• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
It looks like RailUK needs a crisis support centre!

On a more serious note, it appears that buses are slowly making their way to help stranded Virgin passengers, but, to be honest, I doubt they'll be timely enough.

I've heard that 70 passengers are (or were) on the Voyager that caught fire, and all were safely evacuated.

However, someone has just tweeted (lost the address - sorry!) that a VT Thunderbird is now also on fire, although I am taking that with so many pinches of salt that I could easily marinate a small ocean.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . I see why the photographer says "unbelievable" - more importantly, why isn't it draining away?
Perhaps I can help.
The rain over Newcastle between 16:00 and 18:00 was very unusual, there were clear and sunny skies either side of that rain. But when it fell, the volume of rain was so incredibly great that even at the high points, it was simply falling out of the sky faster than gravity could pull it away. I went over a bridge at the bottom of a steep valley, where the bridge did not have solid walls, but the volume of water flowing down either bank flowed faster then the spillage over either side of the bridge. You could only evisionage it in terms of a concave mound of water on the centre of the bridge.

At lower places, the force of water flowing out of roadside drains was fountain-like. House drainpipes were unable to convey the volume of water from roofs at the rate at which it was falling onto those roofs.

By 8pm, the sun had dried most of the roads and paved areas, but there were ribs of sand and stones as you'd find near the sea, left as debris, on many roads and some gardens or open spaces.

My only exposure was to cross a road by running. I was as wet as if I'd swum across a river.

I and others I work with have experienced tropical storms, but were still astonished. Even there, we'd never experienced such intense lightenng so close, so regular, and so prolonged in our experiences. I'm still in shock.
I saw some ECS moves between Newcastle and Heaton TCM Depot and their staff were all at windows looking out in disbelief.

Newcastle enjoyed a dry and relatively mild night, the storm having been as quick to pass as it had been in arriving. But the memory, and some of the unfortunate damage, will last for a long time. This afternoon's rainfall was unprecedented, others who will probably be debating whether this may be indicative of future demands on our drainage capacity and proposals to build on land near to (rising?) sea levels might now wish to consider our capacity to drain higher sites.

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
I understand replacement buses may be acquired in the next few minutes for some services, subject to the availability of said buses and also local road conditions.
Train now terminated at Lockerbie
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
someone has just tweeted (lost the address - sorry!) that a VT Thunderbird is now also on fire
There is nothing on the NR or Virgin Trains feed for that (yet)
There is also a report that a (northbound) Cross Country train has terminated at Durham, the onboard staff have abandoned the train

mbonwick

Established Member
Train was derailed by a landslip - driver was treated for shock but is otherwise unharmed. Due to the location recovery is going to be very difficult and it is not clear how long the line will be blockaded.

Derailed at the south end of the tunnel at Loch Treig I believe, loco said to be in a similar position to that 156 that derailed a while ago.

Driver OK and quoted as saying 66734 is "wrecked"

fsmr

It looks like RailUK needs a crisis support centre!

On a more serious note, it appears that buses are slowly making their way to help stranded Virgin passengers, but, to be honest, I doubt they'll be timely enough.

It is true radio 5 have a reporter trapped on board taken over 12 hrs from euston now front portionon fire all px in rear but no power sat south of lockerbie prior to this they were routed along cumbria coastine via barrow and past ravenglass due to tebay landslip regular interviews with train px on board

tsr

Established Member
Train now terminated at Lockerbie

There is nothing on the NR or Virgin Trains feed for that (yet)
There is also a report that a (northbound) Cross Country train has terminated at Durham, the onboard staff have abandoned the train

I have another report from an enthusiast that a Virgin 57 en route to a stranded Pendolino (no news which) has been on fire at an undisclosed location. No news is forthcoming on casualties/firefighting.

