• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyager Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamS

I'm currently on this train - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C10741/2014/04/30 220023

The train manager has announced that there is a computer problem on the train. We came to a halt very quickly and the entire train was shut down (this one is a double set).

It's eerily quiet with the engines off.

I just thought this might interest some forum members.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
Seems like its Job stopped completely. Both units may get rescued, and pax shoved onto the next train north

Last edited:

eastend43

I'm on a Pendolino just left Preston.it was delayed there as the PA system had to be rebooted, involving a total shutdown. Probably just coincidence

Jones

Odd, a voyager I was on Monday kept saying " we are now approaching" randomly.

Got annoying after a while.

Coincidently, there were about 12 Virgin staff in First taking turns to make announcements. All got off at Chester.

Strange journey. :D

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Odd, a voyager I was on Monday kept saying " we are now approaching" randomly.
Got annoying after a while.
Coincidently, there were about 12 Virgin staff in First taking turns to make announcements. All got off at Chester.
Strange journey. :D

There's a recent tendency to hear on Voyagers: "This train is for (blank). The next stop is (blank)".
And also announcing "This is the train for London Euston" before you have even reached the platform at Chester on the incoming service...

Generally, the quality of on-board displays and announcements all round (not just VT) seems to be falling.
And TOCs have taken absolutely no notice of Norman Baker's exhortation to cut unnecessary announcements on trains and at stations.

Jones

There's a recent tendency to hear on Voyagers: "This train is for (blank). The next stop is (blank)".
And also announcing "This is the train for London Euston" before you have even reached the platform at Chester on the incoming service...

Generally, the quality of on-board displays and announcements all round (not just VT) seems to be falling.

And before Chester it's announced as "Ester" :D

route:oxford

Established Member

It depends on the turnaround time of course, but surely the reservations and so forth need to be loaded before the first passenger boards?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Saw on a Youtube vid once that the Voyagers use Windows CE so maybe Windows is starting to fail.

With the train the OP was on, could they not manually uncouple them, set the working one into a "rescue" mode and then push/drag the failed one to the next station, then take all the passengers off the failed one, get a few (if any room) on the working one and send the working one on its way?

SamS

In the end it was a failure of the rear brakes on the rear unit.

It ran until Leeds where it terminated and all passengers were told to get the 18:07 to Glasgow Central which wasn't far behind, it was then running empty to York but it wasn't safe enough for passengers to travel on it. The units were actually uncoupled at Leeds and left in opposite directions, I noticed the outside displays next to the doors were scrolling across "Please do not attempt to board this train".

I have to say full marks to the two train managers who were keeping us constantly informed of the progress

I was in first class so it wasn't so bad, but there were an awful lot of people waiting for the next train.

Rich McLean

Established Member

It ran until Leeds where it terminated and all passengers were told to get the 18:07 to Glasgow Central which wasn't far behind, it was then running empty to York but it wasn't safe enough for passengers to travel on it. The units were actually uncoupled at Leeds and left in opposite directions, I noticed the outside displays next to the doors were scrolling across "Please do not attempt to board this train".

I have to say full marks to the two train managers who were keeping us constantly informed of the progress

I was in first class so it wasn't so bad, but there were an awful lot of people waiting for the next train.

The following train would have been a HST, but I imagine still a bit of a squeeze

I had a similar experience on a 222 leaving London once. We left London and progressed to West Hampstead very slowly, where we stopped. We were then told of a technical fault on the train which required the unit to be completely shut down and started again. I later found out that this was a fault with the speedo! After the train was restarted we progressed en-route no problems at all.

BestWestern

Established Member
Isn't modern rolling stock wonderful!? Sorry, did I say wonderful?! I meant to say needlessly overcomplex, unreliable b*llox...

A 'reboot', and the inevitable ensuing delays, because of a fault with a speedo, or even the PA. Oh dear oh dear. I wonder how much drastically cheaper and therefore more obtainable new rail vehicles might be if it was permissible to operate trains which just did the job, leaving the endless technocrap behind? Just a thought!

Last edited:

Isn't modern rolling stock wonderful!? Sorry, did I say wonderful?! I meant to say needlessly overcomplex, unreliable b*llox...

