• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darklord8899

Probably nothing or very little at this point in time. They will be happy to let First drain their money some more then once some more routes are added (Probably after phase 3 services) then try to kick first out .... Or try to at least....

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
It’s all a waiting game at this point, Personally I’m hoping Lothian stick it out in West Lothian but I know it’s not the same as East Lothian when everything was suddenly taken over by Lothian once First announced their departure, i’d give it a year or even a few more months to see how this all turns out, though First seem to be pulling in extra weight in this whole ordeal, like when LCB brought in the 104 and First brought down their prices to Haddington, either way it’s Bus Wars episode 3. or 4...

Darklord8899

I agree with @TheEastCoaster we could well be headed for another bus war.... I think in terms of finances though, Lothian have the upper hand, don't think first could sustain a fight for very long.

overthewater

Established Member
First were able to afford, to have the £2 day ticket for one month before Lothian come along, I dont see the problem? Problem for Lothian is the passenger may end up sticking with First and First just has to make it clear, Hey look were weren't ripping you off, it was the going rate... unlike others who charged higher...

Darklord8899

First were able to afford, to have the £2 day ticket for one month before Lothian come along, I dont see the problem? Problem for Lothian is the passenger may end up sticking with First and First just has to make it clear, Hey look were weren't ripping you off, it was the going rate... unlike others who charged higher...

Very true about the £2 ticket, I had forgotten about that! I'm not saying they can't put up a fight, but was more wondering how long they could sustain a fight?
Also a good point, First may well be able to wave the "look our fares aren't ripping you off flag" which in passengers eyes is a damn good flag to be waving

overthewater

Established Member
Im now hearing and seeing reports that Ex london Lothian buses can cope with 27/28? If I was Lothian I would say sod it, have £4.50 Dayticket and get that weekly ticket that prices first. Also look at making some changes to the routes. I get the feeling if First loses West lothian I don't expect Stirling and maybe Falkirk to last...

AJW12

I think Lothian might get some business from passengers who change to their buses to go somewhere else in Edinburgh. I think that's what caused the 18/400 service passengers to grow, and maybe the same for ECB. When I've been there it's been very advantageous being able to go anywhere with one ticket.

Journeyman

Established Member
I think Lothian might get some business from passengers who change to their buses to go somewhere else in Edinburgh. I think that's what caused the 18/400 service passengers to grow, and maybe the same for ECB. When I've been there it's been very advantageous being able to go anywhere with one ticket.

Absolutely, for anyone in West Lothian who commutes into Edinburgh and uses another Lothian service or a tram, it's an absolute winner, and I suspect that's the market Lothian is chasing, rather than local journeys within West Lothian itself.

smtglasgow

Lothian *might* be onto something here – an untapped market maybe – but I think local journeys are the bread and butter of the West Lothian market. First’s Edinburgh runs always seem dead, but it’s fairly common to see a full bus pulling up in Livingston.

Journeyman

Established Member
Lothian *might* be onto something here – an untapped market maybe – but I think local journeys are the bread and butter of the West Lothian market. First’s Edinburgh runs always seem dead, but it’s fairly common to see a full bus pulling up in Livingston.

For anyone near a station, the bus journey times are incredibly slow compared to the train, and it's only the fact that they're cheaper that might attract people. There's plenty of places in West Lothian not well served by train, though - even Livingston isn't, given how big it is and how far the stations are from the middle of town. Certainly the Edinburgh-bound buses are busy during the peaks - First have even run a few double deckers on the new Winchburgh - Edinburgh peak journeys in the new timetable - but off-peak they can be pretty quiet. They fill up well at weekends, though.

overthewater

Established Member
I'm sorry but going on social media and reading and reporting other people's opinions is hardly fact.
True, but what if there corroborate what ive been seeing around livingston? Then you'll say why not do that? welll because I hardly see much ex london stock floating around.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Absolutely, for anyone in West Lothian who commutes into Edinburgh and uses another Lothian service or a tram, it's an absolute winner, and I suspect that's the market Lothian is chasing, rather than local journeys within West Lothian itself.