The front half of the double Voyager that had a minor engine fire near Beattock (the half that caught fire) is empty and has now moved to Lockerbie, but there is a problem preventing the rear half (with the passengers on-board) from moving.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
The Highland Sleepers are "running", just not going anywhere
They are providing overnight accomodation at originating stations only (Euston, Fort William, Inverness, and Aberdeen)

So far, the Glasgow / Edinburgh sleepers are still showing as running
However, I would expect them to be heavily delayed
They could go via the S&C, to avoid Tebay

They are. Adding 2 1/2 hours to the trip

rail-britain

Established Member
I have another report from an enthusiast that a Virgin 57 en route to a stranded Pendolino (no news which) has been on fire at an undisclosed location
This sounds like the same southbound service I have read about, it had just departed Penrith, made its way back north, but had already passed Penrith heading for Carlisle (so that passengers could use alternative routes or hotels) when it ended up being unable go any further
It then ended up stranded just to the north of Penrith

Water and traction motors don't really go together...

tsr

Established Member
This sounds like the same southbound service I have read about, it had just departed Penrith, made its way back north, but had already passed Penrith heading for Carlisle (so that passengers could use alternative routes or hotels) when it ended up being unable go any further
It then ended up stranded just to the north of Penrith

Water and traction motors don't really go together...

How long ago did you hear that this happened? I'm looking at 9.45pm-10.45pm, but perhaps a bit earlier. I also have news that the 57 was not attached to the Pendolino when it caught fire.

To be honest, they may as well have just given up... as you say, I can well imagine there are a lot of unhappy traction motors floating around tonight (perhaps literally!).

Whatever has happened, it's really just another cog in the machine of doom that has caused what I presume has been one of Virgin's worst ever days in the last few years!

Ibex

Looks like 1M19 18:40 Glasgow to Euston has now missed it's chance to run down the Trent Valley. Departed Warrington Bank Quay at 00:20 180 minutes late and is now going to run via the West Mids, calling additionally at Crewe, Wolverhampton, Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International and Coventry.

fsmr

Yep s and c will be get busy bet there will be a shortage of locos for piloting the electrics

Just out of curiosity, and on a slightly related note, I was in the car today during some very heavy rain, in which you could hardly see anything through the windscreen at 10mph, even with the windscreen wipers working.

In the event of very, very heavy rain, could a train service be delayed? Because I can't imagine a driver working in the rain we was in today being able to see the signals properly, because we could barely see the traffic lights.

tsr

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, and on a slightly related note, I was in the car today during some very heavy rain, in which you could hardly see anything through the windscreen at 10mph, even with the windscreen wipers working.

In the event of very, very heavy rain, could a train service be delayed? Because I can't imagine a driver working in the rain we was in today being able to see the signals properly, because we could barely see the traffic lights.

We had an interesting thread about driving in thick fog (back in the winter, IIRC). The conclusion was that automatic warnings and route knowledge can be sufficient to prevent any incidents in many cases, although some lines may have delays due to the exact signalling systems in use.

tsr

Established Member
Perhaps I can help.
The rain over Newcastle between 16:00 and 18:00 was very unusual, there were clear and sunny skies either side of that rain. But when it fell, the volume of rain was so incredibly great that even at the high points, it was simply falling out of the sky faster than gravity could pull it away. I went over a bridge at the bottom of a steep valley, where the bridge did not have solid walls, but the volume of water flowing down either bank flowed faster then the spillage over either side of the bridge. You could only evisionage it in terms of a concave mound of water on the centre of the bridge.

At lower places, the force of water flowing out of roadside drains was fountain-like. House drainpipes were unable to convey the volume of water from roofs at the rate at which it was falling onto those roofs.

By 8pm, the sun had dried most of the roads and paved areas, but there were ribs of sand and stones as you'd find near the sea, left as debris, on many roads and some gardens or open spaces.

My only exposure was to cross a road by running. I was as wet as if I'd swum across a river.

I and others I work with have experienced tropical storms, but were still astonished. Even there, we'd never experienced such intense lightenng so close, so regular, and so prolonged in our experiences. I'm still in shock.
I saw some ECS moves between Newcastle and Heaton TCM Depot and their staff were all at windows looking out in disbelief.

