• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking into First Class carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I love the people who move into the FC compartment on a FCC 317 and sit on the arm rest of a seat. I've walked through many times, to get from the country end to London end (and not stop) and usually try and close the doors behind me - as a courtesy to those in FC.

They get really upset if I do this, and I've had some say 'what the f**k do you think you're doing?' to which I answer that I'm simply trying to give first class passengers some privacy. They then slide the door back open - convinced that an open door means they're not really in first class.

I am quite glad when RPIs board and come on from the doors at either end, thus blocking off their escape. Doesn't happen often, and some of that time the RPIs let them out (which only helps to validate their opinion) but every now and then they're done.

I wouldn't wander about in first class on a plane (unless I was actually in there!) and the only time I've done so when flying economy was when I asked the crew if I could look - as I was keen to see what their first class seats/beds were like. Not that airlines have penalty fares!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
On a train with properly separated First Class (ie: not on a 350 with First in the centre) there is absolutely no reason to walk through First Class. It's incredibly ill-mannered and totally unnecessary. Really, if your day revolves around having a 100m headstart to get to the Tube then I worry about your priorities in life.

What about a late running train where that head start means you may just catch the last tube?

Also, are standard passengers not allowed to use first class toilets ?

CosherB

Established Member
Also, are standard passengers not allowed to use first class toilets ?

Cough splutter! Do you think we first class passengers wish to have poor people from steerage share our facilities! Some of them aren't even toilet-trained! What do you think we pay the massive first class fare for? It's to get away from plebs like that and enjoy a civilised journey!

It's bad enough at Euston where for 5 minutes after the train has departed heavy-breathing sweaty poor people whose time managaement is non existant and have therefore had to run to catch the train and boarded by the rear-most door, pollute our refined atmosphere as they file though on their way to their rightful place in the train. It shouldn't be allowed!

You want to enter first class? PAY THE BLUDDY FARE!

End of! (as a poor person would say).

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Cough splutter! Do you think we first class passengers wish to have poor people from steerage share our facilities! Some of them aren't even toilet-trained! What do you think we pay the massive first class fare for? It's to get away from plebs like that and enjoy a civilised journey!

It's bad enough at Euston where for 5 minutes after the train has departed sweaty poor people whose time managaement is non existant and have therefore had to run to catch the train and entered by the rear-most door, pollute our refined atmosphere as they file though on their way to their rightful place in the train. It shouldn't be allowed!

You want to eneter first class? PAY THE BLUDDY FARE!

One feels one must agree with you sir

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

It's bad enough at Euston where for 5 minutes after the train has departed heavy-breathing sweaty poor people whose time managaement is non existant and have therefore had to run to catch the train and entered by the rear-most door, pollute our refined atmosphere as they file though on their way to their rightful place in the train. It shouldn't be allowed!

You want to enter first class? PAY THE BLUDDY FARE!

End of! (as a poor person would say).

Do I sense some sarcasm in your post?

RJ

Established Member
Do I sense some sarcasm in your post?

I think it's more satirical. Even though some people do think that way, at the end of the day it is public transport. That means that tolerance of the presence of other passengers, no matter how irritating they are or illegitimately they're acting, is a prerequisite.

CosherB

Established Member
Iat the end of the day it is public transport. That means that tolerance of the presence of other passengers, no matter how irritating they are or illegitimately they're acting, is a prerequisite.

Indeed, but us First Class passengers pay a considerable premium to NOT have to mix with the hoi poloi. The hoi ploi should therefore keep out of our sanctum. They haven't paid to be there, so they should not be there. It is a duty of the train staff to ensure that happens.

Flamingo

Established Member
I notice on the Reading - London HSTs in the rush hour they have lots of people standing in the 1st vestables. I wonder if the gaurds ever tell them they have lots of standing room in coach A

Yes some of us do - frequently. <(

Indeed, but us First Class passengers pay a considerable premium to NOT have to mix with the hoi poloi. The hoi ploi should therefore keep out of our sanctum. They haven't paid to be there, so they should not be there. It is a duty of the train staff to ensure that happens.

Although posts like this make me wonder why I bother taking the abuse :roll:

Edited to add: Although I'm now wondering if this was a tongue in cheek posting!

Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
So, for Weekend First are you technically supposed to pay the train manager before entering First Class?

Flamingo

Established Member
I've been instructed at Reading before not to board directly into first class and to board into cattle class and at the time I had a first class ticket. :(

You must have looked scruffy! :lol::lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So, for Weekend First are you technically supposed to pay the train manager before entering First Class?

No, if you are prepared to pay the upgrade when asked, that is fine. People standing usually don't wish to pay the excess.

CosherB

Established Member
Although posts like this make me wonder why I bother taking the abuse :roll:

I think you'll find, my man, that keeping those who haven't a first class ticket out of first is part of your job description. It's not something you have a choice over.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
And people wonder why staff get annoyed at some of what is posted on here...

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

Quite.

Of course, Captain Speaking is actually wrong (the guard has the right by TOC policy and law to override ticket restrictions) but it's far funnier to watch him build up a head of steam about things first :D

RJ

Established Member
You must have looked scruffy! :lol::lol:

I do find that on board staff judge people by their appearance and I have to say, fair enough. Would anyone walk into a 5* hotel looking scruffy? Not that I'm saying that FC is like a 5* hotel but all the same, I feel that travelling First Class on an Intercity train is an experience and it makes sense to make the effort, even if only for a short period. When I did my FC ALR, I wore smart casual wear most of the time, usually consisting of a shirt with a collar or a polo shirt and jeans. But then some people turn up looking like tramps and wonder why they get judged! One day, I did wear a hoodie and boarded an East Coast service. I was stopped by the restaurant host who asked twice if I was supposed to be in First, then twice more by the trolley dolly, who then asked to see my ticket.

