• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains West Coast Apprentice Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Apprentice Train Driver (Wolverhampton, London Euston, Polmadie) https://www.virgintrainscareers.co.uk/VacancyInformation.aspx?VId=63535

Closing date

02/03/2018

This twelve month programme is a fantastic opportunity to develop the required knowledge, skills, and behaviours to embark upon a driver career with the UK’s leading train operating company. You will work alongside some of the industry’s best drivers, trainers and people, and will benefit from a well-rounded view of the operation, the business, and the future of the industry.

You will be given the opportunity to gain a practical insight into what it takes to be one of our train drivers while studying for an NVQ in Rail Services. You will also experience other areas of the operation, support, and HQ functions.

This apprenticeship programme is your green light to progress into full driver training. On successful completion of your first year, you will commence driver training as a Trainee Driver New Entrant. Driver training will take up to 2 years.

To Apply – Please visit https://extranet.theopc.co.uk/virgintrains/ and enter the access code VR2018T

PLEASE DO NOT APPLY VIA THE VIRGIN TRAINS CAREERS WEBSITE!

If you’d like a look at the day in the life of one of our driver apprentices, then click on the youtube link below -

Your journey along the West Coast mainline awaits you!
Accountabilities
Please note this is a fixed term appointment which will become permanent providing you successfully pass the first 12 months of the apprenticeship.

These roles will be based at Wolverhampton, London Euston and Polmadie (Glasgow).

As above - Remember how to apply:

Please visit https://extranet.theopc.co.uk/virgintrains/ and enter the access code VR2018T

PLEASE DO NOT APPLY VIA THE VIRGIN TRAINS CAREERS WEBSITE!

Competencies: Being A Great Team Player, Boldy Challenging, Inspiring Yourself, Passionate & Committed

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Up_Tilt_390

Oh just my luck, not one of those depots are local to me. I don't suppose they'd be willing to accept an applicant wiling to move right? Nah, I doubt it too, especially with others just as enthusiastic and actually being local. I guess I'll just have to potentially spend another long period of time waiting for a Liverpool apprentice. To those who can apply, best of luck to you all. It's a rare opportunity for anyone wanting to get into the train driving grade, and one that you shouldn't miss.

Scouse_scott

Im
Oh just my luck, not one of those depots are local to me. I don't suppose they'd be willing to accept an applicant wiling to move right? Nah, I doubt it too, especially with others just as enthusiastic and actually being local. I guess I'll just have to potentially spend another long period of time waiting for a Liverpool apprentice. To those who can apply, best of luck to you all. It's a rare opportunity for anyone wanting to get into the train driving grade, and one that you shouldn't miss.
I'm pretty sure they would be willing to accept applicants that will move for the job. I applied last year when they advertised for Liverpool + Manchester/ another I can't remember and get through because I said I was willing to relocate for the job

Up_Tilt_390

I'm pretty sure they would be willing to accept applicants that will move for the job. I applied last year when they advertised for Liverpool + Manchester/ another I can't remember and get through because I said I was willing to relocate for the job

Really? That kind of helps, but I mean even if that's true, would it really be easy since I'm a single young male under 25 (therefore unable to get housing benefit) who probably couldn't afford housing (especially in London) on the starting salary?

Scouse_scott

Really? That kind of helps, but I mean even if that's true, would it really be easy since I'm a single young male under 25 (therefore unable to get housing benefit) who probably couldn't afford housing (especially in London) on the starting salary?

Like you said before it's a fantastic opportunity that might not come around again? Just apply and if your successful you'll make it work.

Also when I applied for this last time they invited me to do some psychometric testing online first, if this is your first time applying for a driver role it's a chance to see how you perform on them

Up_Tilt_390

Like you said before it's a fantastic opportunity that might not come around again? Just apply and if your successful you'll make it work.

Also when I applied for this last time they invited me to do some psychometric testing online first, if this is your first time applying for a driver role it's a chance to see how you perform on them

True, and now that you've told me about you going through the process, I am tempted to apply, but I'm just not sure on moving away from home alone. Is housing reasonable in Wolverhampton? I certainly know it's not within one hour reach of my home like the depots required, so commuting isn't an option unless I can somehow get them to agree to me getting a B&B in advance or something for early or late shufts, but I can't expect them to work around me.

What do you think personally? I would really like to just sign up and worry about housing later really, but I don't entirely trust my own judgement and would like a second opinion.

EDIT: Send me a private message if you have any information.

Last edited:

saracen

It's an apprenticeship so it's actually very good

It's a very poor salary within the rail industry, and using the job title 'apprentice' almost gives them carte blanche to pay so little. Many companies are going down this route as the government provide funding for apprenticeships.

