• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains East Coast launch day

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Z09

Are you in 1st? I've had 5 trips so far and seen no choccies (though I did swipe some from the 1st class lounge on the 1st Monday)

No not in 1st,box sitting on the counter at buffet thought it best to sample some!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
Are you in 1st? I've had 5 trips so far and seen no choccies (though I did swipe some from the 1st class lounge on the 1st Monday)

I've had the same. No chocolate here either :( Not missing much since they look like the bog standard promo ones that my local Indian takeaway gives with all meals :p

westv

Established Member
So are any other peak time services out of London feeling the second hand EMT love or is it just Hull that's been "lucky"?

Failed Unit

Established Member
So are any other peak time services out of London feeling the second hand EMT love or is it just Hull that's been "lucky"?

I think so, it must get to Leeds so Lincoln may be another good target as the coach less won't be missed. Edinburgh is safe. :lol:

TUC

Established Member

I think so, it must get to Leeds so Lincoln may be another good target as the coach less won't be missed. Edinburgh is safe. :lol:
i do think they should rotate it around the diesel services they operate. Otherwise it does give the impression of Hull/Selby being of little interest to Virgin and for which they're happy just using a cast-off.

SaveECRewards

i do think they should rotate it around the diesel services they operate. Otherwise it does give the impression of Hull/Selby being of little interest to Virgin and for which they're happy just using a cast-off.

It's not a cast off. It's a train that David Horne had plenty of control over in the previous years so he must be proud to show it off on the ECML ;)

ag51ruk

Or alternatively they're making the most of their assets by using the highest capacity trains on the routes with the most demand

dfurn

Virgin East Coast HST earlier today. Photo not cropped hence undeal framing. In my defence it was probably travelling 100mph or so.

Attachments

• DSC_1744.jpg
    DSC_1744.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 315

JaJaWa

Established Member
Looks like the purple stripes are bing removed as I have seen a power car with the red stripe marked off by a white stripe on either side and no purple stripe seen here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=212Bo2X_BIw

Interesting! I wonder if the East Coast logos will be going on the coaches - presumed they would straight away as the Virgin livery doesn't have any logos or text on them.

Established Member
That is the National Express livery, as opposed to the East Coast livery. I would expect the HSTs will remain as now until they are re-liveried.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Looks like the purple stripes are bing removed as I have seen a power car with the red stripe marked off by a white stripe on either side and no purple stripe seen here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=212Bo2X_BIw

That's an NXEC liveried HST Power Car. They never had purple stripes, so the Virgin strip has just been well done and been slotted into the old white section and left the white bands on either side. Actually looks quite good, rather than the dodgy purple lines like on some of them.

HST livery is due to be unveiled in the next few weeks. It's just been signed off I believe as it was done separately to the MK4 and I believe it is quite different too.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I didn't realise there were many HST power cars going around with the purple stripe applied and the white filled in all grey!

Also explains why the stripe is going the 'wrong' way on the one in the video...

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
That's an NXEC liveried HST Power Car. They never had purple stripes, so the Virgin strip has just been well done and been slotted into the old white section and left the white bands on either side. Actually looks quite good, rather than the dodgy purple lines like on some of them.

HST livery is due to be unveiled in the next few weeks. It's just been signed off I believe as it was done separately to the MK4 and I believe it is quite different too.

Ah explains a lot very well done!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I didn't realise there were many HST power cars going around with the purple stripe applied and the white filled in all grey!

Also explains why the stripe is going the 'wrong' way on the one in the video...

Two 43s were left in NXEC livery the rest battle ship grey

So the HST livery will be quite different. .. exciting

What is the plan for the grey ex EMT rake what will refurbishment bring a mallard treatment? ??

westv

Established Member
Does anybody know how much longer the EMT set is to be used as a fill in?

westv

Established Member
Ok.
We're being bribed with the evening meal on tonight's service rather than the normal all day menu.

LowLevel

Established Member
Until IEP arrives. Once the refurbishments are done on other sets it will be used to make the extra services happen.

It's working great - the punters on the peak MML services that are now shortformed as per this morning and on a key train last Sunday as two examples whenever there's an issue must really appreciate the cooperation between companies - slowing transferring any of your peak time slack to benefit East Coast over the last few years has been brilliant :p (I'm fully aware that EMT have sets lying around at Cricklewood all day but during the peaks and Sundays it's caused problems already - Sunday afternoon 5-222 vice HST is not pretty!)

JaJaWa

Established Member
On launch day journalists were told that the EMT set is on hire to VTEC until December 2018.

Is it getting refreshed / refurbished like the rest of the fleet, and will 'Mallard' seats be installed? Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

387star

On Moderation
According to Rail it is only getting new carpets and seat covers etc and it was the only 125 set available to them

E-Rail

Should the MK4 refurbishment be read as follows...

New seat covers for all seats means it won't be as obvious to spot the new, extra seats being added.

New carpets will be needed to cover the bolt holes in the current carpet where table legs will have been removed and seats repositioned.

'Clearer on train signage' no doubt refers to new signage to match the new, increased seating configuration.

Or I could be wrong...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are they increasing seating capacity on the Mk4s? I hadn't heard anything to that effect...

E-Rail

They have refused to deny it. Stagecoach wouldn't spend £21 million on a refresh that would only last 3 years. The refurbishment is a cover story I would reckon. Of course its something they wouldn't shout about but with a £210 million premium due for the first year, they cant really wait for IEP to deliver the extra capacity.

Skimble19

Established Member
Don't forget at least 6 MK4 sets will apparently be staying even after IEP has been delivered..

Status
Not open for further replies.