my meal between Runcorn and Crewe, so you should at least be served a meal, but as for having the time to enjoy it...

I would also imagine that particular train ex Liverpool may well be quite busy which can only add on to the delay of being served and having your order in front of you.

On the service which starts at Wolverhampton for Euston my experience is as set out by Old Timer. Viz:

... the food is generally not served at seat until about Rugby, sometimes later.

The drinks trolley only starts at New St and meal orders start being taken after departure from New St.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Or you could go in the first class lounges at Wolves, New St, Intl and Cov and eat, drink and read your way throught the train fare in freebies :D

mickey

I used to do this fairly often when Virgin still had the XC group (changing to the Reading train), most often at breakfast time. I always told them where I was getting off and they always did their best to make sure I got something in time (around Crewe iirc), but it only worked if I didn't have the grill. Presumably it's the same in the evening - again, go for something other than the main 'dish of the day' and you should be fine. Coffee and tea was always served on departure; more drinks served after Runcorn when the meal orders are taken.

Incidentally, if you end up going the other way make sure the time at Stafford is marked in the darker colour on the timetable as that way they have to serve you dinner - on the services where the darker bit is only London there is no later serving.

Status
Not open for further replies.