• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather disruption Sunday 17th July and following few days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonnyfan

Is this solely because it is the portal frame OLE that was re-used in the 1980's refit from 1500 DC ? Or some other reason I wonder?
The OHL system dates back to the 50s on this line, there's no auto-tensioning system unlike other electrified lines. So when it's too hot, the lines just sag and become a risk for dewirements. The OHL will be switched off for periods over the next few days as the wires may be at risk from touching the roof of passing trains.

D1537

The Shakespeare Express is a single Class 20 today, VT informed they can't use 7029.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm surprised its taken them this long to put in a steam ban given how dry its been especially down south.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Is there a blanket speed restriction across the network tomorrow? Seeing mixed reports!

The OHL system dates back to the 50s on this line, there's no auto-tensioning system unlike other electrified lines. So when it's too hot, the lines just sag and become a risk for dewirements. The OHL will be switched off for periods over the next few days as the wires may be at risk from touching the roof of passing trains.
Ah I see, right. Its donkeys years since I've been on that line. I never noticed that from the train window.

jon0844

Veteran Member
What is the reasoning behind the closure of the ECML between Peterborough and York during the Red weather alert

Nothing south of Peterborough on Tuesday as far as I can see either. Literally nothing on the ECML into King's Cross (or Moorgate) - and that will include the Hertford Loop.

Class 466

Established Member
Dissapointed that after all the disruption during storm Eunice (when they ran a full service and stranded a load of people) and other weather events over the past couple of years - Southeastern are once again doing nothing beyond “there may be some disruption” when it’s obvious there will be with the speed restrictions in place. SN & SW are introducing revised timetables as well as every other operator in the area.

JamesT

Established Member
Seemed to crawl along between Paddington and Slough earlier, is/was there a speed restriction in place there?

andystock22

Nothing south of Peterborough on Tuesday as far as I can see either. Literally nothing on the ECML into King's Cross (or Moorgate) - and that will include the Hertford Loop.
No trains between York / Leeds and London King's Cross on Tuesday

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are TFL/Tube services expected to be running as normal tomorrow and Tuesday?

Tuesday I will have to get back to Pitsea on the c2c network, from Stonebridge Park on the Bakerloo...
A TSR will be in place from mid morning on all track areas open to the elements. Because of the Network Rail restrictions and the slower response to any incidents the Bakerloo will be running as two sections, North of Queens Park will be running as a shuttle.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks Mojo

Has any BESR been announced for the GWML out of Paddington? There's nothing on our company noticeboard, yet there is for other regions, so wondered if it had been missed, or if nothing has been put out yet...

66701GBRF

Thanks Mojo

Has any BESR been announced for the GWML out of Paddington? There's nothing on our company noticeboard, yet there is for other regions, so wondered if it had been missed, or if nothing has been put out yet...
From Freight Service Delivery Manager
30/60 BESR Paddington – Taunton all routes start of service Monday to end of service Tuesday. 45/90 BESR in the West Country.
Key Route Strategy applied on Thames Valley.
Only identified critical freight services to run over the route 12:00 – 22:00 Monday and Tuesday.

What is the reasoning behind the closure of the ECML between Peterborough and York during the Red weather alert, while the WCML still appears to be operating, if with a reduced service?
Both routes run through the Red area for a similar length (London-York/Preston).
Is there something about the infrastructure or train fleet that makes the Avanti timetable workable but the LNER one not?
Do freight requirements come into it (with the WCML being more critical than the ECML in this regard)?
Or has Avanti not announced its detailed plan yet?

Pretty sure its just age and type of infrastructure. With the ECML being closed then that is a big chunk of freight that can't serve terminals like Europort, iPort, Rotherham, Tinsley etc.

martin2345uk

Established Member
30/60 BESR Paddington – Taunton all routes start of service Monday to end of service Tuesday. 45/90 BESR in the West Country.
Key Route Strategy applied on Thames Valley.
Only identified critical freight services to run over the route 12:00 – 22:00 Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks for this... so where is this meant to be posted for train crew..? Should it be in the Late Notice Cases? It ain't in ours. The dissemination of safety critical information sometimes is shockingly bad!

_toommm_

Established Member
From Freight Service Delivery Manager

Pretty sure its just age and type of infrastructure. With the ECML being closed then that is a big chunk of freight that can't serve terminals like Europort, iPort, Rotherham, Tinsley etc.

Is the 30/60 30 freight/60 passenger and ECS, or is it 30 for speed limits below x and 60 for speed limits above x please?

