• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Water trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Out of interest, what is the route in question ?

If it's something to do with track renewals, it will at least only be temporary in duration.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
455driver said:
How does any of this make Britain 'broken'?
Because the OP is a snowflake who probably thinks everything that ever goes wrong is somebody else's fault but never their own.

Car breaks down? Broken britain.
Bad weather? Broken britain.
Large mechanised chunks of metal on wheels travelling great distances surprisingly make a noise? Broken britain.

If the railway can't be forced to move away from their house, there is clearly something very wrong with the law ;)

marks87

Established Member
Because the OP is a snowflake who probably thinks everything that ever goes wrong is somebody else's fault but never their own.

Car breaks down? Broken britain.
Bad weather? Broken britain.
Large mechanised chunks of metal on wheels travelling great distances surprisingly make a noise? Broken britain.

Snowflake...yet another ridiculous made-up (in this context) word that's used to instantly dismiss other people's opinions.

As it happens, the definition you've ascribed to it is actually the opposite to how it's normally used. What you've described is a typical Daily Mail or Express reader. Those are the kind of people who bang on about "broken Britain".

Llanigraham

On Moderation
No, not at all. I prefer the Express most days. All I'm saying is that i've heard they're going to be running more frequently. it's fine if you don't live near a track, but if you do, kiss goodbye to any beauty sleep.

Obvious question; did you know when you bought your house there was a railway close?
If so, what did you expect?

6Gman

Established Member
I'm so angry at the news that 'water' trains are going to be making more journeys throughout the night in East Sussex. For those that have been lucky enough not to hear these rumbling giants, I can only describe their noises as absolutely deafening, especially at 3am, which for some reason is when they seem to enjoy rolling most of them out. Even if they are necessary for trackworks (and i would argue they are NOT), it seems unfair that we don't even have a say in how many times water trains go up and down our tracks. I guess broken britain really is broken after all.

I live near the West Coast Main Line. 14 passenger trains an hour plus freights and they've never let me have a say!

:D

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
How do any of you know the OP owns his house, or has a choice about where he lives?

Why are so many of you so openly hostile? What's wrong with you?

455driver

Veteran Member
I live near the West Coast Main Line. 14 passenger trains an hour plus freights and they've never let me have a say!

:D

You can have your say, they wont take any notice but you can have your say! ;) :lol:

455driver

Veteran Member
How do any of you know the OP owns his house, or has a choice about where he lives?

How many (adult) people dont have a say in where they live?
Even Council or Housing Association tenants get a few choices before they are forced to accept a house or go back to the bottom of the list!

BRblue

I thought this and whether he owns his house etc is irrelevant... but then again the OP hasn't helped by not answering any of the questions asked. The poster comes across as wanting to rant but not interested in the answer.

AndrewE

Established Member
If Trackdood can't be arsed to tell us which line he is talking about and when the alleged nuisance train ran, then he won't be able to get any useful reply. It may be significant the he can't produce any source for the proposed increase in traffic either.

The railway has to run trains, including engineering and freight which run at night to keep out of the way of intensive passenger services, and s/he should have realised this before moving in.

I suggest we either lock the thread or ignore it from now on.

Established Member
I seem to recall a few years ago a water company had a major problem and trainloads of water were shuttled south to help them out?
Are you referring to the last total eclipse visible in this country? ISTR that around three trains of bottled water were sent down to Cornwall and came back virtually untouched as the weather was rather grim....

3973EXL

Established Member
I seem to recall a few years ago a water company had a major problem and trainloads of water were shuttled south to help them out?

Flooding around Tewkesbury.

Trains went to MoD Ashchurch.

snowball

Established Member
If Trackdood can't be arsed to tell us which line he is talking about and when the alleged nuisance train ran, then he won't be able to get any useful reply. It may be significant the he can't produce any source for the proposed increase in traffic either.
It's only a few hours since he started the thread. He may be occupied with real work.

A Challenge

Established Member
He may not have anticipated this amount of thread in his absence, as he may not know how long threads can get. There are currently 16 members and 15 guests viewing this this thread, though there appear to the order the names are in!

furnessvale

Established Member
Are you referring to the last total eclipse visible in this country? ISTR that around three trains of bottled water were sent down to Cornwall and came back virtually untouched as the weather was rather grim....

Not that one. Cogs are whirring and I think it was something to do with a major flood in the west country somewhere.

Master29

Established Member
I thought water trains were the ones going under the Channel.

Established Member
Not that one. Cogs are whirring and I think it was something to do with a major flood in the west country somewhere.
Ah yes, thinking about it a bit more there was something like that more recently. Some vague memories are coming through of rather a lot of siding space being taken up by wagons full of bottled water waiting to be transported to the affected area.

trackdood

hi. sorry, i'm not able to reply as soon as everybody else seems to be. i'm trying to read all these replies but i don't understand why some of you are being so angry. i was only asking a question because i was pretty angry at the time. i think it just goes to show that if you so much as say something these days you'll be instantly attacked. so much for a society that supposedly cares about people.

Marklund

You need to provide a bit more detail, as has been asked repeatedly.
If you had a picture of the offending water train that would be even better.

Clip

Established Member
hi. sorry, i'm not able to reply as soon as everybody else seems to be. i'm trying to read all these replies but i don't understand why some of you are being so angry. i was only asking a question because i was pretty angry at the time. i think it just goes to show that if you so much as say something these days you'll be instantly attacked. so much for a society that supposedly cares about people.

I thought you said Britain was broken ? :lol:

However again you do need to mention what tiems and what line this is so people can check. Also how regular is this because whilst some posters have said you live next to a railway line so deal with it I think this falls into the same bracket of the noisy locos up north that just werent there a while ago and people will notice change a lot more if it is so vast so having a pop at you is probably unecessary

Darandio

Established Member

Lets be completely clear here. You created a thread which makes little sense, has next to no information and ends with 'broken Britain'.

More than anything, people are confused. Please provide more information.

trackdood

ok i will but i'm not at home at the moment, they also mainly travel at night, so how am i supposed to get a picture?

Darandio

Established Member
Would you know what they looked like if you saw them? So people could maybe post a series of pictures of what they think you are describing?

trackdood

i have spoke to somebody at southeastern trains about it before (a miracle even getting hold of them on the phone if you ask me) and they said the water is being used partly to test the tracks, but also in the creation of a large reservoir which a friend tells me is not far from devils dyke. i'm also waiting on more information and am happy to share.

Marklund

ok i will but i'm not at home at the moment, they also mainly travel at night, so how am i supposed to get a picture?

Does it look like :

640px-British_Rail_MPV_DR_98908_and_DR_98958_Castleton_%282%29.jpg

or

Img_5588.jpg

or

640px-Switch_and_Crossing_Rail_Grinder_DR79261_and_DR79271.jpg

with lots of sparks coming from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.