• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weird Things You See People Do on the Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz962

Established Member
How about people who when you ask them to move their bags so you can sit down who insist vehemently on keeping the aisle seat but when they get off are so slow that the end up the back of the queue anyway?

Or people who enter/exit the toilets whole eating/drinking.

People who board trains half dressed.

Or my personal favourite as far as weird ones go, girls who randomly walk up to you, say "there you are my love" and hand you 3 packets of out of date bacon as though it was a belated Xmas present?

Three packets of bacon, is that usual, I am wetting myself.-----

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Master29

Established Member
Wallies who turn up late and expect the train to wait for them. Also platform brain where 95% of the people wanting to get on a specific train crowding into just 10% of the platform when you have an empty area the size of the Russian steppes free on the rest of the platform.

xotGD

Established Member
Weird things: People who take photographs of out-of-date packets of bacon.

jon0844

Veteran Member
People who ask when the next train is to a certain destination, they're told when the next service is and they reply "Is there not one sooner?". It's like they think there's a service that they're not allowed to know about! :lol:

Well, sometimes now there are trains going very soon that are removed from screens and staff shouldn't be recommending someone tries to run for. But it's quite hard not to mention a train that hasn't gone because you don't want them to get it and risk a late departure. If they find out...

Chris M

People who ask when the next train is to a certain destination, they're told when the next service is and they reply "Is there not one sooner?". It's like they think there's a service that they're not allowed to know about! :lol:
In some cases they might mean "Is there a faster way to my destination?" which there might be (e.g. a connecting service)

deltic1989

Established Member
I also once witnessed two people fully clothed but at it, to put it politely, on a slam door train service late at night. This was coming away from Victoria on a quarry line service that would have stopped at Haywards Heath. Either they were faking it or actually doing it. I didn't hang around to find out.

There was this case 25 or so years ago where a couple got down and dirty on a bank holiday excursion to the Kent seaside.
The travelling public only protested when they lit a fag in the non-smoking section of the train....
Maybe they misunderstood when they herd people talking about the f*****g trains.
In any event I'll see that and raise you a fella flogging his bishop on an FGW HST.

HST stops. Guard is slow releasing the doors for some reason. People wait patiently on the train and on the platform, except for one person furiously yanking at the door trying to open it. Why? What causes such people not to notice the different behaviour of everyone else in sight?
You aint seen nothing untill you see the same situation but Mr Impatient jumps head first through the droplight. It took mere seconds for him to realise that this was a mistake.

whhistle

On Moderation
The entire point of the phonetic alphabet is to make this sort of thing clearer. I wish every customer did this, as it would make life so much easier...

I’d also rather be passed the phone, as the glass can cause reflections making it hard to view the screen.
I understand, but when there's no glass... I watched the person be notably slower as they then had to spend slightly extra time converting the word back to a letter, instead of just showing the paper or saying the letter by itself.

I also know the company in question has suggested their employees shouldn't touch phones. If the employee drops it and the screen smashes and all that...

But glass in ticket offices shouldn't cause ghosting... unless it's double glazed? But even then, you need a curve in the glass to cause the effect in a major way, otherwise we'd all be seeing really bad reflections every time we looked outside.

Not everyone has our level of knowledge, experience, ability or confidence in using the railway system.
This.
But there are many things that are done out of nervousness perhaps rather than logical output from the person. If the person looked back, I should think they would feel a little sheepish.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
HST stops. Guard is slow releasing the doors for some reason. People wait patiently on the train and on the platform, except for one person furiously yanking at the door trying to open it. Why? What causes such people not to notice the different behaviour of everyone else in sight?

Or when you've got an empty train sat in the platform locked out of use, with people stood around the doors waiting for them to be opened.

There's *always* somebody who then turns up onto the platform and pushes the door open button hopeful that the door will magically open (and everybody else is just stood around admiring the paintwork).

I'll also add - people running panicked for trains that don't depart for 10 minutes...

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'll also add - people running panicked for trains that don't depart for 10 minutes...

Modern trains where the doors close after 30 seconds are great at making this happen. When I took my first 700 through the Canal Tunnels, and it sat at London Bridge for nearly 10 minutes, it was quite amusing to see everyone running for the train assuming it was about to go.

pdeaves

Established Member
Modern trains where the doors close after 30 seconds are great at making this happen. When I took my first 700 through the Canal Tunnels, and it sat at London Bridge for nearly 10 minutes, it was quite amusing to see everyone running for the train assuming it was about to go.
Modern doors that autoclose don't help this. The train is sat there minding its own business when suddenly 'beep, beep, beep' and the doors shut. As far as I can tell, there is no difference in sound between 'doors are closing so we can depart, stand back please' and 'doors are closing to keep the warmth in but you are welcome to open them again'.

