• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Qualified Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

455driver

Veteran Member
VWC havent taken on trainees for a few years now (neither have XC who also have a qualified only policy) and I remember last year there was something in an internal magazine we get at work about it, cant flippin remember which mag or who it was though. :oops:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Would love to know blood pressure levels of HR department if they ever did advertise externally for Trainees :D

E&W Lucas

Established Member
VWC havent taken on trainees for a few years now (neither have XC who also have a qualified only policy) and I remember last year there was something in an internal magazine we get at work about it, cant flippin remember which mag or who it was though. :oops:

Likewise for EC, but have advertised for internal trainees. No number specified, and I do not know how many (if any), have been taken on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
May I be nosy and ask the source of your rumour?

I currently work for Virgin and was not having much hope of anything coming up until about 5-10 years away when a lot of drivers are due to retire.

But you HAVE got a route into the driving grade!
Apply as an external candidate, to whichever unit operators are local to you, train, get out of PQA, keep your nose clean, and then submit your CV as a Qualified Driver. As 455 said above, it is called progression.

The likes of Virgin, EC, etc. have several thousand staff. Even if they do advertise for trainees, there will only ever be a small number. There are far more of you on the payroll, that want to be drivers, and are perfectly capable of doing the job, than will ever get the chance of a training post. External trainee driver on units, leading to Inter City work, in a relatively short space of time, is a very well trodden path.
Would love to know blood pressure levels of HR department if they ever did advertise externally for Trainees :D

No different to normal. They get loads of speculative CV's all the time. Prospective trainees and qualified drivers.

Kylemaster

@sammyh apparently virgin staff get some kind of magazine through the post every month about what's going on in virgin trains. There was an article in the last one from the director or somebody explaining that they are going to start it up again due to upcoming retirements in the near future. Makes sense to me. At least doing it internally they can pick the staff they want and not end up with some wasters.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
At least doing it internally they can pick the staff they want and not end up with some wasters.

Do they end up with "wasters" if they recruit external trainees, or qualified drivers?
I could introduce you to some driver managers, who would tell you that the majority of those who have had problems during training (including being taken off the course), or who have struggled afterwards, have been internal trainees. No sleight on the many who have come through that route, and performed as well as anyone, BTW.

Kylemaster

I'm sure a lot of people could struggle with the training. But by recruiting from within they can see your true employment record. IE sickness, timekeeping, attitude and work ethic.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I'm sure a lot of people could struggle with the training. But by recruiting from within they can see your true employment record. IE sickness, timekeeping, attitude and work ethic.

You get very few that struggle with the training. Round about 90% pass, in my experience. The selection tests do work, in that respect.

Re attitude, etc., what you say should hold true, but doesn't always in practice unfortunately. Please don't underestimate the caliber of candidate from the outside world either. People from jobs, where you can take basic professionalism and workplace discipline forgranted.

A-driver

Established Member
Likewise for EC, but have advertised for internal trainees. No number specified, and I do not know how many (if any), have been taken on.

I am told they were advertising for 1 internal trainee but that they can't decide between 2 candidates so rumour has it they will train both up and hold one in relief. I believe they are going o Leeds.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I am told they were advertising for 1 internal trainee but that they can't decide between 2 candidates so rumour has it they will train both up and hold one in relief. I believe they are going o Leeds.

Playground rumour. Vacs advertised at several depots. They are hardly likely to run a course for one person!!

A-driver

Established Member
Playground rumour. Vacs advertised at several depots. They are hardly likely to run a course for one person!!

I have certainly known it to be done before!

I'm just passing on the rumours I was told at kings x.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Virgin have had a bolo um a telling off for poaching drivers from other companies so have to recruit a few trainees so they are seen to be "doing their bit".

Funny thing is the "poaching" would have been called promotion in BR days. :lol:

Who told them off and what source do you have? If I recall all TOC's have to take on some trainees and it something to do with the current employment laws!

The RDG was threatening to attempt to co-ordinate efforts for a national training scheme; whether or not thats a physical result, or simply TOCs all contributing to the coffers will remain to be seen. I think it's a fair cop to be honest.

I don't think it's too unreasonable that Virgin/EC/etc have stirred themselves into action to try and stave off any further attempts to level the costs, which will ultimately disadvantage them.

Sammy h

But you HAVE got a route into the driving grade!
Apply as an external candidate, to whichever unit operators are local to you, train, get out of PQA, keep your nose clean, and then submit your CV as a Qualified Driver. As 455 said above, it is called progression.

The likes of Virgin, EC, etc. have several thousand staff. Even if they do advertise for trainees, there will only ever be a small number. There are far more of you on the payroll, that want to be drivers, and are perfectly capable of doing the job, than will ever get the chance of a training post. External trainee driver on units, leading to Inter City work, in a relatively short space of time, is a very well trodden path.

No different to normal. They get loads of speculative CV's all the time. Prospective trainees and qualified drivers.

Don't get me wrong. I have been trying to get on with other TOCS, however when I have made it to the interview/tests, my location has been an issue and they weren't keen on me relocating...

