• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
It's a well known fact at this point that all 3 services are practically dead offpeak and are not exactly carrying anything impressive onpeak.

Again it’s hard to comment, because for most cases folk will get first come first serve but it also depending on where your travelling,

Folk within the city boundary will use the X38 over the 38 especially Ridacard residents, I can’t comment on Winchburgh and I’ve only heard from others that Lothian seems to be the preferred operator in Linlithgow.

I can’t comment on loads but I imagine peak will obviously be busy for any of the operators and folk will no doubt pick what is easier for them, if it’s just a simple return it will be First or if it’s exapdned travel through the city it’s Lothian!

The important thing to remember is this isn’t exactly fact, it’s opinion! There is a difference, Saying that the services are empty off peak is definitely more of an opinion because we don’t know that for sure, unless you travel on the corridor regularly or you work for either company then there’s no real telling here..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Again it’s hard to comment, because for most cases folk will get first come first serve but it also depending on where your travelling,

Folk within the city boundary will use the X38 over the 38 especially Ridacard residents, I can’t comment on Winchburgh and I’ve only heard from others that Lothian seems to be the preferred operator in Linlithgow.

I can’t comment on loads but I imagine peak will obviously be busy for any of the operators and folk will no doubt pick what is easier for them, if it’s just a simple return it will be First or if it’s exapdned travel through the city it’s Lothian!

The important thing to remember is this isn’t exactly fact, it’s opinion! There is a difference, Saying that the services are empty off peak is definitely more of an opinion because we don’t know that for sure, unless you travel on the corridor regularly or you work for either company then there’s no real telling here..

I mean it doesn't take a genius to work out buses are going to all be empty when a corridor that can't support 3 buses per hour is being served by 9 per hour. However i do have a reliable source at the Hall & Co who keeps me informed! That's all I have to say :lol:

NorthClyde320

I can't see First withdrawing the 38 between Linlithgow and Edinburgh just yet, I think they could revise the 38 to every 20 mins and have it timed 5 mins infront of the X38 (they could revise the 1 in Falkirk to every 20 mins to co-ordinate both services).

What happens to LBC X18 on 25.12 at Fauldhouse. Does it stay at Fauldhouse for 42 minutes?
Looks like it, as the X18 isn't coordinated with the 217. Nothing against Fauldhouse railway station but some of these West Lothian tendered journeys seem pretty grim.
Starting a shift on the 217 at 08:16 in Fauldhouse on Christmas or New Year's Day morning can't be many people's idea of fun. I suppose it's fair enough if there are passengers who need to be in, say, St John's at 9am, but not really very rewarding if it runs totally empty (other than financially perhaps). Even in Edinburgh there isn't much on the go before 9am on Christmas Day apart from the 100.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Looks like it, as the X18 isn't coordinated with the 217. Nothing against Fauldhouse railway station but some of these West Lothian tendered journeys seem pretty grim.
Starting a shift on the 217 at 08:16 in Fauldhouse on Christmas or New Year's Day morning can't be many people's idea of fun. I suppose it's fair enough if there are passengers who need to be in, say, St John's at 9am, but not really very rewarding if it runs totally empty (other than financially perhaps). Even in Edinburgh there isn't much on the go before 9am on Christmas Day apart from the 100.

Perhaps that X18 will run off service and another bus will be sent out to cover it?

Although the fact that the X18 is extended to Fauldhouse on Christmas/Boxing Day and New Years Day makes me wonder if Lothian had considered doing this in the future to connect Bathgate-Armadale-Whitburn and Fauldhouse and coordinate it with the X17

Baileygirl

As the 2nd of January is a Sunday service there is no bus (X18) from Bathgate/Whitburn to Fauldhouse as there is on the other holiday days. Passengers would have to travel via Livingston.

overthewater

Established Member
No word of a lie, I was able to see how either 38s were today, around 1ish. X38 has 2 passengers, while the 38.. it look rather busier with at least 10 -15? It was traveling 5min behide it. It really is swings and roundabouts.

Journeyman

Established Member
No word of a lie, I was able to see how either 38s were today, around 1ish. X38 has 2 passengers, while the 38.. it look rather busier with at least 10 -15? It was traveling 5min behide it. It really is swings and roundabouts.

I was on an X38 at 12.50 with eight on board. I saw the 38s in front and behind, and they were empty.

overthewater

Established Member
Must have been the one after then. I should say It was going out of Edinburgh.

