• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking into First Class carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

table38

Established Member
Since the widespread introduction of advance fares though, First Class is much more affordable.

It's true. I was sat on a Voyager in First, watching a young lady with two young kids who ran up and down screaming and managed to tread biscuits into the carpet in the way that only kids can.

I was gleefully awaiting their eviction by the approaching guard with forlorn hope as it turned out they all had First tickets :)

Also screaming babies are making more of an appearance :cry:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
It's true. I was sat on a Voyager in First, watching a young lady with two young kids who ran up and down screaming and managed to tread biscuits into the carpet in the way that only kids can.

I was gleefully awaiting their eviction by the approaching guard with forlorn hope as it turned out they all had First tickets :)

Also screaming babies are making more of an appearance :cry:

Yep - they don't need a ticket. £20 for a child ticket on east coast with rewards (perfect).

I did used to put the baby near the power car (in vestibule) when screaming.

Brucey

Going off at a little tangent. Do you get plain clothed RPI and what do the use for ID?

They will either wear a lanyard or have a card in a wallet. On The Tube TV programme, the LU staff had their ID cards in a wallet when doing inspections.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Exactly the same right as someone has to refuse to show it to him? In other words, he has a right to ask, but ha sno right to see it! :D
True! :D However the aforementioned risk of a black eye doing that sort of thing is quite high. In any case, if the papers have been left by previous passengers then it's not stealing either.
Going off at a little tangent. Do you get plain clothed RPI and what do the use for ID?
Presumably. They would have their warrant card and they will show you it.

Ascot

Established Member
If its still The Independent, it went up to £1.20 on Monday :roll:

That and the Financial Times which are on the overhead luggage racks at each end. The hosts rarely greet you doorside anymore! :lol: (VT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
None, but then I can always mention the person to the guard.

You sound like a very officious person. If they are actually *stealing* then go and tell the guard. Don't try and be all important and ask to see their ticket. If they are not, then it's frankly, none of your business.

All Line Rover

Established Member
True! :D However the aforementioned risk of a black eye doing that sort of thing is quite high. In any case, if the papers have been left by previous passengers then it's not stealing either.

Seem a bit odd to punch someone in the middle of a First Class coach, wouldn't it, when other people are watching?

And there are never any "used" newspapers left on the train when boarding commences at Euston, as the cleaner has already been through the train. It's not just a problem with VT - FGW, EC and XC have the same problem. Although some staff (on XC and VT, in my experience) have been getting clever lately, and will only hand out newspapers to passengers in the First Class coach once the train has departed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You sound like a very officious person.

Maybe, but then I don't care. Northern prosecute people over "fare evasion" costing less than £1! And I've seen people stopped in their tracks at WHSmiths for trying to steal a newspaper.

Darandio

Established Member
But again, what business is it of yours? I appreciate not being able to read a newspaper because they have all been stolen is a nuisance, but it isnt your problem or fight to rectify it.

I'll ask again, someone must know. Is it an offence to impersonate a railway employee?

All Line Rover

Established Member
If they are actually *stealing* then go and tell the guard. Don't try and be all important and ask to see their ticket. If they are not, then it's frankly, none of your business.

I'm not going to mention someone to the guard unless I'm sure they've actually stolen it, so that's why I ask to see their ticket. I've been asked a few times myself!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I'll ask again, someone must know. Is it an offence to impersonate a railway employee?

I'm researching that now! :)
I'm not going to mention someone to the guard unless I'm sure they've actually stolen it, so that's why I ask to see their ticket. I've been asked a few times myself!

It's none of your business to investigate crime. If you think someone has stolen something then tell the guard or the police.

All Line Rover

Established Member
But again, what business is it of yours? I appreciate not being able to read a newspaper because they have all been stolen is a nuisance, but it isnt your problem or fight to rectify it.

It's not the lack of newspapers that annoys me. It's the fact that people will actually steal a newspaper that annoys me! And I should also point out that I only do this at the last table in Coach G (which usually has a pile of newspapers next to it), so if they pick up a paper and continue walking I can be sure I know what they're up to! ;)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

Oh, I agree. I think it very much depends on the situation, and how the question is phrased as to whether someone might get a black eye or not!

I have asked if I could have a look at people's tickets, but only when I've been talking to them and thy have mentioned that the ticket they have is unusual or very cheap! No way would I set myself up as an unofficlal inspector!

All Line Rover

Established Member
It's none of your business to investigate crime. If you think someone has stolen something then tell the guard or the police.

I don't do it because I want people to be prosecuted for stealing a paper. I do it to embarrass them. It's just as effective and much less hassle! :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
Seem a bit odd to punch someone in the middle of a First Class coach, wouldn't it, when other people are watching?

And there are never any "used" newspapers left on the train when boarding commences at Euston, as the cleaner has already been through the train. It's not just a problem with VT - FGW, EC and XC have the same problem. Although some staff (on XC and VT, in my experience) have been getting clever lately, and will only hand out newspapers to passengers in the First Class coach once the train has departed.

Maybe, but then I don't care. Northern prosecute people over "fare evasion" costing less than £1! And I've seen people stopped in their tracks at WHSmiths for trying to steal a newspaper.

I'm intrigued about the WHS newspaper incident - who stopped the perpetrator in their tracks - was this at a Station ?

All Line Rover

Established Member
I'm intrigued about the WHS newspaper incident - who stopped the perpetrator in their tracks - was this at a Station ?

No, a large city branch (Chester, to be precise). The branches in stations don't seem to have any security whatsoever.

Ascot

Established Member
I don't do it because I want people to be prosecuted for stealing a paper. I do it to embarrass them. It's just as effective and much less hassle! :lol:

Isn't that a bit childish though? Surely we all should rise above it, even if it does hit a sensitive spot?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I have asked if I could have a look at people's tickets, but only when I've been talking to them and thy have mentioned that the ticket they have is unusual or very cheap! No way would I set myself up as an unofficlal inspector!

I don't see the harm in that. But to ask to see someone's ticket because you've taken it on yourself to be some kind of mini-copper is a different matter. If someone asked me for my ticket because they wanted to see how much it cost (or a similar innocent enquiry) unless I was in a rush or something I'd be happy to oblige. If someone walked up to me demanding to see my ticket because I was in first class then they'd be told to buzz orf.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

Then don't do it at all. It's none of your business. If you want something done then tell the guard. If you don't keep your nose out.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Just have a look at this seating plan and you'll see what I'm on about. Seat 43 in Coach G. Someone picks up a newspaper from the pile opposite, and walks through to Standard Class. Seems odd, and happens so often it's unbelievable!

People nicking the newspaper is no different to sitting in First Class, eating the food and grabbing the drinks, and then moving to Standard Class before the guard comes round.

Butts

Veteran Member
No, a large city branch (Chester, to be precise). The branches in stations don't seem to have any security whatsoever.

At some Airport WHS they have an "honesty box" by the newspaper stand, I wonder if these are prevalent at stations - I have never seen one. More importantly given their reputation for profiteering is it full of pennies and foriegn coins :p

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

Yes, but then it should be the companies themselves, or their representatvies, that take action, rather than other customers.

Not really. There are loads of minor battery cases every month.

Quite, though it's probably more likely that there will be an angry resposne first, which might well lead to an element of violence as things deteriorate.

It's not the lack of newspapers that annoys me. It's the fact that people will actually steal a newspaper that annoys me! And I should also point out that I only do this at the last table in Coach G (which usually has a pile of newspapers next to it), so if they pick up a paper and continue walking I can be sure I know what they're up to! ;)

I still don't think you should be interfering. They may well have a first class ticket. If so, they may not take kindly to your questioning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.