• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales & Borders Franchise Consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathew S

Established Member
So there has been no actual or real research into the pronunciation, other than a few local surveys.
Sad, sad person that I am having nothing better to do this afternoon... I've just checked the style/pronunciation guide we use in work. Guess what... no mention of the geographical locality concerned. Fortunately, we have a department who handle such queries, and I'm told on the phone that it's Shrewsbury as in Shrew. That said, frankly, who gives a ****.

Edit: a quick Google also reveals a Shropshire star survey where 81 percent agree with that. The history of the name (Scrobbers-town, or Scrubber's town) is actually quite interesting and relates to local mythology. Worth reading up on if you're into local history. It is, however, bog all to do with railways... so I shall end here and hope we get back on topic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
It is, however, bog all to do with railways... so I shall end here and hope we get back on topic.

The original point was a suggestion the new franchise would have Welsh language announcements at all stations including ones in England, so my response was fix the incorrect English pronunciations before they start attempting doing them in another language.

Mathew S

Established Member
The original point was a suggestion the new franchise would have Welsh language announcements at all stations including ones in England, so my response was fix the incorrect English pronunciations before they start attempting doing them in another language.
Sorry, yes, of course, that's very much on topic (though I'm guessing the Welsh Government might disagree). I was meaning that debating specific pronunciations like Shrewsbury, Bache, Llandudno, etc. perhaps is not so much :)

eisenach

Wales and West under Chris Gibb reintroduced Marches to Bristol and beyond services - there were 3 a day up until the Wales and Borders franchise- the SRA was in its "clean and tidy franchise boundary phase" and pretending rail use was going to go into decline so there was "no future for them" despite them being well used.

There was also for a while a Manchester (I think) to Waterloo service via the Marches to connect with Eurostar. I took a bunch of school kids on it from Leominster on to the Gare du Nord for our school exchange visit. Very handy it was, too.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There was also for a while a Manchester (I think) to Waterloo service via the Marches to connect with Eurostar. I took a bunch of school kids on it from Leominster on to the Gare du Nord for our school exchange visit. Very handy it was, too.

You are correct, there was.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

Waterloo, Portsmouth & Penzance were the 3 destinations beyond Bristol. My point is raising the issue of Marches to Bristol and my earlier Post #1572 is the vacuum in any strategic thinking about how we can connect the major city regions in the UK to each other. Were having a franchise vaccum process where its all navel gazing from the Welsh Government who view the Marches as something to send their fantasy hourly service to Holyhead to subsidised by the higher fare income paid by the people of Hereford and Shropshire.

Liverpool to Bristol is change at Stafford/Wolverhampton/New St at the moment for instance would a two hourly service between the two via the Marches be more in the interest of UK Plc?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
My understanding is the correct pronunciation is Shroosbury but the BBC in Birmingham for years insisted it was Shrowsbury which led to a mispronunciation being commonplace.

Research has gone back many many years and no definitive answer has been found. Both are right and neither is wrong. Anyway, I refer to it as Amwythig which is pronounced as it's spelt.

Parallel

Established Member
I’ve never heard the Bache (the Bache is how it’s locally known) being announced at Chester. How do they pronounce it??

The announcements have been corrected and now say ‘Baytch’.

When ATW make additional calls at Sandbach, this is pronounced by the system as Sandback - which I presume needs correcting too.

I don’t see anything wrong with how Shrewsbury is said, other than them missing the end of sentence recording so the announcement would say “Chirk, Gobowen and ShrewsbURY...”

eisenach

I don’t see anything wrong with how Shrewsbury is said, other than them missing the end of sentence recording so the announcement would say “Chirk, Gobowen and ShrewsbURY...”