A 'reboot', and the inevitable ensuing delays, because of a fault with a speedo, or even the PA. Oh dear oh dear. I wonder how much drastically cheaper and therefore more obtainable new rail vehicles might be if it was permissible to operate trains which just did the job, leaving the endless technocrap behind? Just a thought!

Modern stock is very reliable I think you will find. The newer it is the more reliable if you look at the figures... (generally that is - lets forget the 180s :P).

plastictaffy

Shut 'em down and "reboot"?? Load of cack. Give me a 321 any day. It's broken. Kick it. No joy?? Kick it a bit harder somewhere else. Still no joy?? Apply some verbal lubrication, and kick again. Still no joy?? Failure.

Minilad

Established Member
So. Lets me get this right. Some people think stopping, shutting down, restarting and clearing the fault and getting going again is worse than sitting down in the middle of nowhere and declaring a failure.

Righty oh then

Crossover

Established Member

I suspect the good unit went off to York and the demic went off towards one of the depots (possibly all the way to Central Rivers)

I had a similar experience on a 222 leaving London once. We left London and progressed to West Hampstead very slowly, where we stopped. We were then told of a technical fault on the train which required the unit to be completely shut down and started again. I later found out that this was a fault with the speedo! After the train was restarted we progressed en-route no problems at all.

I had it on Pendolino Decade of Progress (very apt) where we got to Coventry and without warning everything shut down - when it all came back up and on the way again, we were issued an apology that the wholeunit had to be rebooted due to the PA not wanting to work

So. Lets me get this right. Some people think stopping, shutting down, restarting and clearing the fault and getting going again is worse than sitting down in the middle of nowhere and declaring a failure.

Righty oh then

I think the main gripe is that computers can occasionally add additional complications to matters, and the old "kick it" doesn't work quite so well. Of course, I imagine that mile for mile, the rate of total "sit downs" is much better than it used to be when a failure tended to be just that.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I think the main gripe is that computers can occasionally add additional complications to matters, and the old "kick it" doesn't work quite so well. Of course, I imagine that mile for mile, the rate of total "sit downs" is much better than it used to be when a failure tended to be just that.

It's the same for anything though - even modern cars are prone to ECU problems & failures (although very rare, I've been unfortunate to have one). Everything with a computer is prone to failure but the reason the internet doesn't collapse is multi-redundancy - it can be expensive and complex which may be why n+1 systems are probably not installed on trains (I don't know if they are or not).

Crossover

Established Member
It's the same for anything though - even modern cars are prone to ECU problems & failures (although very rare, I've been unfortunate to have one). Everything with a computer is prone to failure but the reason the internet doesn't collapse is multi-redundancy - it can be expensive and complex which may be why n+1 systems are probably not installed on trains (I don't know if they are or not).

Agreed - I work in IT so I know what it is like - always a running joke that turning it off and back on again sorts the problem!

SamS

The following train would have been a HST, but I imagine still a bit of a squeeze
Yes it was a HST, I'm unsure how packed it was as I was in First Class, but going by how many were on the platform I can imagine it was. First class was the busiest I've seen it on a HST though and they didn't check any tickets.

I suspect the good unit went off to York and the demic went off towards one of the depots (possibly all the way to Central Rivers)
Thanks, I didn't realise it would go that far given the fault, I was wondering where in York they would have taken it.
I notice that a Dundee service was re-started at York (I assume with the good front unit).

I have to say I was surprised when it all shut down the WiFi remained on and working, the sockets understandably didn't.

All in all I've been travelling several times a week with Cross Country between York and Sheffield since September and this is the first major incident I've encountered, there's been the odd delay here and there, but never a fault whilst I've been on board.

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks, I didn't realise it would go that far given the fault, I was wondering where in York they would have taken it.
I notice that a Dundee service was re-started at York (I assume with the good front unit).

I have to say I was surprised when it all shut down the WiFi remained on and working, the sockets understandably didn't.

All in all I've been travelling several times a week with Cross Country between York and Sheffield since September and this is the first major incident I've encountered, there's been the odd delay here and there, but never a fault whilst I've been on board.