Ken H

On Moderation
I'm surprised its taken them this long to put in a steam ban given how dry its been especially down south.
further north its been damp. Last 2 nights I have woken up to rain (Friday morning) and drizzle (Yesterday)

66701GBRF

Is the 30/60 30 freight/60 passenger and ECS, or is it 30 for speed limits below x and 60 for speed limits above x please?

It is blanket 30 for Freight and 60 for Passenger.

Thanks for this... so where is this meant to be posted for train crew..? Should it be in the Late Notice Cases? It ain't in ours. The dissemination of safety critical information sometimes is shockingly bad!

We got it via company email.

Trains Are Ace

Hi there. I've joined just to ask this question, I hope that's ok.

I have to travel tomorrow (I have a pre-op appointment at a London hospital). Tickets bought ages ago on EMR for specific trains from Corby to London St Pancras, then home again later. I've been stalking the EMR website since Friday, and know that my particular train is cancelled. It does say you can use tickets on earlier trains, and I'm planning as it stands to drive to Kettering, where it looks as if there is one train an hour to London from there.

Is it likely that if it all goes pear shaped tomorrow, other train operators will be accepting tickets? For example, I could get my husband to drive me to Northampton, and get the London Northwestern train from there to Euston.

Also, if I get a phone call when on the train to say my appointment is cancelled, or even find out when I get there, would I be able to use my ticket which is currently for the 19.15 train from St Pancras to Corby on an earlier train?

I have some mobility issues, so am just trying to get as organised as possible in advance so that when I wake up tomorrow I've got options easily to hand if things change.

If trains are completely down, I could drive and park somewhere, then tube in the rest of the way (assuming they're running). Am thinking maybe Croxley Station.

Sorry if this is too many questions, and thank you in advance to anyone that can offer any advice.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Getting increasingly frustrated with lumo. On the one hand they are parroting the do not travel and leisure central messaging which is all well and good but have said nothing about ticket acceptance for passengers who have chosen to abandon their journeys on Monday when there is is an essential travel only warning but no real cancellations or disruption other than speed restrictions yet.

Howardh

Established Member
I'm going for a day out tomorrow, abandoned any plans to go to the Lakes, so will stick to Greater Manchester with a bus/rail all day ticket and go where there's an alternative should the trains be cancelled. Thinking of the Marsden/Greenfield area again and a paddle in the river.

Note, ther's already been one death, a 16-yr-old has been reported to die after jumping into Salford Quays.

The body of a 16-year-old boy has been recovered from Salford Quays, police have confirmed. A major search operation was launched after reports on Saturday evening that a person had got into difficulty in the water earlier.

Greater Manchester Police said a body was located later on Saturday night and recovered overnight. In an update on Sunday, a force spokesman said the body is believed to be that of a 16-year-old boy who was last seen struggling in the water after swimming with friends.

Formal identification has not yet taken place and the boy hasn't been named. Detectives, however, have confirmed his death is not being treated as suspicious.

Snow1964

Established Member
Thanks Mojo

Has any BESR been announced for the GWML out of Paddington? There's nothing on our company noticeboard, yet there is for other regions, so wondered if it had been missed, or if nothing has been put out yet..

The weather models have been revised and whilst the Paddington end of the GWML is in red weather zone, from Bristol westwards, Wales and SW have nothing exceptional (and now looking like thunderstorms on Tuesday before afternoon heat in Cotswolds and Somerset area.)

It seems rather tough that the areas farther west are losing parts of their service and getting speed restrictions too, even if those trains go nowhere near hot area.

Established Member
People have to go to work. Some people have no choice other than to go to work. Some people have no other transport choices

Unless they work in the Civil Service of course :)
I know people do.

But with all the warnings etc they have no right to moan if they are suddenly stuck on a train in middle of no where due to track buckling or overheads collapsing.

The warnings are there and people should heed them.

All the restrictions and closures are there for the passengers safety.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
AIUI the temperatures across Central England and as far northas Manchester and Yotk in an "M" pattern are forecast to reach 41 degrees celsius. That is ten degrees warmer than we have been experiencing in some locations this week. It is currently about 28 degrees in Staffrordshire.

If you think your journey warrants you to travel on a train in that heat, and risk the train becoming stranded then go ahead and see if the trains you want are actually running. I am really fortunate as I am not at work until Thursday, but I would not consider travelling by rail for the next 72s hours

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I must travel from Carlisle to Glasgow Central tomorrow.

I’m hoping that out of Avanti, TPE and Scotrail, at least one will run at least one train after 14:00!

Status
Not open for further replies.