I travelled from Cardiff to Leominster on Wednesday. The onboard station call announcements, with the upward interrogative inflection at the end, made it sound extremely doubtful as whether the train would really make it to Manchester PiccadILLY.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
However if a train carries large numbers of standing passengers for parts of its journey, then a layout with large vestibules at one and two thirds is far more comfortable for both standees and those seated. Transpennine is a classic example and the 170s used on Cardiff-Nottingham are another, as they effectively function as commuter services for Birmingham.
I agree that the suburban layout is better for standees, but my point is that TOCs should be trying to avoid ANY standees on all services other than surbuban services with frequent stops. Thus, if they were doing their job properly, there would be no standees on regional express services and thus the suburban door layout is not good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even for London Waterloo the Passengers In Excess Of Capacity targets do not include any standing allowance for services with over 20 minutes between stops. On the Cardiff-Nottingham, Cheltenham to (University) Birmingham is over 30 minutes and Birmingham to Tamworth is 20 minutes, so apart from between University and New Street there shouldn't really be any standees. Similarly the fast TPE services, calling only at Huddersfield between Leeds and Manchester, are plenty fast enough to make the new mark 5 coaches and class 800s the right choice in my view (and with four of those fast trips an hour, 185s on the slow services should be easy enough to avoid for passengers who want to use the more intercity-style stock). There are stops closer together than 20 minutes on the Swansea-Manchester services, but I still think they are longer than TOCs should really be expecting pepole to stand.

A problem with making Manchester services 'Intercity' is there's a lack of paths for an additional semi-fast, so having an express to Cardiff and a semi-fast to Shrewsbury probably wouldn't work. Would a Shrewsbury-Hereford semi-fast be an option?
Good point; when I said that some of the Manchesters could become 'INTERCITY', I meant in terms of on-board facilities (justified by passenger numbers) in the form of first class and a buffet (like Gerald). In terms of the calling pattern, I think they are stuck as 'regional express'; fast where they can be but calling at Ludlow and Leominster because there's not enough slower services over that section.

The NR Wales Route plan for the Marches is to accommodate 2 "fast" train paths per hour between Shrewsbury and Newport with one freight path per hour along with a one "slow" passenger path per hour between Shrewsbury and Craven Arms and one "slow" passenger path per hour between Abergavenny and Newport.
I still think that southern 'slow' path needs to be extended north to Hereford, which would allow passengers from the stopper to reach Birmingham and Oxford (via Worcester) with just one change at Hereford, and possibly allow the Manchesters to drop the Abergavenny stop. Are there any plans for a turnback at Craven Arms, and/or some additional double track on the northern end of the Heart Of Wales Line to accomodate the hourly stopping service north of Craven Arms?

A Swiss Taktarfhplan style service would see an hourly Manchester to Swansea Regional Express service and an hourly Crewe to Cardiff stopper as the optimum for the route.
Either that, or the Manchester-Swansea with an hourly Cardiff-Shrewsbury or Cardiff-Chester instead of the Cardiff-Crewe is what I'd suggest (unlike Holyhead, through links between Wrexham and Cardiff might be important enough for an hourly service, but that makes a neat half-hourly pattern b***** difficult to fit round the Birmingham-Wrexham service given that and the Manchester are probably both fixed paths). Would dropping the freight path six times a day (3 each way) allow 3 'national unity' Holyhead-Cardiff expresses per day to fit down the marches alongside the fast Manchester and slower Crewe/Shrewsbury/Chester-Cardiff services?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I travelled from Cardiff to Leominster on Wednesday. The onboard station call announcements, with the upward interrogative inflection at the end, made it sound extremely doubtful as whether the train would really make it to Manchester PiccadILLY.

HOLYhead is another oddity...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I agree that the suburban layout is better for standees, but my point is that TOCs should be trying to avoid ANY standees on all services other than surbuban services with frequent stops. Thus, if they were doing their job properly, there would be no standees on regional express services and thus the suburban door layout is not good.

You and the rest of us may wish that so, but in the real world it isn't. The door layout is ideal for what actually exists, not what you hope might someday be...

Parallel

Established Member
Even without standees, doors at thirds are better for moving through the train (boarding and alighting) and so better suit regional express services with more stops.
I find that when a 150 turns up on Cardiff - Portsmouth, standing passengers block the doors first and are fairly reluctant to move down inside the carriages, compared to 158s where most move down inside the carriages and the doors are usually the last to be blocked.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That may be because the aisle is so narrow on a 150 (or anything else) fitted with 3+2 seating. But the vestibules of the 150 probably hold more standing passengers than the aisle of a 158, and make it easier for other people to get past them too.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

gareth950

The latest installment in how the Welsh Government is wasting all its transport budget on unnecessary roads.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/fears-12bn-bill-just-12-13923598

Now what could you do with £1.2 Billion on the railways in Wales instead?

All depressingly very familiar. Especially this section:

"Official analysis of the widening is based on the estimated construction cost.

It shows that for every £1 spent on the scheme, there would be benefits of £1.05. This is just about enough to classify the scheme as “low” value for money, according to Treasury rules on managing public money. Any scheme with benefits below £1 for each £1 spent is classed as “poor” value."