I would prefer to work for Virgin anyway, but like you say there will be hundreds of internals going for it (if true)

Will await further details.
@sammyh apparently virgin staff get some kind of magazine through the post every month about what's going on in virgin trains. There was an article in the last one from the director or somebody explaining that they are going to start it up again due to upcoming retirements in the near future. Makes sense to me. At least doing it internally they can pick the staff they want and not end up with some wasters.

Thanks Kyle. I received mine two weeks ago and had the usual scan through it and don't remember seeing it. Will have to try and get another copy and see what was said.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I'm just passing on the rumours I was told at kings x.

Grrrrrr Never repeat workplace rumours!! <(
Don't get me wrong. I have been trying to get on with other TOCS, however when I have made it to the interview/tests, my location has been an issue and they weren't keen on me relocating...

I would prefer to work for Virgin anyway, but like you say there will be hundreds of internals going for it (if true)

Will await further details.

Why invite someone for interview, only to decide that their location is a problem?
Wastes everyone's time. Sloppy practice.
Best of luck with it anyway; hope something comes up.

Sammy h

Exactly, frustrating for me as I was willing to relocate. Maybe it was just an excuse, who knows. Looking forward to hearing if any trainee positions become available at Virgin.
Managed to dig out a copy of the VT magazine and it looks as though they will be advertising for internal trainee drivers! Yippee.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Best Of Luck Sammy H-I hope your patience and commitment pays off for you :D

Sbarfoot

When will they be looking internally? I am due to begin working for them in the next few weeks and always imagined eventually I would move towards being a driver after a few years but if the opportunity came up with in the next year then I would be as eligible as anyone right? Unless you would need to have worked for them for a period of time beforehand.

A-driver

Established Member
When will they be looking internally? I am due to begin working for them in the next few weeks and always imagined eventually I would move towards being a driver after a few years but if the opportunity came up with in the next year then I would be as eligible as anyone right? Unless you would need to have worked for them for a period of time beforehand.

Normally they won't let you move within your training or probationary period.

It also depends how many they need and how many people apply and how relevant your job is to driving-often with internal promotion guards, platform dispatchers, shunters etc will have a better chance as they are already safety critical, know parts of the rule book, have a proven safety record, have experience of similar situations a driver needs experience in etc.

Best to speak to your manager when you start really as they may need to authorise your application if you are new.

Sbarfoot

Ok thanks, I will take it as it comes like with the new job just enjoy being part of the company and the work and take my time getting my feet under the table :D

craigybagel

Established Member
In theory there's nothing stopping you any time really, once you have access to the Virgin Intranet, the Forum (which you can access through the computers at your depot/station/workplace - or you can arrange for your own personal computer to be linked to it). Internal only jobs are advertised there, and thats the only way you can normally apply for them. In the past, they've never had any requirements about serving a certain amount of time before you can apply for a job there, so I can't see why this would be any different.

The downside of course is that there are 3000 people working at Virgin, so it's probably going to be somewhere in the multiples of hundreds of applicants for drivers jobs when they do go up, but by all means apply for them, you have as good a chance as anybody! And to be fair to Virgin, they're very big on career development. Amongst staff theres been a lot of talk about it already, even though as yet noone knows when these jobs are going to appear, how many there will be and what depots they will be for.

Congratulations on getting the job! I'm assuming it is the Platform job at Euston you'd talked about in a previous thread?

Sbarfoot

Yes was the platform job, took the advice offered and seemed to work a treat so very grateful to everyone that offered help. Assuming nothing turns up in my pee but I cant see that happening and haven't heard anything to the contrary so start training soon.

craigybagel

Established Member
Sounds good. I know theres a course starting on May 6th (I know the trainer), if you're on that all being well it should be 3 weeks in Crewe and then back to London to do your shadowing and final asessment before you're out by yourself. Once you're back in London they'll show you where you can access the computers (at most stations you need to use them as part of your daily job anyway) and from there you can normally apply for any internal job that comes up.

craigybagel

Established Member
Trainee drivers jobs now posted on the internal system, with 2 at each of Wolves, Preston and Liverpool. Closing date is 15th May.

bmc1604

Trainee drivers jobs now posted on the internal system, with 2 at each of Wolves, Preston and Liverpool. Closing date is 15th May.

And there is definitely no other way in but to already work for VT to put an app forward for these posts?

Essex Man

If only I was younger... How do they get qualified nowdays ? The footplate was a different world in the 70's...

RJ

Established Member
And there is definitely no other way in but to already work for VT to put an app forward for these posts?

Yes, one point stated in the advert;

A good record of attendance, performance including disciplinary and safety will be required

Which obviously, they cannot ascertain to their satisfaction unless you're already in!

A-driver

Established Member

Internal trainee and qualified external are feet he preference for driver jobs. Qualified don't take long to get productive and internal trainees mean they already know lots about you, they can get a recommendation from your manager, you already know about the company etc.

I don't think we are likely to see any intercity tocs recruiting trainees from outside any time soon. They would need to be pretty desperate to do so.

craigybagel

Established Member
And given that even internal employees haven't been able to apply for drivers jobs for the last 8 years, it would destroy morale in the company if these jobs went external. Theres over 3000 staff at VT - so you can bet on the applications being in the multiples of hundreds for 6 jobs, so they'll have plenty of candidates to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.