Just been having a gander - your service was 1S49 and terminated short

I cannot find an ECS in the system to York (nor am I sure why it wasn't started at Leeds - maybe a lack of crew?)

1Z49 was the replacement from York to Dundee, and ran to amended timings

5D23 was a VSTP path, and I can only work out that this was the demic unit - it went all the way to Barton Under Needwood - a.k.a. Central Rivers - so my thought seems to be correct (and inkeeping with one leaving Leeds Southbound). I guess a faulty brake on one bogie isn't seen as serious enough when out of passenger service and Central Rivers is the maintenance location for Voyagers, so they'd be able to deal with it

Last edited:

SamS

What you've found seems to be correct, the failed unit did leave at the time as given on Real Time Trains, not sure if it helps but the front one left a short time after.
They were having trouble getting interlock (I believe that's what it's called) on one of the doors on the failed unit, but I can only assume they decided it didn't matter as there were no passengers on board.

I'm not sure what would happen to the crew, I know the first class host was going to York to presumably continue on to Edinburgh as that is where the catering crew for the rear unit is based, with the front being a Newcastle crew.

Crossover

Established Member
What you've found seems to be correct, the failed unit did leave at the time as given on Real Time Trains, not sure if it helps but the front one left a short time after.
They were having trouble getting interlock (I believe that's what it's called) on one of the doors on the failed unit, but I can only assume they decided it didn't matter as there were no passengers on board.

I'm not sure what would happen to the crew, I know the first class host was going to York to presumably continue on to Edinburgh as that is where the catering crew for the rear unit is based, with the front being a Newcastle crew.

RTT seems to not show any working to York that I can see, which is odd.
I was going to say maybe a guard was the issue, but I can't have seen the guard going back on the failed unit to Central Rivers, so who knows.

Fairly certain they will have had to sort the interlock on the doors - partially failed or not, the train wouldn't be going anywhere otherwise

The newer it is the more reliable if you look at the figures...

But is that because the most reliable stock was so old that it's been withdrawn? :) Of course some things break down more because they're old, but I seem to remember reading a few years ago that the 3rd-rail slam-door units were then among the most reliable stock in the country, presumably because they didn't have much to go wrong. Will today's modern trains still be that reliable when they're approaching 40 years old, I wonder?

BestWestern

Established Member
Minilad:1782905 said:

Righty oh then

No, you misunderstand. I'll explain.

Some people think that it is rather a joke when the on board computer system can take it upon itself to deem something as fundamentally simple as a public address system or a speedometer to be userviceable. They also think it rather daft that said tantrum can be mysteriously 'cured' by stopping the train, quite possibly in the middle of nowhere, potentially on a main line, probably at significant inconvenience to that particular part of the railway network, and 'switching it off', as though this multi-million pound lump of supposedly cutting edge technology were a troublesome minor household appliance.

Those same silly people may very well also think it laughable that such technically unimpressive things as meagre BR-built trains from the 1980s, with their pathetic lack of computers and electrical gadgetry, would never suffer such problems, and would simply have done exactly the same job day in day out, with no such drama, as indeed basic railway rolling stock managed to do for decade after decade, before somebody decided that everything would be so much better if it was controlled by astonishingly reliable Windows computers.

But of course, those foolish people obviously live in the dark ages...

Last edited:

TheKnightWho

Established Member
No, you misunderstand. I'll explain.

Some people think that it is rather a joke when the on board computer system can take it upon itself to deem something as fundamentally simple as a public address system or a speedometer to be userviceable. They also think it rather daft that said tantrum can be mysteriously 'cured' by stopping the train, quite possibly in the middle of nowhere, potentially on a main line, probably at significant inconvenience to that particular part of the railway network, and 'switching it off', as though this multi-million pound lump of supposedly cutting edge technology were a troublesome minor household appliance.

Those same silly people may very well also think it laughable that such technically unimpressive things as meagre BR-built trains from the 1980s, with their pathetic lack of computers and electrical gadgetry, would never suffer such problems, and would simply have done exactly the same job day in day out, with no such drama, as indeed basic railway rolling stock managed to do for decade after decade, before somebody decided that everything would be so much better if it was controlled by astonishingly reliable Windows computers.