HH

Established Member
All depressingly very familiar. Especially this section:

"Official analysis of the widening is based on the estimated construction cost.

It shows that for every £1 spent on the scheme, there would be benefits of £1.05. This is just about enough to classify the scheme as “low” value for money, according to Treasury rules on managing public money. Any scheme with benefits below £1 for each £1 spent is classed as “poor” value."
When I see a figure just above £1 I know, from experience, that this figure has been manipulated into a positive number to satisfy a political imperative. That is to say politicians have decided this has to happen and figures have been produced to justify their position.

Dai Corner

Established Member

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I agree that the suburban layout is better for standees, but my point is that TOCs should be trying to avoid ANY standees on all services other than surbuban services with frequent stops. Thus, if they were doing their job properly, there would be no standees on regional express services and thus the suburban door layout is not good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even for London Waterloo the Passengers In Excess Of Capacity targets do not include any standing allowance for services with over 20 minutes between stops. On the Cardiff-Nottingham, Cheltenham to (University) Birmingham is over 30 minutes and Birmingham to Tamworth is 20 minutes, so apart from between University and New Street there shouldn't really be any standees. Similarly the fast TPE services, calling only at Huddersfield between Leeds and Manchester, are plenty fast enough to make the new mark 5 coaches and class 800s the right choice in my view (and with four of those fast trips an hour, 185s on the slow services should be easy enough to avoid for passengers who want to use the more intercity-style stock). There are stops closer together than 20 minutes on the Swansea-Manchester services, but I still think they are longer than TOCs should really be expecting pepole to stand.

There are no PIXC targets for regional services - I would be somewhat surprised if the new XC franchise keeps 170's on all their long distance InterCity services. TransPennine have set a template to follow.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Good point; when I said that some of the Manchesters could become '[I said:
INTERCITY[/I]', I meant in terms of on-board facilities (justified by passenger numbers) in the form of first class and a buffet (like Gerald). In terms of the calling pattern, I think they are stuck as 'regional express'; fast where they can be but calling at Ludlow and Leominster because there's not enough slower services over that section.

Either that, or the Manchester-Swansea with an hourly Cardiff-Shrewsbury or Cardiff-Chester instead of the Cardiff-Crewe is what I'd suggest (unlike Holyhead, through links between Wrexham and Cardiff might be important enough for an hourly service, but that makes a neat half-hourly pattern b***** difficult to fit round the Birmingham-Wrexham service given that and the Manchester are probably both fixed paths). Would dropping the freight path six times a day (3 each way) allow 3 'national unity' Holyhead-Cardiff expresses per day to fit down the marches alongside the fast Manchester and slower Crewe/Shrewsbury/Chester-Cardiff services?

I think modern frequency expectations and the reality of the modern day longer distance commuter market have probably done for the full blown InterCity type service on what were classed as Secondary Mains or Regional Railways Express routes. If there were half a dozen or so trains a day then maybe. With an hourly frequency theirs resource issues - you need 9 diagrams for an hourly Swansea to Manchester Regional Express service. If you were doing it with half a dozen a day or so IC trains 4 diagrams would suffice. Also at peak times you will have commuters using it as an express service from Piccadily to Stockport/Wilmslow/Crewe and there's pressure from places like Nantwich and Whitchurch (Shrops) to have direct trains to Piccadily which means there stopping 5 times in 45 miles. The same happens at the other end as far out as Abergavenny. Theirs also a considerable traffic in school/college students from Ludlow/Leominster into Hereford mid journey spread over a number of services.

Having traveled in First Class on TransPennine 185's I think that is a good compromise those want to pay a premium can have a secluded area along the route as long as their 4 coaches long there's 3 and a bit carriages of standard accommodation which will have space in it off peak and be able to cater for the commuter flows.

pemma

Veteran Member
Having traveled in First Class on TransPennine 185's I think that is a good compromise those want to pay a premium can have a secluded area along the route as long as their 4 coaches long there's 3 and a bit carriages of standard accommodation which will have space in it off peak and be able to cater for the commuter flows.

TPE certainly don't have 4 car 185s. The SRA prevented them taking up the option for 4th cars. The 350s have 4 cars but as they have short carriages they only have around 10m additional length per set.

pemma

Veteran Member
When I see a figure just above £1 I know, from experience, that this figure has been manipulated into a positive number to satisfy a political imperative. That is to say politicians have decided this has to happen and figures have been produced to justify their position.

