• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCRC banned from running trains on the mainline from 18th Feb 2016 now rescinded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Just after to wait and see what happens, so before people cry me down lets see what happens I may be wrong.

You just sound like a very emotional kettle fan, blinkered by the reality of the situation.

What next? Wootton Bassett was actually an elaborate NR hoax? The incident at Weymouth was caused by NR moving the buffers back 10 metres?

Established Member
Because some idiot at the NRM thought it was a wise investment?:roll:

Judging by how many charters are already sold out at prices that aren't exactly cheap, as an investment it's looking a lot better than something that would be of little to no interest to non enthusiasts.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
D200 would've been a better investment.

Would it?
I wonder how many people on the street would know what D200 even is if you asked them, as opposed to how many would know of Flying Scotsman.

In your view it might be a more worthwhile project, but that doesn't make it a better investment, as they'd be extremely unlikely to get anything even remotely close to the income they'll get from Flying Scotsman.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
but other enthusiasts on this thread have lost their sense of proportion. This is about a company that allowed their train crew to drive past a signal at STOP, which they should have known was protecting busy main line and with the safety device that would have prevented it tampered with (not tinkered as one rail mag described it). Hundreds of people were on the two trains involved and only good fortune left the WCRC fouling the junction after not before the HST had passed through. The potential results were unimaginable (actually I can, I'm a doctor at a major trauma centre). They were given a chance to remedy this but lesser events continued. I don't really want my pottering around on DMUs and occasional trips to London to share track with them unless they can reach the high standards of safety I expect on rail. They run a limited number of trains for leisure, rail is about regular transport.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I totally agree with you, WCRC have to maintain a very high standard of Health and Safety as per other operators.

BRblue

but other enthusiasts on this thread have lost their sense of proportion. This is about a company that allowed their train crew to drive past a signal at STOP, which they should have known was protecting busy main line and with the safety device that would have prevented it tampered with (not tinkered as one rail mag described it). Hundreds of people were on the two trains involved and only good fortune left the WCRC fouling the junction after not before the HST had passed through. The potential results were unimaginable (actually I can, I'm a doctor at a major trauma centre). They were given a chance to remedy this but lesser events continued. I don't really want my pottering around on DMUs and occasional trips to London to share track with them unless they can reach the high standards of safety I expect on rail. They run a limited number of trains for leisure, rail is about regular transport.

At last!... somebody speaking sense.
Those of us who are actually employed in the rail industry have been constantly banging our heads against the wall when it comes to getting this message across...
We are talking about the national rail network not a heritage line, and if WCRC cannot meet the same safety standards as other TOC'S and FOC's they should not be operating on the mainline.
It is as straightforward as that, no grey areas, no ifs, no buts.

furnessvale

Established Member
At last!... somebody speaking sense.
Those of us who are actually employed in the rail industry have been constantly banging our heads against the wall when it comes to getting this message across...
We are talking about the national rail network not a heritage line, and if WCRC cannot meet the same safety standards as other TOC'S and FOC's they should not be operating on the mainline.
It is as straightforward as that, no grey areas, no ifs, no buts.

To be fair, if you look back in the thread , you will see others, me included, who have been pushing the same message.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Unfortunately the few of you that have are in the minority, but point taken.

No, over 26 pages of the thread, I think 23 could be made of people supporting your view. That is the vast majority.

Argosy

They run a limited number of trains for leisure, rail is about regular transport.

No it isn't. Rail is a mode of transport. Frequency is irrelevant. If an operator wishes to run aircraft, trains, ships or coaches the standard must be of a high enough quality to meet regulatory requirements.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I agree Argosy, it doesn't matter how often WCRC runs trains, the same level of Health and Safety is required as any other TOC.

RPTC

I don't get the mentality of those who bang on about some mythical and imagined anti-steam vendetta. Imagine the media outcry if some company was running ancient planes in and out of Heathrow with zero hour crews, inadequate training and safety systems, and had a near miss with another airliner? CAA would ground them immediately and probably permanently. Why are trains any different? If people want to play trains and not do it properly then build your own railway to play with, as the rest of us don't want being put us at increased risk of death or injury on the grown ups network. Perhaps start with this and work upwards.

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Brio-33042-Little-Forest-Train-Set/

I wonder if the managers and directors involved have had legal advice on their personal responsibilities, especially in the event of an incident where people get hurt. I know many senior people in the outside world are not familiar with these areas of safety legislation, and get a bit twitchy when it is explained to them.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/leadership/legislation.htm

Last edited:

CosherB

Established Member
I wonder if the managers and directors involved have had legal advice on their personal responsibilities, especially in the event of an incident where people get hurt. I know many senior people in the outside world are not familiar with these areas of safety legislation, and get a bit twitchy when it is explained to them.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/leadership/legislation.htm

Managers and directors in any industry shouldn't need to rely on legal advice regarding the Health and Safety at Work Act - it became law in 1974. Ignorance is not an excuse.

CosherB

Established Member
I agree Argosy, it doesn't matter how often WCRC runs trains, the same level of Health and Safety is required as any other TOC.

That's an extreme oversimplification, but I think I know what you're getting at. If it was applied exactly the same across all TOCs, then the likes of our friend Brian Aylott will get their way regarding Mark 1 stock.

Managing safety is the balance of hazard and risk to the point where it is as low as is reasonably practicable. Legislative and regulatory requirements, however, are a universal for everyone concerned.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yeah, what I wanted to get across is that it doesn't matter how large or small the TOC, they all have to provide the same high level of Health & Safety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.