No, it's not nice to be
judged solely on appearance but let's face it, it happens. If you use a premium service then make the effort to blend in!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
One day, I did wear a hoodie and boarded an East Coast service. I was stopped by the restaurant host who asked twice if I was supposed to be in First, then twice more by the trolley dolly, who then asked to see my ticket.

I must say that this makes me so glad that I have had no such experience on EMT, no matter how messy I looked. :lol:

RJ

Established Member

Well some enthusiasts often feel that they know everything and that they can do the job better than the staff themselves. And they aren't afraid to tell the staff this either
!

I've been on both sides and despite being an enthusiast myself, I do feel that the fraternity sometimes doesn't do anything to encourage positive relations with staff, sometimes being outright anti-social.

RJ

Established Member
I must say that this makes me so glad that I have had no such experience on EMT, no matter how messy I looked. :lol:

Well they were very tactless. I felt like being rude to them as I found it offensive that they both felt the need to ask more than once, but I kept a lid on it.

I devised a very effective but inoffensive method of purging First Class of fare dodgers when I worked on board which often earned me looks of amusement and thanks from the other passengers - I'd love to be a passenger and see a TM do what I used to do :p

calc7

Established Member
I do find that on board staff judge people by their appearance and I have to say, fair enough. Would anyone walk into a 5* hotel looking scruffy? Not that I'm saying that FC is like a 5* hotel but all the same, I feel that travelling First Class on an Intercity train is an experience and it makes sense to make the effort, even if only for a short period. When I did my FC ALR, I wore smart casual wear most of the time, usually consisting of a shirt with a collar or a polo shirt and jeans. But then some people turn up looking like tramps and wonder why they get judged! One day, I did wear a hoodie and boarded an East Coast service. I was stopped by the restaurant host who asked twice if I was supposed to be in First, then twice more by the trolley dolly, who then asked to see my ticket.

No, it's not nice to be
judged solely on appearance but let's face it, it happens. If you use a premium service then make the effort to blend in!

On an East Coast service to Edinburgh, two scroats boarded at Darlington and sat down in the First Class quiet coach. They were being quite loud (giving the staff a run for their money in fact ;)) and had obviously been drinking.

Cue everybody in the carriage shaking their head and muttering, and catering staff and the TM investigating whether they had valid tickets.

Turns out they both had a FOS to Edinburgh!

The staff ushered them into one of the other FC coaches and plied them with a round of drinks from the trolley.

RJ

Established Member
Indeed, it does happen. That's why I used my wits, as it avoided embarrassment all around. It's a pity that other staff feel the need to be offensive and get flustered with passengers before ending up with egg on their face!

tony_mac

Established Member
I do find that on board staff judge people by their appearance and I have to say, fair enough. Would anyone walk into a 5* hotel looking scruffy?
You will find a fair number of 'scruffy' people in 5* hotels - and some of those aren't even American ;)

If you work in a creative business, you very quickly stop judging people on appearances. (i.e. it's only the minions who bother to dress 'smartly').

Ascot

Established Member

No, it's not nice to be

That sounds like a stereotype from people who don't go in First Class and 5* hotels. Regularly see people in tracksuits boarding a first class flight (for example), also people walking round a 5* (not a fake holiday type but a luxury brand) hotel wearing bathrobes/pjs in the club lounge. I'm not saying these are rare occurrences either but a regular thing since people have gotten over "public image" by then. (But yes to an extent I agree, lower first class is full of "public image" critics and it's something which those who work in the eye must adhere to).

Back on topic, on the peak Virgin services to Euston I see people walk past to get off first.

Last edited:

All Line Rover

Established Member
That sounds like a stereotype from people who don't go in First Class and 5* hotels. Regularly see people in tracksuits boarding a first class flight (for example), also people walking round a 5* (not a fake holiday type but a luxury brand) hotel wearing bathrobes/pjs in the club lounge. I'm not saying these are rare occurrences either but a regular thing since people have gotten over "public image" by then.

Back on topic, on the peak Virgin services to Euston I see people walk past to get off first.

I wouldn't say that I see many "scruffy" people in First on the peak time departures from Euston, nor on peak time XC trains. But then I don't care. I just want people to be quiet!

On peak time departures from Euston I see people walking through First and picking up a newspaper. And then I ask to see their ticket... (I mean, even I'm not that cheap! :lol:)

Zoe

Established Member
Since the widespread introduction of advance fares though, First Class is much more affordable.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I really hope that last comment is a joke.

No, it's no a joke. Usually they just put the newspaper down, blush, and run off! :lol: It astonishes me that people are so cheap that they will steal a £1 newspaper. :roll:

Darandio

Established Member
Is impersonating a railway employee a criminal offence?

No idea whether it is or not, but also no idea why you feel the need to do it?

No, it's no a joke. Usually they just put the newspaper down, blush, and run off! :lol: It astonishes me that people are so cheap that they will steal a £1 newspaper. :roll:

Yes but be careful, get someone whos had a bad day and they may decide to give you a black eye, its only a paper.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't get me started on 1st being packed out with rail staff on freebies! Staff quarters - that could explain it. :D

Quite right too, please keep out of the staff room ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.