Ambient Sheep

As far as I can tell, there is no difference in sound between 'doors are closing so we can depart, stand back please' and 'doors are closing to keep the warmth in but you are welcome to open them again'.

Yes, and there should be.

duffield

Established Member
Also seen a couple of people regularly walk all the way up the platform to the front of the train, only for them to walk all the way to the back through the train & sit in the rear coach!

This makes sense in some cases - you walk all the way up the train to see which coach is the emptiest, realise it was actually at the other end, but the time's getting short so you get on and walk back down the other way.

duffield

Established Member
People who appear to be embarrassed about knowing where the train is going:

Someone asks "Is this the train to Leeds?"

Passenger responds either "I think so" or "I hope so". Never seem to just say "Yes".

Depends on the circumstances. I'm not the train crew or dispatcher. Platforms sometimes change at the last moment. There might be a diversion I'm not aware of that doesn't affect my destination but does affect theirs. Some routes have irregular stopping patterns. Trains skip stops sometimes if late. If I'm actually going to Leeds (i.e. same station as they are), I'll say something like "I hope so, that's where I'm going", if not I'll probably just say "I think so" or "I'm not sure". If they want a definitive answer, ask the rail staff.

James James

Swiss Stadler FLIRTs do that, never seen it in the UK, I guess the concern is that people will press it, forget about it, lean on the door then when it opens fall out.

It has a secondary purpose in that pressing it requests a stop at a request stop.

Will be interesting to see if the UK FLIRTs have that feature, I expect not. I don't think the DB AG ones do.
That's actually a general thing on both Swiss trains and buses. Certainly the modern Stalder and Siemens train do (haven't tested the eternally delayed Bombardier's), in addition to the IC2000 double deckers and ICN, and also older single-deck S-Bahn stock. The only real exception is the single-deck EW IV carriage that have levers on the inside, those don't activate until doors are unlocked. (If the buttons aren't illuminated, they'll illuminate once you press them.)

Many of the buses where I live even have lights above the door to indicate they will open (only the most local buttons activate the door, other stop buttons in the bus activate the main stop light). They were installed on all the older buses, disappeared for a while as low-floor buses were introduced, and have reappeared recently on new deliveries.

But yes, you guessed it, my issue is that people don't realise that pressing the button once is enough. As well as people who block the button without realising that it needs to have been pressed at least once or the door won't open either (that happens once a month).

Crossover

Established Member
One of the strangest (and slightly disgusting) things I have seen was someone taking a (supermarket) sandwich from its wrapping and putting it straight onto the table of a Northern 158 - no napkin or anything

pdeaves

Established Member
People putting tickets into barriers that are open...
Forgivable, but people who stop in the open barrier to retrieve a ticket retained by the machine. At the other end of the scale, people who do not take the ticket to trigger gate opening on entering the station (i.e. put ticket in slot, ticket pops out of the top, they just stand there). I always wonder, if they expect the machine to eat the ticket, what do they want to show to the on board inspector?

Neither is the end of the world, obviously, and are probably more accurately considered 'mildly amusing' than 'weird'.

kevconnor

Perhaps they think they're the same principle as Oyster cards!

I was stood behind someone at Manchester Piccadilly Metrolink stop yesterday who was trying to 'tap in' on the GMT card readers with what looked suspiciously like a NR ticket.

These stops aren't barriered but the readers are on the platform, the gentleman was waving his ticket near the reader waiting for it to do something, which it never did came away from it and watched me tap in with my own GMT card and then went back to trying again. If my tram hadn't already been in and about to depart I would have intervened.

Roy Badami

Personal pet hate regarding slam door stock; people looking shocked and tutting as you open the drop light whilst the train is still moving into platform. Naughty I realised but not a risk of you don't lean out.

VTEC staff on HSTs to Leeds sticking their heads out of the droplights on approach to Leeds. Really sticking their heads right out.

I think they’re trying to see which platform they’re arriving into for some reason.

I can’t believe this is an approved practice (although what do I know? More than happy to be proved wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.