But of course, those foolish people obviously live in the dark ages...

Yet those silly people never think about all those faults which those 1980s trains suffer from that never crop up in modern trains due to computers. But, you know, confirmation bias is easier than actually thinking about it for a second, because it's funny how modern trains have lower failure rates than older trains had even when they were new.

Do you really think they'd shove in computers just to make it more complex because they felt like it?

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
181:1783174 said:
The newer it is the more reliable if you look at the figures...

But is that because the most reliable stock was so old that it's been withdrawn? :) Of course some things break down more because they're old, but I seem to remember reading a few years ago that the 3rd-rail slam-door units were then among the most reliable stock in the country, presumably because they didn't have much to go wrong. Will today's modern trains still be that reliable when they're approaching 40 years old, I wonder?

Spot on. Anybody who worked for Southern when the Electrostars first turned up will tell you all about how reliable modern stock is!

The 'Slammers, are about the best example of why basic is often better, but there are plenty of others. A ride from A to B on a new generation EMU is better than a 'Slammer why? Smoother ride, sure. Cumfier coaches, sure (unless you're of the many who far preferred the proper seats in a MK1 to the slabs in a Desiro, but that's another issue). Power doors, yup. Aircon and decent heating, definitely. And that's pretty much it really. So, how much of that acually requires a supercomputer to work? Umm....none of it. So why don't we have a stab at building some trains which are simpler, lighter and less prone to 'mind of its own' computer glitches?!

TheKnightWho:1783304 said:
Yet those silly people never think about all those faults which those 1980s trains suffer from that never crop up in modern trains due to computers. But, you know, confirmation bias is easier than actually thinking about it for a second, because it's funny how modern trains have lower failure rates than older trains had even when they were new.

Do you really think they'd shove in computers just to make it more complex because they felt like it?

No. I really think they shove in computers because we live in an age where a certain faction has conditioned industry into thinking that everything simply must run off enormously complex computers which cost millions and ultimately offer the same end result that was once achieved without them.

There was a time, not so long ago, when people could service their cars on their driveway. But then the motor manufacturers decided that everything needed to have a computer in it, which nobody but the chosen few could possibly comprehend, and so now we have a generation of cars which cost a small fortune every time you need to open the bonnet, and which will grind to a shuddering halt whenever the manufacturer decides that it's time to stop offering support because everybody should have thrown away their disposable car and bought a new one by now. Did you see the reports in the news about how Microsoft have helpfully decided to cease supporting the particular version of Windows that half the world's businesses apparently seem to still be using, provoking mass panic and seemingly likely to result in much cash swiftly heading their way in the form of bespoke support packages?! Oh yes, the computer-dependant world is fantastic, isn't it?!

Anyway, back on topic... Please enlighten me with a huge list of faults that a Pacer or a 150 wouldn't suffer if only there was a ton of computer stuffed into it?!

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
There was a time, not so long ago, when people could service their cars on their driveway. But then the motor manufacturers decided that everything needed to have a computer in it, which nobody but the chosen few could possibly comprehend, and so now we have a generation of cars which cost a small fortune every time you need to open the bonnet, and which will grind to a shuddering halt whenever the manufacturer decides that it's time to stop offering support because everybody should have thrown away their disposable car and bought a new one by now.
There was also a time when cars didn't get 30+ mpg.
Did you see the reports in the news about how Microsoft have helpfully decided to cease supporting the particular version of Windows that half the world's businesses apparently seem to still be using, provoking mass panic and seemingly likely to result in much cash swiftly heading their way in the form of bespoke support packages?!
Totally off topic, but Microsoft didn't just wake up one morning and 'decide' to stop supporting Windows XP. The end of support date has been known and published for five or more years - it's not their fault that businesses decided to ignore it.

Emyr

Windows CE might look like XP, but it's not the same product, and doesn't have the same support lifecycle.

I'd rather my train ran Linux, like most of the internet, home routers, settop boxes, Android smartphones, fridges...

Status
Not open for further replies.