• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML Class 87's RETURN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
Excellent News and even better with them Top 'n' Tail. DVTs seem to be quite unreliable at the moment (I remember reading report after report about XC DVT failures). I doubt they'll get up to Manchester as that route is fully 125mph EPS timetable.

XC Macc - Birmingham then WC to Euston. 90 and 87 together... Like the good old days 8)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

metrocammel

Chaz said:
Excellent News and even better with them Top 'n' Tail. DVTs seem to be quite unreliable at the moment (I remember reading report after report about XC DVT failures). I doubt they'll get up to Manchester as that route is fully 125mph EPS timetable.

XC Macc - Birmingham then WC to Euston. 90 and 87 together... Like the good old days 8)

Yes Top & Tailing would be bon, but it seems very expenisive to hire in two locos per train, when only one at a time could work.

In theory it could work the 1H81(?) slow Euston - Manchester service (Litchfield Tamworth stopper via Crewe) - so not affecting the fast pendos, then get to Manchester P5(?) and do the really traditional run-round, though it would mean P6 having to be empty OR being very traditional and having an 08 (or spare loco) releasing the 87 on the blocks. I dont think this will happen in a million years tbh, and I think there would be more chance of a roarer appearing on the WCML than that happening!, though I have seen an 87 (002) use the Picc crossover once, when guess what (!?) a DVT had failed!

But anyway, as I said, Ill be happy with whatever LHCS comes, as you cannot be picky these days!

metrocammel

And oh yes... are there any crossovers at Euston??? I guess not, as didnt they have old roarers (85/1?) that solely did ECS moves between WN and Euston? So Im sure my crazy idea would be a non starter, but the idea of it gettin to Manchester on the slow service is still valid. - But as VT have proved - a seven might get to Glasgow again if they need draggin via Dumfries - as 90034 proved in October. (which eventually dnt need dragging anyway!)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I expect it will be a Birmingham to Euston service.

metrocammel

joea1 said:
class 313 said:
Im going to record sounds of these units before its too late.
You could always hitch a ride on a mail train ;)

Mad as it sounds, I know someone who has done that between Bolton and Preston (with the drivers permission!) - though that was the early 80's, and it a had a 25 on it I do believe!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
ROFL!

I don't particularly care which way it gets to Manchester (Stafford avoider, via Stone this is or via Crewe), as I need H-O on both. Would be nice via Crewe, would enable me to FINALLY finish H-O Cheadle Hulme to Stockport, as well as marking that route as done on VT traction and Rateable Traction.

Still, even if it were just on Wolves runs, if it means I get some more mileage on an 87, bring it!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
metrocammel said:
class 313 said:
Im going to record sounds of these units before its too late.

Units? - so your going to record Pendo noises???!!! :lol:

I hope you mean loco's!!!!

(If not, someone fetch the men in white coats!!! :shock: )

:lol: Calm down, I think he meant the 87s metcamm.

metrocammel

FGWFan said:
ROFL!

I don't particularly care which way it gets to Manchester (Stafford avoider, via Stone this is or via Crewe), as I need H-O on both. Would be nice via Crewe, would enable me to FINALLY finish H-O Cheadle Hulme to Stockport, as well as marking that route as done on VT traction and Rateable Traction.

Still, even if it were just on Wolves runs, if it means I get some more mileage on an 87, bring it!

Someone on 87 gen is now saying it will only be an anti-social hours Rugby to Euston (0700) and then returning at about 2300 on a Euston - Rugby. He then goes onto say 9/10 time it will probably be caped etc, so I think this geezer is being a bit pescimistic tbh, without substance, so I would not take it too seriously - but I do hope the sevens' do somthing "decent", rahter than just a morning out, late night return etc.

Julian G

Established Member
Snapper said:
Before anyone gets too excited about this, remember, it's only one set - which will probably work a Rugby - Eus - Wolves diagram to release one Pendolino. I believe details are still not finalised.

southy39

i dont know how many people on here are subscribed to the railway herald but i am and i recieved the latest issue and it suggests that the services will be off pear top and tailed 10 car mk.3 rakes but will not be running till march

Status
Not open for further replies.