• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains West Coast Apprentice Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastMidsMatt

I've been given a start date, I'm 41, white and really do not feel any discrimination against me exists. I think it's ridiculous to suggest such a thing. I personally have no idea what minority groups have to put up with and neither does any white male in this country. We've had it too good for too long and now that women and minority groups are wanting a piece of the pie some people feel uncomfortable and threatened. If you're right for the job then you'll get it, white, black, gay, straight or female...as it should be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
In an ideal world that’s how it should be 100%, but this isn’t an ideal world - positive discrimination is alive and well and growing quite openingly.

EastMidsMatt

Positive discrimination is fine in my opinion, it attempts to balance out all the racial/sexual discrimination that exists.

Thedispatcher

Have many people completed the second round of testing? The Visual Search Exercise is a bit of a challenge.

irish_rail

Established Member
Positive discrimination is fine in my opinion, it attempts to balance out all the racial/sexual discrimination that exists.
What a selfish view. I'm so glad you got your driving job now all other driver wannabees can go to hell in favour of candidates who's real driving force is the salary. A generalisation obviously but why should a whole generation of guys suffer because of mistakes made in the past?
BTW I have no axe to grind here I am in the privileged position of being a driver with an intercity TOC so this isn't a case of me feeling hard done by.

Up_Tilt_390

I've been given a start date, I'm 41, white and really do not feel any discrimination against me exists. I think it's ridiculous to suggest such a thing. I personally have no idea what minority groups have to put up with and neither does any white male in this country. We've had it too good for too long and now that women and minority groups are wanting a piece of the pie some people feel uncomfortable and threatened. If you're right for the job then you'll get it, white, black, gay, straight or female...as it should be.

You might not feel discrimination against you exists, but I think those turned down from jobs because of things like affirmative action would beg to differ. One example is BBC applicants who were told that the position they applied for was only for ethnic minorities. Let us also not forget Labour's recent scandal of banning straight white able-bodied men from a Youth Conference. Both of these were done in the name of representation, because apparently only people of your race or sex can properly represent you, because apparently you belong in a group, you're not an individual human being. It's identity politics at it's worse.

Not to mention, the notion that only minorities can understand the hardships they face and white men will never understand it is racist in itself. It's essentially suggesting that a white man doesn't know of minority hardships because he is white. Judgement based on skin colour. Hypocritically though, the majority of the people putting that notion forward feel that they are fully qualified to represent everyone in that group because, apparently, they know their hardships. The notion of someone not knowing about minority hardships because of their race is ludicrous. They might not have faced it personally, but that doesn't mean you can't understand it.

It's funny how the far-left always complain about racism, sexism and discrimination, yet they themselves are guilty of this. They justify it by saying racism requires power somehow, even though that's not true, and they know that as well. The Americans had a black president for eight years before Donald Trump, but they wouldn't dare apply that logic to someone who they deem oppressed. The fact of the matter is, you cannot say that someone has it good because white people as a whole have had it good, because no two people are the same. It's as if they read 1984 and thought it was a Labour Party manifesto rather than a dystopian novel.

Discrimination is the unjust or prejudical treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of sex, race, age or sexual orientation. So the idea of "positive" discrimination is a total oxymoron unless you actually like discrimination. Attempting to balance out discrimination with more discrimination will just create more discrimination.

red2005

Oh do shut up!!! Why oh why do people who struggle to get a position in such a competitive industry play the discrimination/conspiracy card every time they’re unsuccessful!?

Crazy thing is half of these people are the same people that when they find out they’ve unfortunately fallen short can’t even be bothered to get feedback! And then they wonder why they fail the next time around?

Don’t people realise with the high numbers that they’re up against for a low number of jobs that appear very infrequently odds wise it’s just difficult!..... it’s bog all to do with discrimination!

If you’re the right person for the job and you show enough flexibility to realise that there may actually be a bit of inconvenience involved in getting the job such as maybe a pay cut or relocation the chances are you’ll get a job reasonably quickly!

But please don’t sit there filling in one application every 5 years because it’s on your doorstep and convenient and then claim discrimination.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Ludicrous statement. You may be happy to be discriminated against as a white male, but most of us aren't!

If discrimination is wrong, it's wrong full stop. Two wrongs don't make a right etc.

Up_Tilt_390

Oh do shut up!!! Why oh why do people who struggle to get a position in such a competitive industry play the discrimination/conspiracy card every time they’re unsuccessful!?

Crazy thing is half of these people are the same people that when they find out they’ve unfortunately fallen short can’t even be bothered to get feedback! And then they wonder why they fail the next time around?

Don’t people realise with the high numbers that they’re up against for a low number of jobs that appear very infrequently odds wise it’s just difficult!..... it’s bog all to do with discrimination!

If you’re the right person for the job and you show enough flexibility to realise that there may actually be a bit of inconvenience involved in getting the job such as maybe a pay cut or relocation the chances are you’ll get a job reasonably quickly!

But please don’t sit there filling in one application every 5 years because it’s on your doorstep and convenient and then claim discrimination.