There is nothing wrong with going in as an entry level trainee driver on 23-26k rather than this dicking about on a lower pay grade for a year for them to say 'actually, you didn't quite cut it in your first year, we'll give you a job on the platform'

GMT

Just out of curiosity, how close to the depot do you have to live? There's no distance mentioned.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It's a very poor salary within the rail industry, and using the job title 'apprentice' almost gives them carte blanche to pay so little. Many companies are going down this route as the government provide funding for apprenticeships.

There is nothing wrong with going in as an entry level trainee driver on 23-26k rather than this dicking about on a lower pay grade for a year for them to say 'actually, you didn't quite cut it in your first year, we'll give you a job on the platform'

It's more than I was paid as a railway apprentice. I suspect in year 2 as trainee drivers they'll be paid accordingly. But in year 1 they're apprentices and could legitimately be paid 3quid something an hour. 15k as an apprenticeship wage is very good.

Saracen_83

Only 15k though for a whole year!! Then I presume it will go to the trainee driver salary of 27 then increase as and when you pass the stages etc???

theking

3 years to be a qualified driver.....

The first year I understand as it's an apprenticeship

But why 2 to become a qualified.

If you really need want to be an apprentice or you live near the depots (excluding Euston) then I understand but for anyone else you're better off going for trainee driver roles.

London 10101

It is an apprenticeship people! 15k is normal for apprenticeship! Some people take years to get a drivers job! 3 years will fly by.

Dscs

But 15k! That's a struggle to live on that in London to say the least.

baz962

Established Member
Remember everyone, apprenticeships are for people leaving school or college. It is not meant for full grown adults with responsibilities.

Well probably but if you were still youngish with responsibilities, and were not earning a great deal, then nothing to lose.

CatchMeIfUCan

Wow what an amazing opportunity.

Does this online assessment count towards your 2 lifetime tries to becoming a train driver?

And what if one has already achieved enhanced psychometric & mmi test results?

Scouse_scott

Wow what an amazing opportunity.

Does this online assessment count towards your 2 lifetime tries to becoming a train driver?

And what if one has already achieved enhanced psychometric & mmi test results?

No it won't count as one your two lives, and yes you will still have yo do the online assessment even if you already have a pass on the psychometric tests

Thomas Booth

Remember everyone, apprenticeships are for people leaving school or college. It is not meant for full grown adults with responsibilities.

I think this may not be a traditional "apprenticeship" as in primarily aimed at school leavers. It seems it is similar to the Jet2 Pilot Apprentice scheme. One of my friends is on that and it is a good way of sourcing good quality applicants before spending a considerable sum on their training.

FManc

Just some info for anyone who's already undergone and passed the tests. You would need to retake the Group Bourdon Test as well as any tests not up to the enhanced level. You'd also have to sit the CBI (your MMI pass isn't applicable here).

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Be like Sam....hmmmm

Positive and discrimination spring to mind. The industry is bending overbackwards to become more inclusive to “under represented groups” to the detriment of “over represented groups” ?

Maybe young women don’t want to work stupid shifts, in cold, dirty conditions ?

I’ve found if someone wants something they’ll work hard to achieve it regardless of a view that they are under represented by a social engineering thinktank.

How offensive is it to say women are paid less than men, don’t progress as far career wise as men bla bla?

Tell someone something enough and at a young enough age they’ll believe it.

The country is at risk of making young men feel so unwanted we risk destroying the mental health and self esteem of a generation.

I’ll await the back lash...

irish_rail

Established Member
Be like Sam....hmmmm

Positive and discrimination spring to mind. The industry is bending overbackwards to become more inclusive to “under represented groups” to the detriment of “over represented groups” ?

Maybe young women don’t want to work stupid shifts, in cold, dirty conditions ?

I’ve found if someone wants something they’ll work hard to achieve it regardless of a view that they are under represented by a social engineering thinktank.

How offensive is it to say women are paid less than men, don’t progress as far career wise as men bla bla?

Tell someone something enough and at a young enough age they’ll believe it.

The country is at risk of making young men feel so unwanted we risk destroying the mental health and self esteem of a generation.

I’ll await the back lash...
Couldn't agree more. Feel very sorry for guys trying to get into driving now, you are up against it!! White men are fast becoming the most discriminated group in society especially when looking for jobs. I feel sorry for young guys starting out in today's world where hatred of white men by the media is so prevalent.

baz962

Established Member
Couldn't agree more. Feel very sorry for guys trying to get into driving now, you are up against it!! White men are fast becoming the most discriminated group in society especially when looking for jobs. I feel sorry for young guys starting out in today's world where hatred of white men by the media is so prevalent.

Easy , im a white, english male and 48 and i Just got taken on as a trainee driver, i dont think we are discriminated against.

sw1ller

Established Member
Me too, as were all the trainees that joined with me. (All different ages, 26-50)

Status
Not open for further replies.