• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Me nor anyone else disputes this fact, as TGW said your been lucky in the current compertition. However you needs are not repsentive of the wider market, and going by how most bus compaines operate, its clearly hightlight that umlimted travel tickets are the best vaule for most, covering a full week or month.

There are also plenty of individual fares where either company is cheaper over the other.

Fine, that's all I'm saying!

However, I've met quite a few people who commute by bus or train because they have to, either because they can't park or because their partner needs the car during the week. They hate the experience and drive everywhere for leisure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver362

The Ex2 works end off. A few tweaks to timing is in the pipeline.. I know this first hand as I drive the b#££y things day in day out. The ex1 was on a hiding to nothing from the start for the various reasons already put forward and discussed. I will concede that. But as I have said since joining this forum partisan or otherwise LC do a better job and, in some cases offer better value than people give them credit for. Sure some of the last changes didn't work so good, but we will get it right sooner or later.

overthewater

Established Member
Again why are we like a dog chasing its tail with the EX2? The mistakes that have been made are being corrected which includes, allowing the day tickets on the EX2 which can only benefit more people, I dont know why some people, not all... are complaining about the facts which are being highlighted this. Non one questioned the EX2.............. some people really need to calm down.

The start of the press complaints have appeared over First service changes:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/west-lothian-residents-anger-after-17549869

Two points, the bus to Airport has been running for over a couple year...

It clearly SAYS Many residents been left angered over the change, which some say will make it more expensive to commute. That was given that was always going to happen

Residents in Kirknewton have been left outraged after First Bus announced plans for a new timetable, which would see services to the town scrapped. The bus firm revealed the changes to their West Lothian network this week, many of which are set to come into effect later this year. These include faster links into Edinburgh's city centre and a service to Edinburgh Airport, which will now travel via Winchburgh and Kirkliston. However, First have come under fire after it emerged that their buses will no longer serve Kirknewton from 27 January.

There was initial confusion over the plans, with residents taking to social media unsure over how their services would be impacted. However, First have confirmed that their Kirknewton services will cease. The company have defended their decision, insisting that services have to attract enough passengers to cover operating costs.

Graeme Macfarlan, Commercial Director for First West Lothian told Edinburgh Live: "We can confirm that as part of a wider package of service changes coming into effect on 27 January, we will no longer serve Kirknewton. "As a commercial business, we have to make sure that the services that we operate attract enough customers to cover their operating costs, while meeting the ever-changing needs of our passengers. “The majority of the route of service 23 will continue to run as service X23, maintaining links from Livingston, Mid Calder, East Calder and Wilkieston with Edinburgh.

“In addition, service X23 will now serve Hermiston Park+Ride and offer passengers unlimited travel between the site and Edinburgh City Centre for only £7 per week – a real saving in comparison to other operators who offer the same ticket for more than double the price.”

Many residents been left angered over the change, which some say will make it more expensive to commute.

One resident wrote on facebook: "So instead of changing the times they cut Kirknewton out, making it more expensive now for people to get to Edinburgh."

scotrail158713

Established Member
Again why are we like a dog chasing its tail with the EX2? The mistakes that have been made are being corrected which includes, allowing the day tickets on the EX2 which can only benefit more people, I dont know why some people, not all... are complaining about the facts which are being highlighted this. Non one questioned the EX2.............. some people really need to calm down.

The start of the press complaints have appeared over First service changes:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/west-lothian-residents-anger-after-17549869

Two points, the bus to Airport has been running for over a couple year...

It clearly SAYS Many residents been left angered over the change, which some say will make it more expensive to commute. That was given that was always going to happen
And how many of these “outraged” residents do we reckon were regular passengers?

CM

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the people who travel from Kirknewton to Edinburgh use the train service. It looks as though First are removing an underused service which they are perfectly entitled to do as a commercial operator and the people who probably don't use the service anyway are having a wee whinge in the local rag.

overthewater

Established Member
That was the plan. Make the local pres kick up a stink over nothing but importantly highlight how First disappearing will make people pay more., because of the lack of a LCB Ridercard.

Driver362

Tbh patronage is very poor for us also in Kirknewton. Its also a pita of a road to take a bus up then down the other side not to mention the level crossing which seems to take for ever to lift and also seems to come down earlier then before too, but I suppose for the people who do use it (normally younger people) , it's a life line of sorts 80p from the centre is pretty good. *soon to increase *

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Are people still groaning on about the EX2?... :rolleyes:

**********Separate Post**********

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the people who travel from Kirknewton to Edinburgh use the train service. It looks as though First are removing an underused service which they are perfectly entitled to do as a commercial operator and the people who probably don't use the service anyway are having a wee whinge in the local rag.

That was my thoughts too. The issue is that sending the X22 or X23 through Kirknewton means it's impossible to maintain a consistent 15 minute frequency between Livingston (Howden Road) and Edinburgh. It's pretty clear with the X22/X23 that they're aiming on taking some passengers off Lothian from Hermiston Park & Ride. Yes there are some losses in these changes, but when you look at the bigger picture it makes a bit more sense.

I do think they should've perhaps retained a hourly 23 however, perhaps have it operate Edinburgh to Dedridge via the current route and then to Ladywell following the route of the 27.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Sadly yes.