That alone is what makes me think Lothian will win this, along with the effort put into getting a garage nearer West Lothian, and having unlimited travel at £7.50 from Bathgate/Whitburn to The City along with the likes of Gorebridge,Penicuik,Tranent or Seton Sands is quite a bargain tbf and only 1.50 more for further travel to North Berwick, Haddington and Dunbar is just as good.

Now if only there was a network ridacard to make long distance travelling more easier

overthewater

Established Member
That alone is what makes me think Lothian will win this, along with the effort put into getting a garage nearer West Lothian, and having unlimited travel at £7.50 from Bathgate/Whitburn to The City along with the likes of Gorebridge,Penicuik,Tranent or Seton Sands is quite a bargain tbf and only 1.50 more for further travel to North Berwick, Haddington and Dunbar is just as good.

Now if only there was a network ridacard to make long distance travelling more easier

If that is the case then it will need to go after the car drivers and introduce a few more peak runs..

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
If that is the case then it will need to go after the car drivers and introduce a few more peak runs..

Well if the X27/X28 are as busy as they apparently are I could see more journeys added in the next service changes.

I mentioned this in another forum but if LCB bring in an X20 (Whitburn-Edinburgh) omitting Livingston and serving Armadale, Bathgate and Corstorphine. I can see that being very popular amongst commuters. Hopefully we’ll see this or something similar in Phase 3. Whenever that’ll be

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
True, but what if there corroborate what ive been seeing around livingston? Then you'll say why not do that? welll because I hardly see much ex london stock floating around.

You’ve been to Livingston a lot in the last week so you have your observations?

Problem with social media is it is a skewed picture. Twitter and Farcebook are lightning rods for complaining and people with their own agendas.

What if you saw X and on Farcebook, it was all Y and so didn’t substantiate your view. What then?

Observer

There's still plenty of refurbished stock to come. The white fleet are only placeholders for now.

overthewater

Established Member
You’ve been to Livingston a lot in the last week so you have your observations?

Problem with social media is it is a skewed picture. Twitter and Farcebook are lightning rods for complaining and people with their own agendas.

What if you saw X and on Farcebook, it was all Y and so didn’t substantiate your view. What then?

Yes, because it has something called shop :D To your last part, that's why I have said there has been a very mix bag of whats going on. On one is winning out right.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
On a sort of off topic question, does anyone know how you go about the ridacard/£1.70 fare to Livingston from Edinburgh? I’m planning to go to the centre soon and not sure if I just present my ridacard and put in the fare when I board the bus or pay the extra fare on the zone boundary.

overthewater

Established Member
Tweet or facbook them? On that subject an interesting comment has turn up from lothian country..

"We are undertaking a review of our ticketing options across the Lothian family."

This could be a game changer....

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
On a sort of off topic question, does anyone know how you go about the ridacard/£1.70 fare to Livingston from Edinburgh? I’m planning to go to the centre soon and not sure if I just present my ridacard and put in the fare when I board the bus or pay the extra fare on the zone boundary.
When I did it I could only activate the Ridacard in Lothian area. Additional Adult fares can be purchased for Countty zones when you activate the Ridacard. This doesn't however work for Junior Ridacards, for that you just buy the ticket in Country area, Make sense?

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Timetables for 280 and 287 have been released

Both every 30 minutes and hourly in the evenings as expected.

New fare zone also introduced for Blackridge. Seems to include Harthill in it if the 275 was ever to extend from Whitburn

overthewater

Established Member
Your mist something FAR MORE important... 287 will go via Wester Inch, given people from this part of the town a direct bus to Livingston.

overthewater

Established Member
The two new timetables are on its website:

* No280: https://lothiancountry.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/280-180930-WEB.pdf

1809-routemap-280.jpg

* 287: https://lothiancountry.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/287-180930-WEB.pdf

1809-routemap-287.jpg

Observer

Where are they getting the drivers people leaving already
So many from a few First depots wanting to jump to the other side, it's going to keep on happening unless First can find a way to appease drivers and keep them from leaving.

overthewater

Established Member
So many from a few First depots wanting to jump to the other side, it's going to keep on happening unless First can find a way to appease drivers and keep them from leaving.

It beyond that point, Its been reported two many times, one of the two Livingston depot runs on the 38 are not turning up.. because there are no drivers to run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.