Funny, cause there’s actually a discussion about discrimination at Network Rail also going on as we type. Lots of the answers said the same thing about a competitive industry. I tried to apply for this respective position with the willingness to relocate, but I think I lost it the very minute that I said I couldn’t get to work without public transport. I should’ve just said yes and bought a bike later on. Unfortunately they couldn’t offer feedback so I’ll never know for sure.

red2005

Well yeah the fact that you’ve said you had to rely on public transport only was your downfall there! You’d of even been better saying you were getting a lift of family members than saying that unfortunately. I’d of said I’m renting a house 5 minutes away if I had the limitations you said you had. Most of the railway is running long before other public transportation is out of bed.

Discrimination is a funny thing! To a certain extent a company has the right to employ who they want and who they feel is right for the position without this card being thrown at them.

The people moaning about discrimination these days certainly weren’t complaining when they were reaping the benefits of obvious discrimination towards others not so long back.....discrimination is such a fickle card to play.

Overspeed110

Couldn't agree more. Feel very sorry for guys trying to get into driving now, you are up against it!! White men are fast becoming the most discriminated group in society especially when looking for jobs. I feel sorry for young guys starting out in today's world where hatred of white men by the media is so prevalent.

I hear UKIP are looking for a new leader?

Bromley boy

Established Member
Discrimination is a funny thing! To a certain extent a company has the right to employ who they want and who they feel is right for the position without this card being thrown at them.

The people moaning about discrimination these days certainly weren’t complaining when they were reaping the benefits of obvious discrimination towards others not so long back.....discrimination is such a fickle card to play.

Discrimination, on prohibited grounds of sex, religion etc. is (rightly) illegal in the U.K. Positive action (ie marketing jobs towards under represented groups) isn’t.

Nobody has “consciously reaped the benefits of obvious discrimination towards others”?

As for people on here saying they’re in favour of positive discrimination - as a white male they’d presumably be fully in favour of me being turned down for a job based on my race/sex - I find that quite offensive.

PC brain washing has clearly taken over in some quarters.

TeaTrain

Good luck to anyone going for it! I tried last year for Manchester and it was fun! Didn't succeed but still got my enhanced tests in the bag.

sw1ller

Established Member
I feel this thread has lost the plot a bit! I probably shouldn’t have encouraged it with my little reply but I’m sure there’s better places to aire your frustrations on this.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I feel this thread has lost the plot a bit! I probably shouldn’t have encouraged it with my little reply but I’m sure there’s better places to aire your frustrations on this.

Fair enough.

To be clear I have absolutely no issue with this scheme, I do have an issue with people in favour of discrimination ("positive" or "negative" - both are equally bad in my view!).

Have any of the apprentices from previous years got keys yet? I gather the scheme has run several times.

Overspeed110

Just asked a mate who's a driver at TOC where I worked and over the last 18 months at his depot alone, he reckons there's been around 30 - 35 drivers recruited off the street, maybe 3-4 females, the rest - white males.

Scouse_scott

Good luck to anyone going for it! I tried last year for Manchester and it was fun! Didn't succeed but still got my enhanced tests in the bag.

I done the same, have you applied for any other tocs since getting your enhanced pass with virgin?

TeaTrain

Yes I applied for Northern Trainee driver here in Manchester Pic not long ago. I have heard that some people have already had an interview, went for their assessments, and passed everything. Others have heard nothing at all (like me).

I have no idea whats going on with that one! Even emailed HR to be told they are still going through the sift.

Ah well!

Scouse_scott

Yes I applied for Northern Trainee driver here in Manchester Pic not long ago. I have heard that some people have already had an interview, went for their assessments, and passed everything. Others have heard nothing at all (like me).

I have no idea whats going on with that one! Even emailed HR to be told they are still going through the sift.

Ah well!

Sounds like your application is still live so good luck, just be prepared to re-do the mmi! What we did with virgin was the cbi and it is slightly different

TeaTrain

Ah I see. Well I don't mind that at least I don't have to do it all again. For now!

Illyas

Fair enough.

To be clear I have absolutely no issue with this scheme, I do have an issue with people in favour of discrimination ("positive" or "negative" - both are equally bad in my view!).

Have any of the apprentices from previous years got keys yet? I gather the scheme has run several times.

The one they did last year was the first in the industry iirc, I believe the 3 that have finished their year get their keys after their driver training which from what I hear is due to start in the next few months.

uww11x

The test is ridiculous!

Broken down train, you run over your hours driving. What do you do!
a- Say no to moving the train and wait for a driver to come
B- Move to next station and drop off
C Agree to take it the terminus another 15 minutes away
D You have done it in the past and been ok.

MD wants to travel in cab without pass. Another driver got pulled for saying no when the MD came the other day. What do you do

A- Say yes
B Say firmly no
C Explain you need to see a pass
D Ringer DM and ask.

uww11x

Feel the questions are harsh to say the least! Not actually giving folk a fair chance

ComUtoR

Established Member
The test is ridiculous!

Why ridiculous ? Because you struggled to answer the question or because you didn't understand them ? Other ?

Feel the questions are harsh to say the least! Not actually giving folk a fair chance

An online test with fixed questions removes bias (where possible) How is it 'Unfair' ?

uww11x

The correct answer should be not to the move train if you are over hours surely!

Status
Not open for further replies.