• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains West Coast Apprentice Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

red2005

You are missing my point, i did not say i was discriminated against, nor that i agreed other people were , just that i can understand why they might (mistakenly or otherwise) think they were. My point was i had a dmi and did not get a job with a toc, did not think too much to it , but did wonder if, not think or believe i was, merely wonder if any discrimination was present. Then i get another dmi with a toc , but the difference was i did not get a position out of two hundred with toc one , and did with toc two out of forty positions with a toc that required higher psychometric passes, additional tests and a more comprehensive interview. And despite you saying i dont know how it went, er yes to the extent i struggled and floundered with three questions, which did not happen with toc one. Summary could not get job with the toc that had lesser scores, less comprehensive interview and less tests, got job with a toc with a more difficult and comprehensive process. Did i think i was discriminated by toc one .. NO, did i wonder, yes crossed my mind. My point was Just that i can understand why some posters might feel that way, not that i think they are right. However we do not live in a perfect utopia, as we see in Hollywood, sexism, in say a famous broadcast company, gender pay bias. But judging by some posters on here , no driver managers have ever used discrimanatory measures during an interview process, really they are the only group in the world, where at least one isnt discrimanatory .

Ok going back to the beginning then ..... why would failing an interview immediately put the thoughts of discrimination in people’s heads? Why can you understand it?

That kind of reaction in the first place says more about the candidates personality than anything else. Looking at the sheer paranoia and cynicism on display on here it actually makes me think that they have far more pressing things to worry about than discrimination!

I don’t know these people but it’s safe to say that if a sniff of these negative personality traits came across in an interview then sod discrimination! I’d say it’s more a manager trying to keep his/her team positive!

At a former toc we had a guy who came In every day whinging and moaning about how the world was against him and how the system was corrupt and conspired to hold him back! To the point other people would get up and leave!

If people can’t hold their hands up and admit they’re wrong, that they’ve fallen short, that they’ve made a mistake without it being a conspiracy or someone else’s fault then They won’t last long on the railway anyway.

Maybe there are driver managers that use discriminatory tactics but then again maybe their aren’t! I just don’t feel that failing an interview then spouting conspiracy with no actual evidence in a public forum is the way to do it!

Being trigger happy on social media like some have done on here has got no end of people in bother! I just don’t feel that people questioning the integrity of others already employed in an industry they’re desperate to get into will do them any favours!....as a manager I certainly wouldn’t infect me team with that character trait no matter how high a score they got in relation to the questions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
It’s interesting how many questions are about the relation with your colleagues, and the cases when these put you in some kind of critical position, someone asking for a swap to see her ill father, etc. They’re definitely looking for someone who fits well in their team...

It's not quite that simple. If the question is something like "you are feeling tired but your friend asks you to swap shifts so she can see her ill father etc", then I think the reason for the swap is a red herring, the key part of the question is that you are feeling tired and therefore should not be doing the shift. It's not about doing whatever is asked of you to try and look like a helpful individual, it is about following rules and regulations, even if that makes you unpopular.

Cheggers

Just putting his out there. Failed online assessment last week. Received email today from the OPC Manager saying they have reviewed the online test and found I had actually passed the test and have sent me the logon details to do Stage two of the online tests. I, like many of you, went with safety and regulations/ procedures on the test.

sw1ller

Established Member
Just putting his out there. Failed online assessment last week. Received email today from the OPC Manager saying they have reviewed the online test and found I had actually passed the test and have sent me the logon details to do Stage two of the online tests. I, like many of you, went with safety and regulations/ procedures on the test.

Bet that was a nice surprise. Good luck on stage two.

At a former toc we had a guy who came In every day whinging and moaning about how the world was against him and how the system was corrupt and conspired to hold him back! To the point other people would get up and leave!

That could have been anyone!! Haha

Hope the new jobs going well.

Chris Ghess

Same here. Anyone know the name of these second stage tests? I'd like to download some practice tests as ive already done the sample ones provided and its futile repeating them as ive memorized where the errors are.

Just to clarify im referring to the tests involving the rectangles following the pattern and then the lettered version were you have two sets of 4 letters and you need to check to see if both sets have the same letters.

Last edited:

brittney

Initial questionaire passed. I got emailed the mock and online test today.

brittney

Same here. Anyone know the name of these second stage tests? I'd like to download some practice tests as ive already done the sample ones provided and its futile repeating them as ive memorized where the errors are.

Just to clarify im referring to the tests involving the rectangles following the pattern and then the lettered version were you have two sets of 4 letters and you need to check to see if both sets have the same letters.

The names in the email if I recall correctly

Techno77

There was 2 different deadlines - 02/03/18 (Virgin) and 04/03/18 @ 11:30pm (The OPC).
I wonder why?
Lack of attention to detail maybe?

Techno77

Apparently Virgin Trains requires even higher enhanced scores on Group Bourdon test than Arriva Rail London and MTR Crossrail ...
Oh, boy ... good luck everyone!

Dot2018

Anyone been to the assessment centre yet? (i.e. stage 1 tests) how did it go?

Last edited:

monty9120

i got an email too

on my email it says if you have passed the tests with another toc they will know. and you may not have to do them on the day. it didnt specify a timescale i did all the group tests with london midland 5 year and 1 month ago

Thedispatcher

I had testing with a different TOC and OPC told me I couldn’t progress as I needed enhanced level pass marks, and then I was told that I should apply for one job at a time. So I’m out.

Cheggers

How did you all get on at the assessment centre? I withdrew as had assessment dates through for my own TOC.

monty9120

Found it ok.

Few tests I’m not sure on like the beep test and the memory test

I can’t remember if I counted the first beep as level one or not lol

Dot2018

Thought I did alright. My worst one seemed to be TRP Part 1, I maybe got 3 or 4 out of 18 wrong and am uncertain if this will be good enough. What do people think?

Swayed

Thought I did alright. My worst one seemed to be TRP Part 1, I maybe got 3 or 4 out of 18 wrong and am uncertain if this will be good enough. What do people think?

Just sat these tests too, the TRP Part 1 is the area I feel least confident in too and yet I felt I did really well on TRP 2 and the other areas as well. I suppose you can never really tell tho!!

Dot2018

Just sat these tests too, the TRP Part 1 is the area I feel least confident in too and yet I felt I did really well on TRP 2 and the other areas as well. I suppose you can never really tell tho!!
I feel exactly the same. I got to the end of part 2 with about 20 seconds to spare. Wasn't expecting that as I think it gives you only about 11 seconds per question.

Status
Not open for further replies.