Last edited:

Weemidi135

People need remember the true reflection of loads is never going to be true because the 38 Comes from Stirling/Falkirk before hitting Linlithgow bridge so unless someone is standing on Linlithgow bridge counting the passengers before then someone stand at say Newbridge to get the real travel count because that’s where the numbers count

Stef434

The biggest flash point when the 38 run every 30mins was Saturdays, It might be more worthwhile just having 20mins service overall. I think even with all the extra housing being built, demand for Edinburgh off peak will still not raise to make it worthwhile running every 15mins, People in winchburgh might rather go to Linlithgow, Broxburn for the pool or even Livingston ( the later 2 have a 30min service so that is enough) Kirkilton also has Gyle etc People will still take this the wrong way.

Come January another bus is added into the mix, with the Winchburgh bus grant.

There will be further changes in January, the reason for the temp is because the 22 changed in October and there is a 90 day clause. Would it not have made more sense to just clamp on existing 22 as the buses have 2min layover at Eastfield, and made it a though service? I wonder if something bigger is afoot.
Surprised

Baileygirl

Blue Bus will still be running the 71 between Fauldhouse and Livingston on contract to West Lothian Council from the 23rd December.

Would Imagine you can use your tickets to Harthill now aswell while that service is running, Can mind when First had the 235/236 in 2010 you could use the All day tickets and weekly's ect

overthewater

Established Member
I doubt that 34A will last going to Livingston, Is it temporary contract? especially since 71 will be kept and First will be running 22A to Shotts in Jan. Why does SPT need a link to shotts now?

What Stuarts would be better doing is just extending the 34 to Livingston.

NorthClyde320

It looks like only the Forth to Shotts section in subsidised as no one seemed to be wanting to fill it, I don't see the SPT subsidising a route outside there area so Stuarts probably decided to do it commercially (Shotts or Harthill to Livingston). Most likely it is a temporary contract i think.
I doubt Blue Bus will be operating anything after the 23rd following the First and Stuarts registrations.

lastbus

It looks like only the Forth to Shotts section in subsidised as no one seemed to be wanting to fill it, I don't see the SPT subsidising a route outside there area so Stuarts probably decided to do it commercially (Shotts or Harthill to Livingston). Most likely it is a temporary contract i think.
I doubt Blue Bus will be operating anything after the 23rd following the First and Stuarts registrations.
I don’t think there is currently a bus from Forth to shotts? Looks like SPT are only stepping in so people from Forth can get to shotts to catch an onward connection. Stuart’s have obviously decided it’s worthwhile extending to Livingston commercially. I doubt it will be it will all depend on the frequency First operate their 22A service come January.

overthewater

Established Member
22A will be hourly come january at least. I don't understand why SPT and West Lothian council did NOT join forces to create livingston - Breich then 2 hourly to Shotts and 2 hourlys.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
22A will be hourly come january at least. I don't understand why SPT and West Lothian council did NOT join forces to create livingston - Breich then 2 hourly to Shotts and 2 hourlys.

Do you really expect local authorities to work together like that... Aberdeenshire council up here won't even let Stagecoach drop off / pick up passengers within the city on their supported routes.

overthewater

Established Member
YES! It then begs the question why these council departments are so stupid, Another example is 449! you have to wonder why SPT or Sestran was create if there dont talk..

NorthClyde320

I don’t think there is currently a bus from Forth to shotts? Looks like SPT are only stepping in so people from Forth can get to shotts to catch an onward connection. Stuart’s have obviously decided it’s worthwhile extending to Livingston commercially. I doubt it will be it will all depend on the frequency First operate their 22A service come January.

Don't know why I thought there was, I was getting the current 71 & 77 mixed up together. At least areas are still getting a bus of some sorts, all you see and hear nowadays is places cut off due to operator cuts and council cuts.

route101

Established Member
Used the X38 and EX2 yesterday , x38 was a 13 plate eclipse , not a bad load.

Boarded at Haymarket , ex2 was on the tracker but never appeared , one ex2 run was out of action or a ghost bus on tracker . So i got x38 to Linlithgow , ex2 back to Edinburgh , they werent running to timetable , about 15 mins late .

overthewater

Established Member
Also West Lothian council has updated/new website. However LCB seems to be missing from it....

Status
Not open for further replies.