Newcastle had rainfall at a rate of at least 96mm per hour and quite possibly a higher rate. I can well imagine the disbelief. That can easily feel like standing in a shower. You'd be lucky if a top-notch Class 3 waterproof jacket kept you dry!

ushawk

Established Member
ECML is to be blocked until Saturday at the earliest according to Network Rails Twitter.

causton

Established Member
East Coast timetable:

Towards Scotland http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servi...onal_info/Friday_29_June_towards_Scotland.pdf
Towards London http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/additional_info/Friday_29_June_to_London.pdf

Please note the following: (!)
There is no replacement road transport between Newcastle and Berwick-upon-Tweed. East Coast are advising passengers not to travel in this area.

So to sum up:
CrossCountry - full service to Newcastle, use VT services between Birmingham and Scotland
East Coast - use Scotrail services to Glasgow/Inverness, southern services should be fine. You can use tickets this weekend if you don't want to try and travel today (and the same if you wanted to travel yesterday). They emphasise their Delay Repay option as well!
Northern haven't said anything yet...
TPE - just delays on services to Newcastle. You can use yesterday's unused tickets today.
Tyne and Wear Metro - no service.

The 18.40 Virgin service from Glasgow is now due into Euston at 04.05 just over 4 hours late.

Just on a side note would Virgin find hotels when this service arrives into Euston for passengers on this service so they are not just hanging around London in the middle of the night?

Last edited:

crewmeal

With all these problems I guess British Airways flights to Scotland will be full up. They'll probably put larger aircraft on GLA/EDI routes.

bus man

Radio Sheffield reported on its 6am news that a train on the east coast was stuck with passangers for 15 hours and then caught fire - NFD

update - sorry just seen post 49

rail-britain

Established Member
How long ago did you hear that this happened? I'm looking at 9.45pm-10.45pm, but perhaps a bit earlier. I also have news that the 57 was not attached to the Pendolino when it caught fire
This was about the same time as the other report of a train fire
Looks like it was the 18:40 Glasgow to Euston
Initially I didn't pay attention to it, as it looked like confusion between this train making an attempt to get back to Carlisle, then Penrith, plus the northbound Birmingham service which had been diverted and then the original report that it was on fire

The 39 Steps

1M11 2340 Glasgow Central to Euston sleeper arrived into Preston platform 3 at 0621 (194 minutes late) having travelled via the S & C. 66110 hauling 90024 (DIT). 90020 hauling 1S26 2350 Euston to Glasgow Central arrived in Preston platform 4 at 0332 (six early) and was still there when 1M11 arrived.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'm guessing the Virgin Super Voyager service which suffered the engine fire north of Lockerbie, may have been the 1720 Bhm Glc? (sorry i don't know if it is 1s85).
It was formed of 221101 & 221143.

williamn

Travelling Inverurie to Kings Cross today, was to have been on 07.52 from Aberdeen. Currently en route to Glagow instead...

rail-britain

Established Member
Travelling Inverurie to Kings Cross today, was to have been on 07.52 from Aberdeen. Currently en route to Glagow instead...
Ironic isn't it, after all that advice for what happens in the Inverurie service arrives late into Aberdeen...

shedman

Unfortunately I can't find a link but does anyone know anything about a reported London to Glasgow service that reached Tebay to be diverted to Leeds then back to Lockerbie where is caught fire and continued to Glasgow with passengers moved to the rear part of the train? BBC Breakfast news are currently running the story. The journey was reported to have taken 15 and 1/2 hours.

williamn

Ironic isn't it, after all that advice for what happens in the Inverurie service arrives late into Aberdeen...

Indeed! Handy that the train from Inverurie continues straight onto Glasgow. Expect trains from Glasgow to London will be carnage though... Scotrail accepted tickets fine.

rail-britain

Established Member
Scotrail accepted tickets fine.
That's a good point, not showing on East Coast website that passengers between Inverness / Aberdeen and Edinburgh, should travel to Glasgow instead
Presumably they are only going to advise (and anger some) of the issues when they arrive at Edinburgh; wedged Edinburgh - Carlisle VT services (as FTPE are not currently accepting East Coast)

edit :
This has now been updated, looks like Cross Country have just realised what is going on
ScotRail are now accepting passengers with East Coast tickets, via any reasonable route

Status
Not open for further replies.