That and the repetition on Ridacards, how the ability to travel onwards in Edinburgh is transformative, and more stuff from people on either side of the divide....

Shame, simple conclusion is that the fares vary and the cheapest / most efficient operator varies on each individual passengers needs! One member on here may find that the X27 is cheaper for them than the X22 (or vise versa) but that's very irrelevant in the bigger picture especially in such a large geographic area. Granted there are certain journeys where a comparison can be made (St John's to The Centre for example - albeit again onward travel could be a player still), but on the whole most of the cases posted on here are irrelevant. Sooner people realise the better! We need to keep in mind that the general public are not really that up to date when it comes to buses and can get stuck in their ways, they can also prefer one route over another for very trivial (and some would consider petty) reasons.

In other news it'll be interesting to see if this rumoured second Bright Bus Tours route comes to fruition...

overthewater

Established Member
What has happened to the Winchburgh Bus grant service? that has gone rather quiet. Also the WLC tenders have yet to go out to tender, i wonder what the dealy is. There are suppose to all get replaced in March or April.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
What has happened to the Winchburgh Bus grant service? that has gone rather quiet. Also the WLC tenders have yet to go out to tender, i wonder what the dealy is. There are suppose to all get replaced in March or April.

Wasn't the grant money going towards the 600?

overthewater

Established Member
Was that very recently? This is what causing all the confusion, plus it was only for one bus tender.

jb66

Its impossible to work out how much a ticket costs from first without calling customer services and being put on hold

Volvodart

Established Member
Unless you use the journey planner on Traveline Scotland - they have the fares there if you input your journey.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Someone took a picture of an LCB driver on his phone at the Livingston terminus and posted it on twitter claiming he was smoking

The responses were something else :lol:

Driver362

Someone took a picture of an LCB driver on his phone at the Livingston terminus and posted it on twitter claiming he was smoking

The responses were something else :lol:
Unfortunately some people have nothing better to do / or enjoy getting people into bother, from personal experience it's those good folks that make the job s*? #!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I guess it comes down to the posters intentions, surely if you saw a driver doing something you know they shouldn't you'd report it. Play by the rules and you won't get caught out. However i'm not sure i'd agree there's a need to plaster it all over twitter. And although i wouldn't regard a driver on his phone in a stationary vehicle anything of concern it is probably against company policy. Of course there's the people who'll say you shouldn't report it as you're just ruining someones day, but then the counter argument would be that if a driver knows they shouldn't be doing something then they shouldn't be doing it in the first place and if they get caught out it's their own fault. Again though i really think it comes down to each situation, if the driver was on their phone in the cab with the engine off i don't really see the issue - if the engine was on, handbrake off or the vehicle was moving then it does leave questions.

As for smoking in the cab, that's disgusting and the driver deserves to be reported (if that were truly the case), as does anyone smoking on public transport.

I guess it comes down to the posters intentions, surely if you saw a driver doing something you know they shouldn't you'd report it. Play by the rules and you won't get caught out. However i'm not sure i'd agree there's a need to plaster it all over twitter. And although i wouldn't regard a driver on his phone in a stationary vehicle anything of concern it is probably against company policy. Of course there's the people who'll say you shouldn't report it as you're just ruining someones day, but then the counter argument would be that if a driver knows they shouldn't be doing something then they shouldn't be doing it in the first place and if they get caught out it's their own fault. Again though i really think it comes down to each situation, if the driver was on their phone in the cab with the engine off i don't really see the issue - if the engine was on, handbrake off or the vehicle was moving then it does leave questions.

As for smoking in the cab, that's disgusting and the driver deserves to be reported (if that were truly the case), as does anyone smoking on public transport.
Perhaps, but the photo shows the person is standing on the platform with the door open, not sitting in the cab, and their phone and/or smoking material is in the open air. Maybe they are both using their phone and smoking, but it's only just technically inside the bus if you look at where their feet are. Honestly this one so tight it's like some of the VAR replays in football matches. Frankly I don't really trust the poster's intentions.
I know everyone expresses themselves in different ways, and I'm sure many observations are absolutely valid, but Lothian Country's Twitter account does seem to have a few correspondents who come across as being somewhat belligerent.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Perhaps, but the photo shows the person is standing on the platform with the door open, not sitting in the cab, and their phone and/or smoking material is in the open air. Maybe they are both using their phone and smoking, but it's only just technically inside the bus if you look at where their feet are. Honestly this one so tight it's like some of the VAR replays in football matches. Frankly I don't really trust the poster's intentions.
I know everyone expresses themselves in different ways, and I'm sure many observations are absolutely valid, but Lothian Country's Twitter account does seem to have a few correspondents who come across as being somewhat belligerent.

Just for clarity i haven't seen the photo, so i was commenting only on what had been posted here. If what your saying is the case then i'd probably agree that the poster had ill intentions and was wrong to take the photo and splatter it on social media - if there's a genuine reason for concern then report it, but clearly the person on this occasion had an agenda!

NorthClyde320

Surely Lothian could introduce a 'Countrycard' for the West Lothian area and a 'Countycard' for the East Lothian area, and perhaps rename the 'Ridacard' as 'Citycard'. Maybe the reason for the lack of card outwith the City is Lothian may think it will loose money if a lot of people had one?, but surely it could mean more people swithching to the bus if the price was more competitive, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.