Don't Network Rail ignore any proposals which don't deliver at least £2.50 of benefit for every £1 spent, unless politicians force them to deliver the proposal e.g. Borders railway?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I still think that southern 'slow' path needs to be extended north to Hereford, which would allow passengers from the stopper to reach Birmingham and Oxford (via Worcester) with just one change at Hereford, and possibly allow the Manchesters to drop the Abergavenny stop. Are there any plans for a turnback at Craven Arms, and/or some additional double track on the northern end of the Heart Of Wales Line to accomodate the hourly stopping service north of Craven Arms?

Abergavenny is the busiest intermediate station on the route that's not a junction station with other operators/lines using it. Its a Category D stations with in excess of 400K per annum footfall. The logic of missing it out escapes me. The South Wales Metro promises 4 tph from Head of the Valleys towns a similar distance from Cardiff. Thats only going to happen for Abergavenny/Cwmbran etc if a local stopper and the longer distance trains stop there.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
TPE certainly don't have 4 car 185s. The SRA prevented them taking up the option for 4th cars. The 350s have 4 cars but as they have short carriages they only have around 10m additional length per set.

see previous posts about reforming the to be off lease 22 sets as 11 4 car sets for MAN to SWA and 11 2 car sets for local services along Marches.

Gareth Marston

Established Member

I saw enough internally when I worked for Welsh Government to know decisions are not made based on rational statistical analysis. Teddy coming out the Ministers pram was not unheard off.....

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
It's interesting to note the Welsh Labour Government are considering a PFI deal. Presumably they haven't got the memo from Mr McDonnel's office?

Car-whinge is very much New Labour in his attitude. I know best anyone who questions is "off message" even if its the National Executive in London. Though it does smack of desperation as there road building dreams seem to be falling apart.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
[snip] unnecessary roads [snip]Now what could you do with £1.2 Billion on the railways in Wales instead?
Would it stretch to four-tracking Cardiff-Bridgend and installing OHLE?

I think modern frequency expectations and the reality of the modern day longer distance commuter market have probably done for the full blown InterCity type service on what were classed as Secondary Mains or Regional Railways Express routes. If there were half a dozen or so trains a day then maybe. With an hourly frequency theirs resource issues - you need 9 diagrams for an hourly Swansea to Manchester Regional Express service. If you were doing it with half a dozen a day or so IC trains 4 diagrams would suffice.
When I was talking about some INTERCITY on the Manchesters, what I was suggesting was to pick out a few diagrams to provide first class and a buffet on two or three services each way, and leave the rest of the Manchester services in the hands of 175s, 158s or similar.

Abergavenny is the busiest intermediate station on the route that's not a junction station with other operators/lines using it. Its a Category D stations with in excess of 400K per annum footfall. The logic of missing it out escapes me.
The logic is that, if you are trying to speed up the Manchesters, there is an hourly Cardiff-Crewe/Chester/Shrewsbury service and, in my suggestion, a Cardiff-Hereford stopper to provide Abergavenny with a 2tph service without needing the Manchester services to call.

The South Wales Metro promises 4 tph from Head of the Valleys towns a similar distance from Cardiff. Thats only going to happen for Abergavenny/Cwmbran etc if a local stopper and the longer distance trains stop there.
I didn't think that 4tph aim applied to the outer routes of the Metro (Maesteg/Ebbw/Chepstow/Abergavenny), only the services through Cardiff Queen Street. Even with everything calling, Abergavenny would only get 3tph (one to Manchester (non-stop from Newport to Abergavenny), the all-stations to Hereford and a semi-fast (calling at all the current stops, but not Caerleon if it happens) to Shrewsbury/Wrexham/Chester/Crewe).

I don't see 4tph being possible even to Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr/Rhymney unless none of the proposed new routes happen because 4tph from each of those four Heads Of The Valleys alone would use the entire 16tph capacity between Cardiff Queen Street and Cardiff Central.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
see previous posts about reforming the to be off lease 22 sets as 11 4 car sets for MAN to SWA and 11 2 car sets for local services along Marches.

That doesn't mean it's technically possible to do and even if it is the 2 car sets wouldn't contain that many seats for a 46m train even if you removed First Class and some of the table bays.

Status
Not open for further replies.